.. discussion

Replica (Replica, #1)
This topic is about Replica
Lauren Oliver > How will you read Replica?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lex (last edited Oct 02, 2016 05:31AM) (new) - added it

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
The results are in, and are obvious, we will be reading Replica by Lauren Oliver this month! Woohoo. I'm curious to know how you will be reading Replica and your thoughts about the formatting.

1. Will you read Lyra and Gemma's stories separately or alternate between both stories one chapter at a time?

2. How do you feel about Replica being formatted as a flip book?

I'm going to read Replica by flipping between both POVs. I love books with multiple POVs and I don't feel this book will be any different from that. The set up of Replica is unique but It's a dual perspective story and instead of the conventional layout, the story's are separated. It was a good idea, obviously, it created so much buzz because the book is a flip book and we haven't seen that in a long time. In a way, at least for me, this book gives me a sense of nostalgia and it may be because I remember reading books that flipped like this one when I was a child. Am I the only one who feels nostalgia?

message 2: by Alyce (new) - added it

Alyce Hunt (alliesaur) I definitely feel that nostalgia, which is one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to reading it.
I'm going to read the stories separately, but I haven't decided whose viewpoint to start with yet!

message 3: by Lex (last edited Oct 02, 2016 09:00AM) (new) - added it

Alyce wrote: "I definitely feel that nostalgia, which is one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to reading it.
I'm going to read the stories separately, but I haven't decided whose viewpoint to start with yet!"

Yay! I'm not the only one. Ouu, let us know how you enjoy reading the book like that!

I thought about reading it like that but I'm not big on books that get sequels from, let's say, the boy's POV instead of the original that was in the girls POV. So I'll be reading both perspectives simultaneously. since I really enjoy multiple perspectives in books.

Have you read any of Lauren Oliver's other books?

message 4: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay J | 26 comments I have to get this book, im interested in seeing this format.

message 5: by Lex (new) - added it

Kay wrote: "I have to get this book, im interested in seeing this format."

It's pretty cool. Let us know what you think when you get a copy!

message 6: by Lex (new) - added it

Has anyone else started reading Replica? I've started reading today and I'm finding flipping the chunky book after each chapter, at least at the starting point, a bit challenging. Anyone else?

Roxanne | 75 comments I am on hold for the library, but it is overdrive so I will be interested to see how the kindle format works for the book. I don't know if I will be able to flip back and forth between the two viewpoints so I will probably just read it straight forward.

message 8: by Lex (new) - added it

Roxanne wrote: "I am on hold for the library, but it is overdrive so I will be interested to see how the kindle format works for the book. I don't know if I will be able to flip back and forth between the two view..."

It us know!

message 9: by Lex (new) - added it

I'm really struggling to read this book by flipping between both perspectives one chapter at a time. I think from this point I'll be reading on perspective at a time.

How's everyone else enjoying the formatting of "Replica"?

Roxanne | 75 comments I will i just got the hold in, but haven't looked at the book yet.

Roxanne | 75 comments Okay so i am flipping back in and forth. The kindle edition has a link at the end of the chapter for flipping between the pov. Only downside is when you get done with gemma it takes you back too the beginning of the chapter you just read. So you have to flip to the next chapter. Not sure if i will keep flipping though.

Finley | 2 comments I just finished reading it, and I actually liked the fact I read Lyra first, then Gemma. Like Roxanne, I read it as an ebook through Overdrive, and they had Lyra as the default starting point, so I just went with it. I kind of liked it that way, because I feel like there were a lot of reveals about all the characters in Gemma's story, whereas Lyra's only had things about her and the Replica's, so reading Lyra then Gemma helped maintain some mystery until the end.

Roxanne | 75 comments Oh that's a great point! Now I kind of wish I had done that too! You did find out things faster flipping between them.

message 14: by Lex (new) - added it

Roxanne wrote: "Oh that's a great point! Now I kind of wish I had done that too! You did find out things faster flipping between them."

Finley wrote: "I just finished reading it, and I actually liked the fact I read Lyra first, then Gemma. Like Roxanne, I read it as an ebook through Overdrive, and they had Lyra as the default starting point, so I..."

I'm so conflicted, guys! I think I have to put this book down for now and come back to it when I'm in the mood to read it again. I'll keep in mind to read Lyra's perspective first because I started with Gemma's the first time around.