Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Archives > October 2016 - Final thoughts **Spoilers Allowed** - In The Woods

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 9446 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you'd like) on In the Woods by Tana French

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Here's my review for this one! Loved it and gave it 5s

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2 comments This was a really great read, but I really couldn't say I 'enjoyed' it. I was so annoyed at the lead character, Rob Ryan, at times, and I was incredibly frustrated how his life fell apart in the months following the murder. It was such a waste! Also very frustrated that he got no answers about the disappearance of his two friends - i really wanted that mystery solved.

message 4: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Phrynne | 3657 comments Mod
I only gave that one three stars because I hated the unsolved mystery! The next one was better.

message 5: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) Exceptionally fine writing - I absolutely loved this book. Not ready to write a review yet. Need to let my thoughts crystallise. However, I can say I was greatly impressed by the characterisation in the novel. Yes, those key characters were indeed flawed, but to me that added an extra quality to the story. This is one of the best crime novels I've read in ages, and a definite 5 star score from me.

message 6: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Well said Mary :) I remember loving it too :)

message 7: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 679 comments Finished, and loved this one. Suspected from the start that there would not be a resolution of the old mystery, but this added to the book for me, rather than taking anything away. Could also see early on who was behind the new mystery, could see the whole unravelling of lives that was going to occur, and it all gave the book a deep and multilayered sadness. 4.5*

message 8: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Well done Kerri! Book 2 for you soon?

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 1391 comments Finished and enjoyed this one too. Like Jenn, I felt the middle got a bit bogged down with Rob's melt down but I do agree with Mary that it was a part of his character and understandable that he thought he could handle dragging up the past but couldn't. I would have liked a little hint at what had happened to Rob's two friends (maybe just a little flash back!) but I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't solved. I loved Cassie and it was sad that she lost her close friendship with Rob.
review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Great review Carolyn!

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

In the Woods (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tana French (other topics)