Reading 1001 discussion

The Brothers Karamazov
This topic is about The Brothers Karamazov
Archives > 1. Karamazov Brothers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour 1. How are the three Karamazov brothers like or unlike their father?

Kristel (kristelh) | 3964 comments Mod
I thought they were like their father except possibly Alyosha. Dmitri is most like his father especially in that Dmitri is so emotional, verbal and impulsive. Ivan is quieter but still had a resemblance to the father, perhaps the unknown aspects of the father. Alyosha was the son that everyone liked and therefore was least like his father.

Book Wormy | 1932 comments Mod
I think Kristel has covered it would also add that Dmitri and his father shared the same taste in women and the same paranoia

message 4: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1357 comments Ivan was intellectual, given to philosophising about the existence of God, and therefore unlike his father, who did not concern himself about the nature of good or evil. Alyosha was good natured, understanding of the foibles of others and seeking to lead The Good Life, so again, quite unlike his father. Dmitri was passionate, hot tempered and thoughtless, so, in those ways very like his father. They were, of course, both in love with the same woman. But unlike his father, Dmitri was racked with guilt about his behaviour and was always trying to control his emotions.

John Seymour I agree with Pip - well put. I would add that Alyosha is quite pious, so again very unlike his father or his brothers in that respect.