Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Shortish on Reads in September 2/3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments I changed it to 3 parts because I discovered that I really did read ten books. I miscounted. Yay me!

5)The Tumbling Turner Sisters by Juliette Fay (historical fiction) 339 pages. Source: Goodreads Giveaway Started: 9/11 Finished: 9/16

Why Read: Since I won a GR giveaway book in 2015, I thought I wouldn't win another one for years. That had been my previous pattern. I also won another book from GR in 2016 in addition to this one. So I was having a run of good luck. I entered this giveaway because I love acrobats. It's about a vaudville acrobatic act that begins in 1919.

Comments: The book is entertaining. The racism issue gives it extra significance. It's an accurate picture of the times. B+

6)Book of Moons by Rosemary Edghill (Wiccan mystery) 220 pages. Source: Library Started: 9/17 Finished: 9/18

Why Read: I read the first in this series about a Wiccan detective in New York some time ago. Wicca is a modern polytheistic religion. The author of this novel understands it very well. The premise is that there's a book which proves that Mary Queen of Scots was a witch and someone is willing to kill to get hold of it. I was intrigued.

Comments: Interesting idea, but superficial. Rating B.

7)Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous by G. Willow Wilson (graphic novel)

Why Read: I'm interested in the first Muslim female superhero and American Muslim G. Willow Wilson who writes the series.

Comments: Ms. Marvel goes up against a developer who is eliminating local stores, and her brother has fallen in love with an African American. There's lots of interesting stuff going on. Rating B+

8)Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don’t Know What You’re Eating and What You Can Do about It by Larry Olmsted (food) 318 pages. Source: Library Started: 9/18 Finished: 9/21

Why Read: I'm concerned about this issue. I'm trying to eat healthy and fake food is interfering with my decision making.

Comments: The author is primarily a gourmet who believes that food should be made traditionally in the place where it has been made for centuries. It's an interesting book, but it wasn't always relevant to me. I recommend it as a resource. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments Shomeret- Yay ten books! At month end I sometimes wish I had read fewer books so less to recap, (ha) but ten is a nice number.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments As always, quite an interesting array of books! You had some good reading this month. And a great book count!