Yoga Folks discussion

Yoga's Healing Power: Looking Inward for Change, Growth, and Peace
This topic is about Yoga's Healing Power
Yoga's Healing Power discussion > October group read: Yoga's Healing Power

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 808 comments Mod
Hello Yoga Folks:

As you may have discovered by now, I like yoga books that influence our lives off the mat as much as on it. I'd hoped Baron Baptiste's book would do that, and, while it did for some, many of us were disappointed that it remained too superficial.

Toward that end I have stumbled upon another good book that is much more personal and much more probing. It's going to be our October read. (Sorry for the short notice, but my own book, Enlightened Parenting, launches in mid-November and I'll be tied up that month :)

Yoga's Healing Power, by Los Angeles-based longtime yogi Ally Hamilton, combines discussions about life, the yoga sutras, specific asanas related to her various topics, optional journaling and meditations. Hamilton shares her own faults, insecurities, faulty decisions, childhood traumas, bad boyfriends, divorce and the like (and I'm only on page 35!) as well as her successes--prompting the reader to think about ours.

Chapters include The Power of Vulnerability, First Do No Harm, Let's Talk About Sex, Trust Your Journey, Know Yourself, A Gratitude Practice, and more. The book is short (under 200 pages), so I'll break our discussion into two sections. Jump in when you've gotten about halfway through and then again at the end.

It's a new book that's available in paperback on Amazon for about $14 and Kindle for $10. I doubt you can find it in the library since it's not out in hardcover. (It is also available as an audiobook for those who prefer listening.)

Since it's already October, I'll post prompts on the first half the week of October 10. I'm pretty sure I can get Ally Hamilton to join the discussion at the end, so we can get a separate thread going on questions we would like to direct to the author.

Please let us know if you plan to join us. (Again, if life intervenes and you don't, no worries.)

Love & light to all of you!
Meryl

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Oh, thank you!!!!! I have spent this morning scrolling the web looking for yogic inspiration. This is exactly what I needed! Downloaded to Kindle and ready to go. Thank you Meryl! Hoping to get back on the mat this week and bring yoga back into my life. ~blessings Diana

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Paschal (jillpaschalyoga) Sounds like a great book. Excited to "catch-up" reading this one.

Kelli Saginak (ksaginak) Hi Everyone! So happy to have been invited to join this group. As I wrote in my introduction, I've been following Ally for about 5 years now. I found her when I was first learning yoga at home. My doctor recommended that I try yoga to help ease some of body pain from arthritis. As you're probably aware, Ally owns a studio in Santa Monica, Yogis Anonymous, which has an online, streaming subscription that you can sign up to receive. I learned yoga using Ally's beginner's series at home until I was brave enough to join a local studio where I still practice today. Ally also has a wonderful blog! So glad to be here with you all! :)

message 5: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Knight | 1 comments Thank you so much for inviting me to your group!! I had the pleasure of seeing Ally speak at Barnes and Noble in NYC and it completely turned me onto the book. I started to read it and then life got in the way but the beginning was so good so being a part of this group will inspire me to continue reading it and talk about it. Thanks Cara

Kelli, is the online subscription a Hatha class or is it discussions about the broader philosophy of yoga?

Welcome, Cara! Glad to have been the impetus for you to get back to Ally's book. I'm finding a lot of food for thought in it.

Kelli Saginak (ksaginak) Meryl wrote: "Kelli, is the online subscription a Hatha class or is it discussions about the broader philosophy of yoga?"

The online subscription is a variety of yoga classes. The instructors do some philosophy teaching while teaching the classes. Very well done!

Robert Miller I really did enjoy this book and found it helpful and inspiring. It felt accessible to the novice, and the author showed a real sense of humility.

Hi Robert:

Glad you enjoyed the book. Check out the prompts and discussion in the other threads on the book to continued a more in depth conversation.