Reading List Completists discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
Outlander - Oct-Dec 2016 > Outlander - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1676 comments Mod
This folder is for general discussion about Outlander - Oct-Dec 2016. Topics breaking the book down into sections will be added later.

Brittney (hissaluna) | 33 comments Have fun with Outlander everyone! I've read it multiple times (a couple before the start of the show and then once before the second season when I needed a refresher for starting the second book), and I think that says it all because who reads a book they don't like multiple times? I do still need to read the third book in the series before the third season comes, so maybe I'll read that alongside you guys after I finish The Stand (which I'm just now getting around to :/).

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I enjoyed, but it was quite a bit much at times!

Click here for my review

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Matt, I read your review. It made me laugh. We are about the same age. I read this book when I was 17. My mom kept telling her friends how wonderful this series was. So, I snagged it from her (without her knowing) and read it. I read the first 3 books since those where the only books written in the Outlander series at the time. I loved it. Just loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Before the TV series came out I thought I'd reread it since I only read the first 4 books of the series and wanted to read the remaining books in the series. What a rude awakening. I re-read it and didn't really like it much. Isn't it funny "growing up" can change your view on something you once loved? I'm actually surprised you read it. I wonder how many men actually read this book. LOL

My review

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel - thanks! Yeah, I have gone back and reread a few of my favorites from when I was younger only to find them only so-so. (Same thing happens with movies)

I know probably not too many men read it, but one of my wife's friends insisted it is awesome and not all romance. Also, I am dedicated to my goal of reading all the lists (and, as a group leader, I guess I better set good example :))

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments You read it and gave it 4 stars! That's better than my 2 stars. Perhaps you are more of a romantic than I am. Actually, I'm sure you are because I'm not a romantic. LOL

Yes, it happens with movies too. I couldn't imaging watching 'Rad' or 'Gleaming the Cube' as an adult. I just know it would be painful t re-watch those. I will just remember them with my very youthful me from the 80s. :)

message 7: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel - the 4 starts is mainly for the non romance parts. I did actually enjoy those.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Also - I have been trying to rack my brain to remember what movie I watched recently that I loved as a kid but was not great now, but I can't remember what it was . . . I will keep thinking . . .

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Gabaldon did a great job in the landscaping and feel of the period during the time. She did leave out a lot and romanticized it but then again, it's a historical romance. Of course she would have to do that, if she made it too real, it wouldn't be as "sexy".