EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
This topic is about Good Omens
MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > Good Omens - *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaseadillla (new) - added it

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Opening discussions for the group's October 2016 Modern Classic/Popular pick: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Spoooooooooky.

This discussion is FULL OF SPOILERS. If you haven't read the book and don't want to ruin it, please head on over to the spoiler-free discussion HERE .

Happy reading!!

Sarah | 799 comments I'm not finished with this book yet, but almost. Usually after I read a book, one sentence, term, or phrase sticks out in my mind. For Frankenstein it was "Nature vs. Nurture." With Good Omens it's "Yin and Yang." I loved how even the angel had some mischief in him and the demon had some soft spots. I believe this is my first apocalypse read and I give mad props to the authors for taking a subject that's been so universally speculated upon and giving it such a unique, comical, and magical spin! This book will definitely remain in my permanent home library!

Sarah | 799 comments Finished. A bit anticlimactic in my opinion, but an entertaining read. I ended up giving it 3/5 stars, although I had been leaning towards 4 stars before Adam called the whole thing off and it just kinda fizzled out from there. I did like Adam's while speech about letting people figure things out instead of messin' them around!

message 4: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 1161 comments Mod
It's back! Feel free to share you thoughts, your likes and dislikes, and to discuss in detail this book.

Not looking for spoilers? Head over to the pre-read thread.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Kowalewski | 5 comments I started this one a few days ago and I'm about a third of the way in. I do enjoy the writing style and the British humor, but I'm having a hard time getting into the story itself. The beginning part where the babies were switched had me so confused!! The angel and the devil are interesting characters and I enjoy their dialogue, but some of the other characters and subplots are a bit dull to me. Gonna keep at it though :)

Shelley | 41 comments I listened to the audio book in July. It was entertaining. Interestingly, I'm almost certain somebody recommended this to me about 15 years ago, and I wasn't interested.

message 7: by Nitz (last edited Sep 01, 2019 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nitz | 9 comments I loved this book! It is one of the best books I have read recently. Really enjoyed the writing style and the humour. I already knew most of what was going to happen because I had watched the TV show but that did not affect my experience of reading.
It slightly bothered me that this was slightly less inclusive than the TV show in terms of diversity but I understand that it was written in 1990.

Basak | 43 comments What a great book this was!

Gretchen Nitz wrote: "I loved this book! It is one of the best books I have read recently. Really enjoyed the writing style and the humour. I already knew most of what was going to happen because I had watched the TV sh..."

I also watched the television show before reading this book. I think the tv show lived up to the book despite the couple of changes they made. I loved the writing style and humor, and the fact that the author pushed to make the tv show more diverse on purpose pleased me.

Melinda | 117 comments This was an interesting read. The book was definitely very chaotic, and it took me a bit to get used to the character switches. I did get a little lost at times because there was so much going on as to who was who and why what they were doing was important. Overall, it was an enjoyable book. I plan to binge watch the series soon so I can compare the two. Based on the comments I will not be disappointed.

Melinda | 117 comments Amy wrote: "The beginning part where the babies were switched had me so confused!!“

I’m with you! I had no idea who ended up where!

message 12: by Paty (new)

Paty Nady | 1 comments I read this book when I was a teenager and literally rolled on the floor laughing. Reread it now. Very good.

Tell teenagers to read, the experience will be superb! IT's like reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy when in your teens. It will mark you and your humor forever

message 13: by Shelley (last edited Sep 04, 2019 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelley | 41 comments Paty wrote: "Tell teenagers to read, the experience will be superb!"

I read this largely because my 17-year-old wants to watch the tv show. It looks pretty funny, but I wanted an idea of what we would be getting into. Anyway, she liked it, but she struggled with what she called the "adultness" of it. Really, she was unfamiliar with '90's culture. Once I explained the whole Elvis thing and some of the other references, she wasn't as lost. She did enjoy the humor.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Sep 04, 2019 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 396 comments I really enjoyed it.
It is the most disorganized, yet entertaining apocalypse ever.
I'm hoping to squeeze in a reread!

message 15: by Madeline (new) - added it

Madeline I may be one of the few people that didn't like this. I had a really hard time getting through it. I found it to be slow paced and the only reason I stuck with it is because there were a couple parts that actually made me laugh out loud. I love dry humor but I think the story itself is clunky.

