Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > What shall we read for NOVEMBER?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Oct 01, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
As usual, we spend half this month nominating books for the November BOTM, then vote on them in a one or two stage process depending on how many nominations there are.

So here we go.

November is a funny month; spring in Australia, Bonfire Night in the UK, Thanksgiving in the US. I'm not that good at themes anyway - but how about a theme of 'conflict' which you can interpret as widely as you like. Of course, most books involve some sort of conflict - just make it interesting, and for MG (not YA dressed up).

- ONE book title
- in the theme CONFLICT,
- suitable for MG readers (i.e. listed as MG on Goodreads' readers shelves)
- easily accessible (i.e. in libraries or as low cost paperbacks)

If you can link your nomination to the Goodreads page using the 'add book/author' tool just above the comments writing box, so much the better. Then people can easily check the blurb etc for themselves.

Please try not to nominate anything we've read in the last two years. You can check our BOTM all-time list in this BOTM Discussion thread.

I'll set up the poll around 18th or 20th October, depending on how many nominations there are.

I suggest that if we have a tie at the end of the voting process, rather than pick two books, I give a casting vote. I reckon that it was okay for the books we were reading over two months, but in one month, having a choice seemed to squash participation. What do you think of that idea?

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 297 comments That's fine with me. You can even collate the ones that did not win your casting vote and we can use them in the summer reads. Usually I don't mind what the final outcome is; if it's not available in my library, I usually just borrow one of the nominees anyway.

message 3: by Jemima (new)

Justine wrote: "You can even collate the ones that did not win your casting vote and we can use them in the summer reads."

That's a great idea!

message 4: by James (new)

James (rigfield) OCDaniel by Wesley King

A story about boy in conflict with...himself.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 333 comments R My Name Is Rachel is not only about conflict, but the sibling rivalry between Rachel and Cassie is a main component of the plot.

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
I'm good with you making the deciding vote, Jemima!

I've been a bit behind on my BOTMs--I'm doing the August book right now!
EDIT: I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm reading one of the September books. I think I gave up on August.

message 7: by Jemima (last edited Oct 11, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Only two nominations so far... I'll open it up for more than one nomination if you like (and check our runners-up lists for appropriate ones).

And I'm going to nominate Tuesdays at the Castle. It looks like there's plenty of conflict in it, of one sort or another, and it's come close to being our BOTM before... and I want to read it!

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 333 comments I know I already posted one book that might work, but Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen is a great midlle grade read that features many possibilities of conflict.

message 9: by Justine (last edited Oct 12, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 297 comments The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon will fall into the conflict category of man vs man or man vs society.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) Most of the books I've been thinking about turn out to have limited availability in English, so there's no point in nominating them.

However, my 10yo daughter loves this series: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1) by Rachel Renée Russell ? Given the diary format there should be at least some conflict between the main character and her parents or school friends.

message 11: by Jemima (new)

Paula wrote: "Most of the books I've been thinking about turn out to have limited availability in English, so there's no point in nominating them.

However, my 10yo daughter loves this series: [bookcover:Tales ..."

Thanks, Paula. We'll have to have a think about findings ways to globalise this a little better.

message 12: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 39 comments The War of Jenkins' Ear by Michael Morpurgo - it's a bit old now but I remember reading it back when I was middle-grade aged and it's one of those books I've never forgotten
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 13: by Buffy (new)

Buffy Naillon (buffytuf) | 3 comments Jennifer wrote: "Once, by Morris Gleitzman is a heartbreaking read set in WWII. Beautifully written"

Oooooh! I just looked that book up. I studied German Literature in college and am fascinated by German history. I'd love to learn to teach a book like that. It gets my vote.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Georgie wrote: "The War of Jenkins' Ear by Michael Morpurgo - it's a bit old now but I remember reading it back when I was middle-grade aged and it's one of those books I've never forgotten
https://www.goodreads...."

This one I find in King County (WA--possibly the largest system in the country), but not in my county (San Mateo, CA). Kindle version is just over $6.

Jennifer wrote: "Once, by Morris Gleitzman is a heartbreaking read set in WWII. Beautifully written"

That looks great--and is definitely available!

message 15: by Jemima (new)

We have seven so far, which means we shouldn't need a run-off poll. But if someone added two more we would, and then we wouldn't have time! So I'm going to close the thread for nominations now and put up the poll.

I'll leave War of Jenkins' Ear in, Rebecca, see how the voting goes. Once is definitely available in UK libraries, and looks like it may be on reading lists, judging from the number of copies out on loan!

message 16: by Jemima (new)

You can now vote for your Book of November:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting closes on Oct 31st midnight (New York time I think, otherwise it's Pacific time, which gives you longer).

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Brittney wrote: "How about...

Brittney, just to let you know, authors are not allowed to nominate their own books. And we are looking for books that are readily available at little or no cost (i.e., in libraries). I have removed your post, but feel free to tell us about it in the Authors area.

message 18: by Jemima (last edited Nov 01, 2016 03:09AM) (new)

From discussion in the poll comments and other discussions we've had in nomination threads, I'm starting a new thread about suggestions for how to make this BOTM more international. Please go there and comment!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.