Beyond Reality discussion

Nexus (Nexus, #1)
This topic is about Nexus
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Nexus: Finished Reading **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading Nexus by Ramez Naam.

Caution: Spoilers are likely in this thread!

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 501 comments Mod
I found this thought provoking. Is technology itself good or bad? Or is it just what people do with the technology? Once technology is developed, is it even possible to suppress it, or keep it for a few? There were strong parallels with atomic energy development here - it's hard to keep the genie in the bottle once everyone knows the genie exists.

On a much, much lighter note, I followed Nexus with Connie Willis' new book, Crosstalk. It's a romantic comedy dealing with the benefits and perils of telepathy.

message 3: by Bruce (new) - added it

Bruce (bruce1984) I liked how Ramez wove in Buddhist theology with the technology. That gave the plot a moral viability. On a broader scale, it highlighted how science and technology in general is changing views on religion and who we are as humanity.

Definitely not a boring book! The plot is complicated with twists and turns on every page, yet not predictable and not too difficult to follow. Everything had a very realistic feel to it. I felt like I could see the characters and feel the intensity of the suspense.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nexus (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ramez Naam (other topics)