EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > Good Omens - pre-read

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaseadillla (last edited Oct 01, 2016 09:13PM) (new)

Kaseadillla | 1349 comments Mod
Opening discussions for the group's October 2016 Modern Classic/Popular pick: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Spoooooooooky.

This discussion is SPOILER FREE. If you've read the book and want to discuss, please head on over to the spoiler filled discussion HERE .

Happy reading!!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments Just got my copy in the mail yesterday, it looks awesome!

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments I requested this one from the library. Although it says I am next in "line" it has been that way for a few weeks so I am not sure what is going on.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments Just starting this one! Wishing I hadn't gotten the small paperback that is hard to hold open while laying in bed :P

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I did an audio re-read of this few months ago. It was always one of my favorite partly because I love both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I also have an affinity for fantasy works that have angles and demons in them. What makes this book special is the way "good" and "evil" intersect, how your actions (not your label) makes you a good guy or a bay guy.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments Very late to the party, but finally going to try to get started on this tonight.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments I'm really irked. I thought I knew exactly where my copy of this book was. Apparently not because I can't find it.
And our library's only copy is checked out :(

So even though I'm the one who suggested it, I won't be getting around to read this any time soon. Grr.

message 8: by Kaseadillla (new)

haha same I ordered this and then it was out of stock. Jokes. Buddy read next month? ;)

message 9: by Leesa (new)

Leesa Happy Halloween!

I am also failing miserably with Frankenstein- I have started it but I'm less than half way through! It's not going to plan at all...

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments Happy Halloween!

On page 271 of Good Omens. Anybody else reading it?!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments Good Omens*

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments Kaseadillla wrote: "haha same I ordered this and then it was out of stock. Jokes. Buddy read next month? ;)"

That would work for me....
I am now on a search and destroy mission for this book. I'm half convinced it grew legs and walked away.
Or I'm just totally losing it and moved the book and just don't remember....

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments I found my copy yesterday, yay!

Hoping to squeeze it in this month, though I have a number of other things on the list for the month.

message 14: by Kaseadillla (new)

I just started it!!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 540 comments I won't be reading this book. It has over 100 holds at the library

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huerta | 1 comments I'm listening to the audiobook. Very entertaining so far! Looking forward to reading the book, and then watching the series on Amazon Prime.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy Kowalewski | 5 comments I've had this in my audible library for awhile! looking forward to starting it today!

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin Yao (rwiiihardy) | 211 comments I've been thinking of reading this book for so long! Finally got the chance to finish it last weekend. What a fun ride!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments I enjoyed this book a great deal. It is such a fun read.

message 20: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 68 comments I am so excited to read this! I adored the show and meant to read the book before that but I didn’t manage. This month I ‘failed’ again so this group’s buddy for next month is just perfect!

I can’t wait to get back to these idiots 💜

message 21: by Anett (new)

Anett Kovacs | 47 comments I read the book last year in November because I was really excited about the show and I loved it! The show was amazing as well, can wholeheartedly recommend both!

message 22: by Caffeinate (new)

Caffeinate Me | 9 comments Started it today after loving the show. Very excited for this books!

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1162 comments Don't forget that this is our catch-up book this month! Who's excited for this one? Are you reading it for the first time, or is this a reread?

Don't forget to go to the spoilers thread to discuss details of the book as this is the spoiler-free zone.

Thanks, and enjoy; happy reading!

message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 117 comments I’ll be reading this book this month. It will be my first time reading it. I can’t wait to read it then follow it up with the TV show about it. I just love reading a book then watching the movie/TV show. I hope the tv series follows the book - I hate when they stray.

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I didn't know there was a TV show. I may have to check that out.

message 26: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 68 comments I haven't heard anyone not liking the show, people both having read the book, and people having not read it! I absolutely adore it!

message 27: by Nelson (new)

Nelson R. | 26 comments I can't wait to read this book, super excited to read it.

message 28: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 98 comments I listened to the audio book in July. Just a "heads up" for anyone planning to listen to the audio book who has not already read the book: On the audio book version I listened to, there was no pause, change of voice, or other indication that the time, setting, person talking, etc. has changed. Thus, I had quite a few "Wait. What?" moments at first. In the printed book, there is probably a nice blank line of space indicating that something has changed, but not so much on audio.

message 29: by Nelson (new)

Nelson R. | 26 comments I just started this book today, I heard so much about it! I didn't know there was a show, so I will watch after i finish the book.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 343 comments Renee wrote: "I didn't know there was a TV show. I may have to check that out."

Nelson wrote: "I just started this book today, I heard so much about it! I didn't know there was a show, so I will watch after i finish the book."

The show was really good!
I binged it when it hit Amazon Video.

message 31: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 861 comments Mod
I just realised I have this on my bookshelf :) Let's crack the spine open then...

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana Thering | 13 comments I have the audio version and excited to dive in, yet there are so many books I start on audible and determine it’d be a much better book to read - does anyone feel this way about this book? Is it better to read than listen to?

message 33: by lethe (new)

lethe | 92 comments Dana wrote: "I have the audio version and excited to dive in, yet there are so many books I start on audible and determine it’d be a much better book to read - does anyone feel this way about this book? Is it b..."

See Shelley's comment upthread (#28).

message 34: by Storm (new)

Storm | 170 comments Starting this today! My friend lent me his copy

message 35: by Rowen (last edited Sep 29, 2019 10:04PM) (new)

Rowen | 47 comments I stated this last night. So far I'm really enjoying it.

message 36: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 68 comments I finished it last night and it’s an instant favorite, though I already knew that when I hit the dramatis personae. Absolutely brilliant!