Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > October 2016: Classics

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Oct 02, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Sorry for the slight delay in getting the monthly thread up, folks! As some of you may have noticed, Jackie stepped down as co-mod during September, and I'm taking over again starting this month. Kudos to her for all the work she's put into the group since she took over; I can't thank her enough!

But now, on to the main attraction: Our October poll closed today with Classics winning with ten out of a total nineteen votes.

For the purposes of the group, it's at everyone's individual discretion to decide for themselves what does and does not qualify as a "classic". If you can't think of anything--or you just want a pool of ideas to start with--you can check out Listopia's Must Read Classics list, as voted on by the Goodreads public.

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic here (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for November's theme here and December's theme here.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This is a challenging one. I am not the best at finishing classics but I will give it a good try.

message 3: by Sleepninja (new)

Sleepninja | 5 comments For once, I think I will actually remember to do the theme of the month. Now, what horror classic should I read? haha

message 4: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments I just read The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe with my niece for her Literature class. Yay! I'm actually on theme! :D

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I am starting Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner this evening.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 19, 2016 07:29AM) (new)

I finished The Fellowship of the Ring a few days ago.

My short review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments My niece wants to read Jane Eyre for her class project, she and her school are so ambitious. They are going through books like candy!

message 8: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Raevyn wrote: "I finished The Fellowship of the Ring a few days ago.

My short review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Totally agree with your verdict! I can't possibly praise Tolkien's world-building enough or even express how the way he pretty much single-handedly codified the modern fantasy genre as we know it... but holy hell was it hard to get through that first book, even when I was listening to an audiobook. (Though it didn't help that the narrator also had a horribly droning voice; I might pick up a different version some day and give it another go.) Couldn't even make it through the second book. :/

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments I'm reading Lark Rise to Candleford Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson by Flora Thompson.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.