2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > September 2016 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 14, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10531 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Tracey
Stephanie
Angela
Robin
Veronica
Mary Beth
Melissa
Jonetta
Laura
Lieke
Lauren

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Oct 01, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! Book 11 of the Myron Bolitar series.

No.

4 series:
1. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
2. Dalziel and Pascoe by Reginald Hill
3. In Death by J D Robb
4. Detective Jackson by L J Sellers

Loved both the Kate Daniels books Magic Bleeds and Magic Dreams. As the series progresses it just gets better. Also liked the side story of Jim and Dali in Magic Dreams.

Also loved reading Best Loved Winnie The Pooh Stories (8 stories) to my girls. They just made me smile.

Also loved Dying for Justice from the Detective Jackson series. A real page turner.

I'm really pleased with this month. 11 books read (the most for a few months), some really good reads and back into enjoying audio format.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes! Book 11 of the Myron Bolitar series. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
No. 3. D..."

What a great month, Tracey! Your enthusiasm is just oozing out of that message:)

I'm jealous about a few of your reads...Myron, Detective Jackson, Kate...I just haven't had the space to fit these in. *sigh*

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta wrote: "Tracey wrote: "What a great month, Tracey! Your enthusiasm is just oozing out of that message:)

I'm jealous about a few of your reads...Myron, Detective Jackson, Kate...I just haven't had the space to fit these in. *sigh*."

Thanks Jonetta!

Oh but there are so many series that you are reading that I would love to be! So many books, so little time....

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Stephanie wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No, I didn't complete or get up to date. Hoping to do so with a couple next month 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what ..."

Very happy to see you had a good month, Stephanie! I'm enjoying your reviews. When I saw you starting Red Rising, I knew you'd love it:) Kudos!

message 6: by Angela (last edited Oct 02, 2016 05:08PM) (new)

Angela | 749 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes I completed The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3) by Brian Staveley
Yes The Dragon's Path which I plan to continue. The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1) by Daniel Abraham
Yes The Dresden Files. Read book 3 and 4. Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher
Yes I did. I love that I can answer all yeses this month. The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie . As I start a Hercule Poirot read with my son. I loved the mystery and how it keeps me on my toes trying to guess the outcome.

Pretty great month really. 5 books read and none of them were less than 4 stars for me.

message 7: by Robin (last edited Oct 03, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2190 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished the Avalon Investigations series by Michele Albert.

None

I read eight books in September and moved forward in eight series.
Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo
Innocent Prisoners Project by Marti Green
Troubleshooters by Suzanne Brockmann
Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava
School for Heiresses by Sabrina Jeffries
Avalon Investigations by Michele Albert
Will Trent by Karin Slaughter
Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly

My only 5-Star book was Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9) by Suzanne Brockmann . I loved both romances in this book.

I've been working hard to get some of my (many) series completed or up to date. I liked everything I read this month. I gave most of them 4-Stars.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

No. Too busy starting a bunch of new series, lol.

I found several new series that I'm looking forward to continuing.
Collecting the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #1) by Spencer Kope , The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1) by Cheryl Honigford , Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart , Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1) by Jeremy Robinson , The Missing (Darby McCormick #1) by Chris Mooney , The Ides of April (Flavia Albia Mystery, #1) by Lindsey Davis

I moved forward in one series, The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson .

No five star books but several 4-4.5 stars this month.

Collecting the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #1) by Spencer Kope - loved the main character and his special ability provides an interesting premise. 4.5 stars

Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix - YA without the angsty, emo teens; it's a miracle!!

Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart - the Kopp sisters wouldn't accept anything less than 4.5 stars

Mistborn (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson - excellent world building and endearing characters

Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1) by Jeremy Robinson - pure adrenaline fun with a special forces Delta team

The Missing (Darby McCormick #1) by Chris Mooney - suspenseful and with a likable female CSI as the MC

I had a good month that included a lot of books I really enjoyed.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Angela wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes I completed The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3) by Brian Staveley
2. Did you start any new series? I..."

Wonderful, Angela! Moving forward in Dresden by two books in the same month is a big deal. Those stories are emotionally draining!

I'm still loving that you and our son are reading Christie together. He's going to have this memory forever.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished the Avalon Investigations series by Michele Albert.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you ..."

Another great month, Robin! Lots of discipline to not start anything new, too. Eight series is just wonderful. Kudos to you but even better is your liking all of the stories.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No. Too busy starting a bunch of new series, lol. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?

I..."