Korina | 22 comments I think this is one of the few cases where I’ll say I liked the screen adaptation better than the book! BUT that being said I still enjoyed the book a lot and it had some interesting aspects that the show missed out on, such as Adam’s internal thought process. I actually liked Adam much more as a character in the book. Probably because I could understand him more fully. Also, I love Neil Gaiman, so I doubt I’ll ever actually dislike anything he writes :)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Madeline wrote: "I may be one of the few people that didn't like this. I had a really hard time getting through it. I found it to be slow paced and the only reason I stuck with it is because there were a couple par..."

I'm with you. I read this one a couple years ago and I expected to really enjoy it. I have read several books by both authors and enjoyed them all to varying degrees. This book however was the exception. It felt disjointed to me from a storyline perspective but even worse it felt long and drawn out and not funny. I seem to have a tough time with religious humor (I am not religious) so maybe that's part of it in my case. I did think it was interesting that Death appeared in this book much as he does in the Discworld books, even down to speaking ALL IN CAPITALS.

message 18: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments I haven't read any of Terry Pratchett's other work, but my guess is that most of the good and funny stuff came from him. People rave about Gaiman, but I've read a few of his books and I've never enjoyed them as much as I expected to. He does seem to struggle with pacing in a lot of his work, IMO.

Vanessa (vanessa_the_dependasaurus) | 50 comments I enjoyed this one! I admit, the flow took some getting used to; the story went from character to character so abruptly, but about halfway through the book it didn’t phase me. My favorite parts were when Aziraphale and Crowley interacted with each other, they’re so funny together! My least favorite parts were when the kids took over the story, they just didn’t hold my attention. Overall, I thought it was a witty and very entertaining read!!

message 20: by Emily (last edited Sep 11, 2019 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily | 2 comments I really enjoyed the book, and found myself actually laughing out loud throughout. I particularly liked the use of footnotes in drawing attention to the very British-ness of the story and just adding an extra layer of silliness. I was a little disappointed with the resolution, but all in all I had a lot of fun reading this book!

message 21: by Betsy (new) - rated it 1 star

Betsy | 820 comments Mod
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this an unappetising read. I didn't find it funny, only slow and drawn out. Good to know what doesn't work for you I guess.

Robin Yao (rwiiihardy) | 205 comments RJ wrote: " I did think it was interesting that Death appeared in this book much as he does in the Discworld books, even down to speaking ALL IN CAPITALS."

I also thought it interesting: according to the authors, the Four Horsemen were mostly Neil's idea. Death was a pleasant surprise to me! :D

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Kowalewski | 5 comments I just finished this one yesterday. I liked the British-ness of it, and some of the humor, but I found the pacing somewhat difficult. The story line was also a bit hard to follow and I kept losing focus throughout. I can see why some people would love this type of book, but it wasn't really for me. Which I was surprised by because I like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Maybe if I read this one again I would like it better the second time around.

message 24: by Betsy (new) - rated it 1 star

Betsy | 820 comments Mod
Amy, I also really liked the Hitchhiker's Guide but I think it feels different coming from an older era. the humour was fresher, or at least unpredictable in a predictable way, you know? This novel didn't feel new or original in that same way.

message 25: by Betsy (new) - rated it 1 star

Betsy | 820 comments Mod
What did you find disappointing about the ending, Emily?

Victoria Arvonen  | 13 comments @Vanessa
I’m about halfway through the book and I totally agree. I feel the kids are actually super obnoxious, and a lot of their conversations dragged on for me. I do understand how they were connected to actual events and Adams power though.
Was anyone else confused about how the hellhound was owned by Warlock and then was suddenly Adams??

Victoria Arvonen  | 13 comments I just barely finished the book, and here are some of my impressions. I really found the characters endearing, especially Crowley and Arizaphael, most of us can agree on that I think. I do think the ending was not what I expected, but I shouldn't be surprised with the kind of tone of the entire book as a whole, and knowing Gaiman. It overall was a very good read, clever, made me laugh at times. I definitely have the show to watch on my list now, and I heard Benedict Cumberbatch is in it, so even better ;)

lethe | 87 comments I had read the Dutch translation 6 years ago, but I have now finished the English (or rather American) version.

For me it is a solid 3 stars. I enjoyed reading it, I laughed out loud several times, but I thought it was too long drawn out.

Also, they were clearly indebted to Douglas Adams, but I would prefer The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy any day of the week.