2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > Favourite Book Series

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiexox123) | 8 comments Let's talk about our favourite book series and maybe we can get some suggestions for our challenges! My personal favorite is the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz :)

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments Some of my favourites over the years:

- Harry Potter
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Pendragon (the first book is The Merchant of Death)
- Chronicles of Narnia

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiexox123) | 8 comments @Rachel I read A Series of Unfortunate Events a while ago but I never finished. *adds to list*

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments I loved (still love) Harry Potter as a kid. I think I'll be adding A Series of Unfortunate Events as well - I remember reading the first book and always meant to continue the series. I wonder if they would count as middle grade fiction, I need to read a middle grade book for my remaining Read Harder challenges and I'd love to fit at least one of the books in if it would work for that.

I've been addicted to J.D. Robb's In Death series for several years and it's still going strong. Recently got into Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle series and ended up bingeing on it. Technically it's a trilogy but there are two novellas and a short story as well. I also really loved Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Novels. I've recently started on Robert Dugoni's Tracy Crosswhite series and it's good so far. I started with his two prequels and they were very strong; reading book #1 right now and it's very interesting.

I'm looking forward to checking out N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth series soon. I haven't read anything by her before but I've heard really good things and I'm excited.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiexox123) | 8 comments @ariel Wow you must be dedicated to have read the In Death series, I think there's over 50! They have been on my list for some time now and hopefully one day I'll actually pick one off the shelf :)

message 6: by Ariel (new)

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments Oh yeah, I came across the first book in the series by chance in a hospital gift shop back in high school and I've been gobbling them up ever since haha. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read one! There's 43 books & short stories in the series so far, #44 comes out early 2017 and some are better than others but I'm always impressed that Robb/Roberts has been able to keep it going so long.

message 7: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
- Marita Conlon-McKenna's Famine Trilogy
- Kevin Crossley-Holland's The Seeing-Stone Trilogy (never got to finish it though :/)
- Sherlock Holmes
- Diane Duane's Young Wizards series
- Neil Gaiman's The Sandman
- Locke and Key
- Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy
- The Power of Five (I liked Alex Rider too Debbie! But for some reason it just feels more in the past now than Five does, if that makes sense. Not that I hate it now or anything :))
- N.K. Jemisin's The Inheritance Trilogy
- Gentlemen Bastards
- Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- The Lunar Chronicles
- Watchmen (if it counts)
- Chaos Walking
- Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series
- Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series
- Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small
- Discworld
- Percy Jackson
- Harry Potter
- The Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud

message 8: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Ariel, A Series of Unfortunate Events is definitely middle grade! At least that's what I remember it being anyways. :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiexox123) | 8 comments Paul wrote: "Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Marita..."

Noughts and Crosses! Oh how could I forget that dark but oh so sweet book. I'm still yet to get my hands on the last one *adds to want to read*

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I forgot to mention The Hunger Games!

Also, there is an amazing manga series called With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, which is about a family who has a son diagnosed with autism. I didn't finish it yet because my library did not have all of the volumes, but it is a great series!

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiexox123) | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "I forgot to mention The Hunger Games!

Also, there is an amazing manga series called With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, which is about a family who has a son diagnosed with a..."

My number 2 is Divergent series and Number 3 the Hunger Games

message 12: by Ariel (new)

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments Paul wrote: "Ariel, A Series of Unfortunate Events is definitely middle grade! At least that's what I remember it being anyways. :)"

Thanks, Paul!

message 13: by Karoline (new)

Karoline Lien (karolinelien) | 47 comments Paul wrote: "Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Marita..."

Wow! Animorphs! That's a blast from the past. I was absolutely hooked on them!

message 14: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Debbie wrote: "Paul wrote: "Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blac..."

I remember the last one not being *quite* as good as the others, but I still liked it. *Very* different in focus from the first three though, so that may be something to bear in mind. Hope you enjoy it though! :)

message 15: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Karoline Tufte wrote: "Paul wrote: "Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist

I know! I actually only read them in the last year or two though, it was part of a thing some people were doing in another group. They still hold up tbh, even despite (or maybe because of) the sheer 90sness. Wish I could say the same about Everworld and Remnants though...

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1515 comments What a coincidence that Paul mentioned the Sherlock Holmes series as I just read A Study in Scarlet last month.

My all time favorites are Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (I have read these four books at least a half a dozen times). The Lord of the Rings, including The Hobbit and theSilmarilion (I first read this series when I was 8 and have no idea how many times I have reread them). The Dragon Riders of Pern but only those by Anne McCaffrey herself. I have only read one by her son so far (another series I have read more than once)

Now, the series that I am enjoying as I read them are probably to numerous to list here. But here are some:

Harry Bosch
The Cat Who . . .
Wheel of Time
Safehold
The League
Night Soldiers
87th Precinct
Redwall
Spenser
Jesse Stone
A Song of Ice and Fire
Discworld

And the list goes on and on.

message 17: by Robyn (last edited Dec 29, 2016 05:48AM) (new)

Robyn | -15 comments Karoline wrote: "Paul wrote: "Let's see now (bearing in mind I haven't read all of these competely yet...):

- Animorphs
- Fullmetal Alchemist

Karoline I was going to say the same thing! Loved me some Animophs back in the day. My daughter is 8 and loves to read, I think I need to pick up one or two of these to get her on the Animorph journey!