50 books to read before you die discussion

The Shining
This topic is about The Shining
63 views

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Oct 02, 2016 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine Group read for Ocotber 2016 - 100 books


message 2: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary | 4 comments it was not as scary that i thought it would be


Buck (spectru) I read the The shining in 1978, living in a motel room - had just been transferred by the company I worked for. It was good. I think I read The Stand about that time, but I can't remember if it was before or after. My first Stephen King books.

But I thought the (view spoiler) was superfluous. The story was great without that. King did the same sort of thing in the stand.

I guess most people have seen the great Jack Nicholson movie. Great movie.


message 4: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary | 4 comments I have not seen the Nicholson version or the Weber movie. I saw the Friends episode that said that it was so scary. I was a little disappointed that it was not a scary book.


Katy Mann | 19 comments Buck wrote: "I read the The shining in 1978, living in a motel room - had just been transferred by the company I worked for. It was good. I think I read The Stand about that time, but I can't remember if it was..."

I re-read The Shining just before Dr. Sleep came out a few years ago. The Jack Nicholson movie had planted itself so firmly in my mind that I was surprised at some of the differences. Wendy was beautiful in the book, not a caricature of Olive Oyl from Popeye the way she was presented in the movie.

Overall, I enjoyed re-reading it.


Alex (joggler) | 2 comments Maybe I'm a scaredy cat, I found this terrifying! I thought the suspense and tension built up gradually to an explosive crescendo (view spoiler). This was an intense and exciting read for me and I really enjoyed the author's storytelling.

On another note, I've also read the Stand but found that it lost momentum towards the end and did not enjoy it as much as the Shining. So Stephen King has been hit and miss out of his two books I've read so far. I'm keen to read another - any recommendations?


Katy Mann | 19 comments Alex wrote: "Maybe I'm a scaredy cat, I found this terrifying! I thought the suspense and tension built up gradually to an explosive crescendo [spoilers removed]. This was an intense and exciting read for me an..."

Mist (they are reading it now on another thread) is a novella that I liked. I also liked Duma Key. It was published after his accident and I think has a different tone.


Alex (joggler) | 2 comments Katy wrote: "Alex wrote: "Maybe I'm a scaredy cat, I found this terrifying! I thought the suspense and tension built up gradually to an explosive crescendo [spoilers removed]. This was an intense and exciting r..."

Thanks Katy!


Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments I saw the movie in the theater when it first came out, and it scared me silly! It is still one of my favorite movies. I have had the book for years, but never read it. Now that I have, I am kind of disappointed in it. There were a few things in the book that clarified parts of the movie (for example, when Wendy sees the two men in costume in the hotel room), but this is one of the few times where I preferred the movie over the book. The one thing I did prefer in the book is that *SPOILER* Hallorann survived.


Christine I have just finished this. I have never seen the movie but I really enjoyed the book. I enjoyed the suspense and tension, especially Hallorann trying to get back to the hotel and nothing going right.


Haley | 1 comments I just finished this recently. I had seen the movie, but I decided to read the book because they always explain things better of course. For me it wasn't scary but I don't get scared easily.


message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 19 comments Haley wrote: "I just finished this recently. I had seen the movie, but I decided to read the book because they always explain things better of course. For me it wasn't scary but I don't get scared easily."

It was interesting to finally read the book after seeing the movie countless times (during the Halloween season) over the years.


Christine I think one of the scariest parts is when (view spoiler)


message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 19 comments Christine wrote: "I think one of the scariest parts is when [spoilers removed]"

That was one of my favorites too.


Kayleigh | 77 comments I liked this book much more than I thought I was going to. My mum always insisted that the adaptations weren't a patch on the book itself, and I absolutely agree with that.

I have just picked up a copy of Doctor Sleep from the library, fingers crossed it's just as good as The Shining.


message 16: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Kayleigh wrote: "I have just picked up a copy of Doctor Sleep from the library, fingers crossed it's just as good as The Shining"

I haven't read Doctor Sleep, but I have read several Stephen King novels. Some are very good, and some are just pretty, but I haven't come across one that's poor. King is a very readable author.


back to top