Play Book Tag discussion

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
This topic is about Throne of Jade
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Throne of Jade/Naomi Novik - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (last edited Oct 01, 2016 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Wow -- first book post (only because I'm behind in my reviews)

The Chinese want their dragon back and have separated Temeraire from his handler Laurence. In the series opener, Laurence took as spoils the dragon egg that the Chinese were gifting to Napoleon. With the French forces capturing most of Europe, Britain needs her air corps at full strength, but they also don't want an international incident. It is decided that the British ambassador to China will accompany Temeraire to China via ship. Accompanying them is the brother of the Chinese emperor and his retinue and at Temeraire insistence, Laurence.

The star of this series remains the relationship of Temeraire and Laurence. There is a mutual respect and unconditional love that is magical. As one can imagine, the journey from Britain to China was a bit long and sometimes a bit boring. However, the story picked up when they arrived in China to see how the Chinese have embraced dragons into their societal structure. This is in stark contrast to how they are treated basically as beast of burdens in Britain and I believe will guide much of the rest of the series. If you are fan of historical fiction, but don't really like fantasy, this series could appeal to you. While there are dragons, there is nothing magical about them except that they are intelligent, and able to talk and reason.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6012 comments Okay ... NOT reading your review, because I just started the audio of this one over the weekend. But I loved the first book in the series, and am engaged right away in this one.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments I like this series and have had the latest one for two years but still haven't read it. This one was interesting because Temeraire learned about his past. I really enjoyed the first, His Majesty's Dragon, and recommend it all the time.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah -- while the trip was a bit overlong. The descriptions of China were pretty cool.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6012 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I like this series and have had the latest one for two years but still haven't ......"

#9 in the series - League of Dragons - was just published this past June.

message 6: by Olivermagnus (last edited Oct 07, 2016 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments Book Concierge wrote:

#9 in the series - League of Dragons - was just published this past June.

Thanks for the info. I better get to #8 so I can finish the series with League of Dragons.