Lol! I'd like to think you're still building your series list, Veronica. Seriously, though, your commentary about what you read says everything...you enjoyed your reading experience this month.

message 12: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No
Yes Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1) by Brian Freeman Jonathan Stride Series and Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) by J.A. Konrath Jack Daniels series, Yes loved these and will continue.
Yes, I moved forward in Nine series!
Inspector Gamache- The Brutal Telling, Immortal in Death-In Death Series, Faithless-Grant County, Cold Pursuit- Cold Justice, Where Shadows Dance- Sebatian St. Cyr, Mortal Arts- Lady Darby
Broken Angels- Katie Malone series, Magic Bleeds, The Janus Stone- Ruth Galloway,
Yes two 5 stars- Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1) by Brian Freeman and Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews all the rest were excellent also. They were all 4 star or 4.5 star reads.
All of the books that I finished were excellent books. I had a reading slump though with three books that I DNF, and it happened right after another which was very aggravating but loved the comments to put me through that difficult slump because it worked.
After the slump I read Faithless, Broken Angels by Graham Masterton and Cold Pursuit by Toni Anderson which ended the month to be excellent. I want to thank everyone for their comments to get me out of this slump.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Mary wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Yes Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1) by Brian FreemanJonathan Stride Se..."

Your reading slump recovery is extraordinary! I can attest to how wonderful people here are in helping each other out of these ditches. I'm really happy for you and making a dent in nine series is a big deal when you're not having a slump.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

By the way, glad to see you loved Immoral as I put it on my shelf a couple of years ago and don't know why. I even have the audiobook!

message 15: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Jonetta! Immoral is excellent. I read the ebook but I bet the audiobook is excellent.

message 16: by Melissa (last edited Oct 04, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1291 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, so I'm caught up in the Harry Potter series.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling

No new series this month.

I moved forward in the Harry Dresden Series - Changes, #12, by Jim Butcher.
Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher

No 5 ★ this time.

Bad...it has been a rough month for my family due to family issues and now my husband and I are divorcing. Reading has not been easy to do. Hopefully things get easier in October.

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, so I'm caught up i..."

So sorry to hear about your family issues and your husband and you divorcing. I hope things improve for you soon!

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, so I'm caught up i..."

Oh, Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear this. Thinking about you.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1291 comments Tracey wrote: "Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, so..."

Thanks Tracey and Jonetta. I was blindsided by it. The good thing about it is that I will be able to move my girls home to New Hampshire. That's where all my family is.

message 20: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 08, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Yes, I completed or got up to date in four series: In Death by J. D. Robb (up to date); Barefoot Bay Timeless by Roxanne St. Claire (up to date); Return to Briarwood by Elisabeth Barrett (complete); and Evelyn Talbot Chronicles by Brenda Novak (up to date).

I started one new series, Cainsville by Kelley Armstrong. I probably will not continue the series as I wasn't crazy about the story and I can see a love triangle in the future (ugh).

I moved forward in five series: Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris; Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly; Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava; I-Team by Pamela Clare; and Southern Comfort by Lisa Clark O'Neill.

I LOVED Seduction Game, a book I wasn't even looking forward to reading because of the heroine. Clare really surprised me. After over 50 books in the In Death series, Robb surprised me with the outstanding Apprentice in Death. It reflected a refreshing level of character growth and the case was compelling.

Honestly, before I prepared this roundup, I felt pretty down about the month because real life flared up in a big way. My total books read for the month (11) is the fewest in many months and I read several books that were just DULL. But, now that I see what I accomplished with this challenge, I'm feeling great!
Seduction Game (I-Team, #7) by Pamela Clare Apprentice in Death (In Death, #43) by J.D. Robb

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2179 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I completed or got up to date in four series: In Death by J. D. Robb (up to date); Barefoot Bay Timeless by Roxanne St. Clai..."

I hate when real life interferes with our reading time. You really made your 11 books count. Great job!

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Laura!

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2179 comments 1. Did you complete or get up to date on any series?
I finished Wicked Sexy Liar which completed that series. I caught up in the Beautiful Bastard series with Beautiful Boss.
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? It seems like starting new series was my thing in Sept. Barefoot Bay, The Wedding Belles, and Manwhore. Will continue all.
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many? 3 Karen Rose Scream for MeToni Anderson Cold Pursuit Sarah Castille Sinner's Steel
Wicked Sexy Liar was a great finish to a great series. I got hooked on the Manwhore series also reading 3 in a row into Oct.
5. Summary of month.
I liked the books I read but overall I didn't accomplish much. Sort of blah.

message 24: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1046 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?\
I completed a series: Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb

No (not counting listening to Charlie and the Chocolate factory, since I already read the book)

No

No 5 stars, but three 4 star books :)

I only read/listened to 5 books, the lowest for this year if I look at the page count. I'm rethinking the books I had planned to read for the remainder of the year, so I hope this month will be better.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete or get up to date on any series?
I finished Wicked Sexy Liar which completed that series. I caught up in the Beautiful Bastard series with [book:Beautiful Boss|2..."

I know you don't think you accomplished very much but your roundup says otherwise:) You finished two series and moved forward in three more! Good job.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?\ I completed a series: Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue..."

I completely understand how you're feeling as this wasn't a great month for me either. Did you enjoy the five you read?

