Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

The Goldfinch
This topic is about The Goldfinch
2016 Book of the Month > October 2016 The Goldfinch

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (last edited Oct 01, 2016 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val Welcome to this month's read of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

It is a long book, so please carry on reading it into November or beyond (if you are enjoying it, that is).

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/201...
http://www.salon.com/2014/06/13/donna...

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 343 comments i read this when it was published... and didn't love it enough to want to reread it now. sorry! but, i am curious to hear how people respond to this one.

message 3: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val Don't apologise Jennifer, quite a lot of us have passed on books we have already read, especially ones we didn't like much the first time.

If you want to post a few thoughts on what you liked or didn't about the book, they will be very welcome.

message 4: by Drew (new) - added it

Drew (drewlynn) | 18 comments I also read it when it was published and mostly enjoyed it. I will not be rereading it now but I'd love to join in here and there.

message 5: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val The group has gone very quiet recently. I'm hoping it will become more lively when next year's long list is announced.
There will still be open threads for the monthly books and for nominations, so just comment whenever you feel like it.

message 6: by JenniferD (last edited Oct 04, 2016 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 343 comments Val wrote: "If you want to post a few thoughts on what you liked or didn't about the book, they will be very welcome. "

i always get a bit hesitant to comment when i haven't liked a book as much as others - and this book is a perfect example of that. heh! so many people have loved it and been blown away. i was mostly 'meh' and found it a bit... bloated. oops!! (sorry!! and, man - one of my favourite things in the world is a great, chunky novel! so it was a bummer.)

my memory is fairly terrible, but i believe one of my issues (beyond the bloated bit) going into the read was my own expectations. the goldfinch was actually my first time reading tartt - though i own her other two books. tartt is so highly regarded by readers and critics, and so many of my reading friends love her. so it was a challenge to keep my expectations in check, even though that is usually something i work hard to do.

i know i reviewed it here on GR, i'll have to go back and read what i wrote. :)

* edited for typo only

message 7: by Drew (new) - added it

Drew (drewlynn) | 18 comments I'll chime in and say that although I found the book a real page turner, it also seemed a bit bloated. The whole end section in Amsterdam could have used some serious editing.

One of the things I loved was the section in Las Vegas. I visited some friends there a few years ago and recognized those housing developments with partially-finished and abandoned houses. It really captured that creepy feeling.

Sheri | 49 comments I read this in my book club right after it came out. I loved the story of the boy and the painting (trying not to give anything away here) & gave it four stars. I have seen the painting at an exhibit and thought it was stunningly beautiful- well worth its place as the main character of such a long novel. I remember our book club was very divided about whether it was a good book, though I think that made for some interesting discussion!

message 9: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val The first time I read it, it did not really seem that long, because most of it is pacy, there is a lot going on and it is well written, but there are some overblown bits which could have been cut down, so perhaps she needed a knowledgeable and forceful editor to turn it into a truly good book.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Val wrote: "The first time I read it, it did not really seem that long, because most of it is pacy, there is a lot going on and it is well written, but there are some overblown bits which could have been cut d..."

I found it long-winded, disjointed and uninteresting!!! Occasional sections were very well done but then there would be a switch to something that was banal. Pages on art and critics etc that just had me yawning!!! It was listed as a type of thriller but I found that side of the story to be the most boring - there was no tension there was no desire to see what was coming - in short very disappointing - and I have enjoyed this author in the past. It seems to be a literary marmite as some people seem to have loved it.

Sheri | 49 comments Penny wrote: "It seems to be a literary marmite.."

That made me chuckle, Penny- perfect analogy!

message 12: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val We all seem to have a broad agreement that there are some good bits and some long-winded, boring bits to this book. We have rated it at anything from 2 stars to 5 stars, which is quite a spread. I suppose that reflects the extent to which the good bits outweigh the boring bits, or don't.

Who has read her other books The Secret History and The Little Friend?

message 13: by Drew (new) - added it

Drew (drewlynn) | 18 comments Val wrote: "We all seem to have a broad agreement that there are some good bits and some long-winded, boring bits to this book. We have rated it at anything from 2 stars to 5 stars, which is quite a spread. I ..."

I loved The Secret History but didn't care much for The Little Friend. The writing was excellent but the story meandered around with no resolution. I may have had unrealistic expectations but the book seemed like it needed an ending. Sometimes that doesn't bother me but this time it did.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
yes I agree with Drew - The Secret History was her best book that I have read.