The Jane Austen Book Club discussion

Pride and Prejudice > Pride and Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sita (new)

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! I usually try reading all of Jane Austen's work every year (except for Mansfield Park which I haven't yet been able to power through.) I decided a group reading project would be great - I know a lot of Jane Austen nerds from over at The Toast and I hope they find their way to this group.

We'll start with Pride and Prejudice (as it's one of her most accessible and popular book), and hopefully Beginner Janeites will find this book a good starting point. Historical discussions, discussions on Jane's life and England during her times - they're all welcome.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Sita wrote: "Welcome to the group! I usually try reading all of Jane Austen's work every year (except for Mansfield Park which I haven't yet been able to power through.) I decided a group reading project would ..."

Thank you for the invite Sita. Unbelievably I have not read any of the Jane Austen novels even though I have a copy of each and maybe 2 of Pride and Prejudice.

Talking of Pride and Prejudice I have seen every film or tv series of the book my favourite version being the one with Colin Firth. I have a lovely book companion with the full story and lovely color photographs - unread - so great have the opportunity and the challenge to read all Jane Austen books before Christmas!

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandykaypax) | 1 comments thanks for the invite! I've read all of Austen's books, but it's been a while. It'll be fun to re-read.

Has anyone read any of the modernized versions that were published recently? I've read Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (a reworking of Pride and Prejudice) and Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope. Eligible was fantastic, Sense and Sensibility was decent.

Sandy K

message 4: by Sita (new)

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Sita wrote: "Welcome to the group! I usually try reading all of Jane Austen's work every year (except for Mansfield Park which I haven't yet been able to power through.) I decided a group reading p..."

Colin Firth coming out of that lake! I usually side-eye film/TV adaptations of Austen novels because they focus more on the romance than the social comedy but even I could not resist the BBC adaptation. My favourite is Sense & Sensibility. Emma Thompson is just a damn wonder. I wish I could read all her books for the first time - and I hope you come to enjoy them as much as I do. And of course, welcome to the group!

message 5: by Sita (new)

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "thanks for the invite! I've read all of Austen's books, but it's been a while. It'll be fun to re-read.

Has anyone read any of the modernized versions that were published recently? I've read Elig..."

I just bought Eligible today! Thank god it's good, because it sure was expensive.

message 6: by Sue (last edited Oct 01, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Sue Sandy wrote: "thanks for the invite! I've read all of Austen's books, but it's been a while. It'll be fun to re-read.

Has anyone read any of the modernized versions that were published recently? I've read Elig..."

I think I have the Joanne Trollope version somewhere and shall treat myself to Eligible - I had forgotten that some popular authors had reworked her novels!

Has anyone read the book or seen the film Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I enjoyed both they were both funny, mad and bad! My partner loved the Zombie adaptation.

message 7: by Sue (last edited Oct 01, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Sue I agree the Emma Thompson 'Sense and Sensibility' is really good. The TV adaptation of Emma with Kate Beckinsale (the actress from Underworld) is excellent. Also Kate Beckinsale features in the latest Austen adaptation she plays 'Lady Susan' in 'Love and Friendship'.

I have also enjoyed the TV adaptions of 'Persuasion' also 'Mansfield Park' and 'Northanger Abbey' I think the biggest problem for me with Jane Austen book is that because I have seen so many TV or film adaption it feels really hard to pick up and read the novels. I wish I could unsee seeing the adaptations and read the books first and see the adaptations after.

message 8: by Jonfaith (new)

Jonfaith | 1 comments Going into this relatively cold, having only read Persuasion. I will chafe and persevere and will try to avoid cursing. This is a fitting avocation for me presently, giving the penumbra of heavy lifting involved with both Arno Schmidt and Alan Moore; that isn't to suggest I regard this as light, simply very different from my normal trajectory. So it goes.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Thanks for the invite, Sita. I don't actually see myself reading any Austen during the next two months, but this is because of a Jane Austen university class that caused me to go through her entire bibliography so recently that I haven't yet recharged enough for individual rereads. I can, however, comment with what I remember from the class, which is copious and hopefully interesting enough to excuse me from actually reading along. This is especially the case in Mansfield Park, so I wish you better success with that one, Sita.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brookfield | 2 comments I'm afraid I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Jane Austen. The film adaptations can be excellent screen entertainment eg Emma Thompson's 'Persuasion', but they never do justice to the depths of subtle wisdom, irony and humour in the actual novels. As for the modern spin-off books, even if they are as well written as 'Eligible', which I made myself read, (I tried 'Longbourn' but gave up), deep down I feel a sort of outrage on Jane Austen's behalf that less original and imaginative minds keep trying to cash in on her genius.

message 11: by Sita (new)

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I'm afraid I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Jane Austen. The film adaptations can be excellent screen entertainment eg Emma Thompson's 'Persuasion', but they never do justice to the depths o..."

I gave up Longbourn halfway through as well! Neither did it have Austen's sharp satiric wit nor did it accomplish to treat the class divide with intelligence.

As for movie adaptations, I love Clueless and Sense & Sensibility - a large part of that lies in the directors exploring characters vs. exploring the love story. I'm hearing great things about Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship - people are calling it the funniest Austen adaptation to date, so I'm pretty excited for that.

message 12: by Sita (new)

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Aubrey wrote: "Thanks for the invite, Sita. I don't actually see myself reading any Austen during the next two months, but this is because of a Jane Austen university class that caused me to go through her entire..."

Your insights are (of course) most welcome. I wish I could take a Literature class, but unfortunately most of the readers I know, I know them online, and the literature classes here are too expensive. Reading with others is always such fun, and it keeps me from backing out because of my laziness. I love your reviews, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on these books as well.

message 13: by Purple (new)

Purple | 2 comments I'm excited about this. Such a coincidence but I just started reading P&P yesterday and I figured this is as good a time as any to get more active on goodreads. Thanks for the invite!

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue Sita wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "Thanks for the invite, Sita. I don't actually see myself reading any Austen during the next two months, but this is because of a Jane Austen university class that caused me to go thr..."

Oxford University do some good online courses including on Jane Austen's work. It is about a 10 week course, with online meetings, maybe a couple of assignments cost about £250. I did the Contemporary British Fiction course and really enjoyed it as well as earning some CATS points.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for adding me to this group, Sita. I love Jane Austen and what a great opportunity to read along with others :) Hannah

message 16: by Tony (new)

Tony Sullivan | 4 comments Hi Sita, thank you for the invitation and hi to everyone. I've never looked at novels via a book club, this will be a welcome change from solitary musings. Austen is a real humdinger... this should be good.

TheQuirkyManifesto | 1 comments Hi everyone, I am glad to be part of a group which appreciates Jane Austen's writings. I can't pick a favourite though. They are all heavily laced with sarcasm, particularly directed towards the hypocrisies of society, a writing trope I like. At the same time, I wonder whether Austen tends to justify the very societal dictates that she wishes to challenge. For instance, her insistence on the notion of honour and her consternation with women who elope, as seen in Pride & Prejudice and Mansfield Park. In this sense, it is interesting to examine how writers are shaped by the ideas of their time, despite their attempts at self-criticality.