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2179 comments Thanks Jonetta!

message 28: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1046 comments Jonetta wrote: "Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?\ I completed a series: Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will ..."
Three of them where great (4 stars), one was ok and one of them I didn't like.
So more good reads than bad reads :)

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Well, Lieke, here's to a much better month in October. At least you got three good books out of it.

Hang in there!

message 30: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1046 comments Thanks :)

Hopefully your month will be better too!

message 31: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I completed or got up to date in four series: In Death by J. D. Robb (up to date); Barefoot Bay Timeless by Roxanne St. Clai..."

Jonetta I think all of us that love reading do not like it when real life happens to us but I got to say you did it in a healthy way. You faced it instead of escaping. Sometimes when real life slaps me in the face I tend to escape and read more which isnt so healthy, plus you read 11 books, so overall I have to say that you had a good month. Kudos to you!!

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Mary Beth.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4083 comments Mod
Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! Book 11 of the Myron Bolitar series. 3. D..."

Love the tv show of Dalziel and Pascoe. I haven't tried the books though. Are they good, Tracey?

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Stephanie wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month? Was a great month! Had less time to read due to work (ugh), but read a few short stories -- loved them! Also, "discovered" Audible channels which was a lot of fun too!! "

Great month, Stephanie. I haven't tried any of the Audible channels yet. Which ones have you listened to?

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Angela wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Pretty great month really. 5 books read and none of them were less than 4 stars for me.."

So glad you had a good month, Angela. You can't go wrong with Harry :0)

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Robin wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
I've been working hard to get some of my (many) series completed or up to date. I liked everything I read this month. I gave most of them 4-Stars."

Fantastic progress on your series, Robin. Well done!

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No. Too busy starting a bunch of new series, lol.."

Been there, done that! Lol!

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Mary wrote: "After the slump I read Faithless, Broken Angels by Graham Masterton and Cold Pursuit by Toni Anderson which ended the month to be excellent. I want to thank everyone for their comments to get me out of this slump. "

Glad you are back on track after the slump, Mary Beth. I've got Broken Angels on my TBR. I really enjoyed the first book but its been ages since I read it.

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Melissa wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
Bad...it has been a rough month for my family due to family issues and now my husband and I are divorcing. Reading has not been easy to do. Hopefully things get easier in October. ."

So sorry to hear about that, Melissa. I hope that you are keeping your chin up. Take care.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
Honestly, before I prepared this roundup, I felt pretty down about the month because real life flared up in a big way. My total books read for the month (11) is the fewest in many months and I read several books that were just DULL. But, now that I see what I accomplished with this challenge, I'm feeling great!.."

The round up really puts a new spin on things when you write it all down. Glad you ended the month on a high!

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Laura wrote: "5. Summary of month.
I liked the books I read but overall I didn't accomplish much. Sort of blah.."

Oy! Sorry it left you feeling blah. Hopefully October will be better :0)

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lieke wrote: " only read/listened to 5 books, the lowest for this year if I look at the page count. I'm rethinking the books I had planned to read for the remainder of the year, so I hope this month will be better.."

Sometimes the end of the year can feel like a slog. Crossing fingers for a good October :0)

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Not this month. Maybe next.

No, so it balances out not finishing any either :0)

Yes, 9
Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #8) by Michael Connelly What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8) by C.S. Harris The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2) by Cindy Gerard Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9) by Elizabeth Hoyt City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #9) by Michael Connelly Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2) by Loretta Chase For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison

No 5 star again this month, but a few solid 4s and I really enjoyed the Harry Bosch book

Much better reading month than August. My brother and sister-in-law came for 10 days so I didn't read as much while they were here. October is the last month of holiday before the semester begins so I'm hoping to make the most of it.

message 44: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
Yes, 9..."

It's almost impossible to get much reading in when you have family visiting for an extended period and want to be a good host. With that said, 9 series?!! That's outstanding.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Thanks Jonetta. The audiobooks came in handy during the trip to and from the airport :0)

message 46: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Lauren wrote: "Mary wrote: "After the slump I read Faithless, Broken Angels by Graham Masterton and Cold Pursuit by Toni Anderson which ended the month to be excellent. I want to thank everyone for their comments..."

Thanks Lauren! Broken Angels is really good. I still have images and visions from that book. It is so creepy.

message 47: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1046 comments Lauren wrote: "Lieke wrote: " only read/listened to 5 books, the lowest for this year if I look at the page count. I'm rethinking the books I had planned to read for the remainder of the year, so I hope this mont..."

Thanks Lauren, it already feels a lot better :)

Congrats in moving forward in 9 series!

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Mary wrote: "Thanks Lauren! Broken Angels is really good. I still have images and visions from that book. It is so creepy."

I know. The first book gave me nightmares, lol!

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Lauren wrote: "Angela wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Pretty great month really. 5 books read and none of them were less than 4 stars for me.."

So glad you had a good month, Angela. You can't ..."

I'm leaning towards agreeing with you Lauren. I'm waiting on the next book from the library.