Romance Writers & Readers discussion

Writing Romance > Romance writing article

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments Not sure if anyone has seen this article yet, but it was SUCH good read from a fellow romance author.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/18688...

The idea in this post is that as romance authors, we all get the kind of "When are you going to start writing real books" response when we tell people we read or write romance novels. I personally have heard that from people, or of course the common little quip of "wow you must really like sex if you write it so much". Without even reading the books I write of course!

I adored this article and thought I'd share it with all of ya'll!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "Not sure if anyone has seen this article yet, but it was SUCH good read from a fellow romance author.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/18688......"

I liked the article and I tried to share it on Facebook. It was blocked because of the content!!!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments WOW really? That's ridiculous. There's nothing in that which would cause it to be blocked.

Gotta love that Facebook.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I was shocked. I tried to share my new launched book and they blocked that too. However, I could share the cover from my own Facebook page. I don't get them

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope, tried to copy the link on my page and they don't let me

message 6: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Oh, man! Awesome article, Miss Emma!!

Last week, I went to renew my registration and had to call my insurance company cuz I didn't have it on me. Oops. The lady was confirming my occupation so I told her I'm also an author now *smirks* and when she asked what I wrote, I told her romance and smut *smirks some more* Anyhoo, we talked for like 10 mins on the phone and then when I hung up...

The rep at the DMV was like, "OMG! That's so cool that you write! I write too!!"

Turns out she's an author of SciFi. Yeah, I was there for nearly an hour. Tee hee.

Again. LOVE that article! Thank you so much for sharing!!

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments That's such an awesome experience!! I love it when other authors are found in the strangest of places.

The ladies at my work have been SUPER supportive in writing romance novels, and we've all opened up more about liking romance novels that contain "smut". It was hilarious when we all started telling stories about how we used to sneak our mother's romance novels to read so no one would know we were reading them! Lotta Nora Roberts starters. :P

message 8: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Aiya, Miss Emma! I'm gonna need a like button for your comments hahaha!!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Great article, Emma! Thanks for sharing!

Personally I have never had any kind of response like that to my writing I think because the suspense totally outweighs the romance in my romantic suspense, but I do get the funny looks about writing such dark stuff full of murder and serial killers, I think there are people who will criticise every kind of writing or books, but in the end you just gotta write and read whatever you love and ignore those who try to put it down!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Oh, man! Awesome article, Miss Emma!!

Last week, I went to renew my registration and had to call my insurance company cuz I didn't have it on me. Oops. The lady was confirming my occupation so I t..."

It's so much fun meeting other writers, there was a guy who I used to do Taekwondo with and he was just starting out writing science fiction, we used to often talk writing before class!

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Emma wrote: "That's such an awesome experience!! I love it when other authors are found in the strangest of places.

The ladies at my work have been SUPER supportive in writing romance novels, and we've all op..."

Awesomeness!! Its so great to have a fabulous group of writers and readers to chat with!!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Great article:) So sorry it took me so long to read it. I have never had anyone say anything bad or put me down for writing romance, and I hope I never hear it. I'm proud of what I do (what you all do) and I know I would let that person know in a kind way. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Romance is beautiful. Love is beautiful. And while sex can be part of the story, that isn't always what romance is about (to me anyway).

I agree with Princess Jane, this is a fabulous group of writers and readers to chat with. *smiles*

I've yet to meet another writer randomly out and about like Mistress Ann and Princess Jane. That would so much fun!

message 13: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Girl power!! :)

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

I read Evelina this year; one of the very first romance novels. It is truly awesome. Clearly she faces struggles of unwanted male attention as she's introduced to the world of balls (dances; get your mind out the gutter!) ;)

Jane Eyre certainly knew her own mind.

Our foremothers have really paved the way.
And sadly, attitudes haven't changed as much as we'd like to pretend they have.

I too was initially phased by the comments, but now I just say, "yeah, they're totally full of smut," which actually is well accepted on the whole. Most people start asking me honest, reasonable questions from there. It's like I've said, "Yes, there's lots of sex. And sex is good. You can talk about sex without spontaneously combusting."

This article put me in mind of one of my first blog posts.
I'd come across many authors who had been hurt by the question, "But writing isn't a real job, is it?".

Link (if it's OK to link): http://tlclarkauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2...

And I still take comfort in the 'advice to new authors' post; that all the greats have had awful things said to them. e.g. Louisa May Alcott was told to stick to teaching. Haha!!

Hold your heads up high romance writers (and readers).
The act of love is a pure expression, and there is no harm sharing it in books. <3

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Danielle wrote: "This reminded me of this: http://www.lovebetweenthecovers.com/

Has anybody seen this yet? It's a documentary about the unique way the romance genre is chugging along like a steam train in comparis..."

I have heard about it but haven't watched it, I remember seeing people discuss it in one of the Facebook groups I'm a member of and it sounded very interesting! Might have to try and find some time to have a watch!

message 15: by Marina (new)

Marina Lovechild | 124 comments Danielle wrote: "This reminded me of this: http://www.lovebetweenthecovers.com/

Has anybody seen this yet? It's a documentary about the unique way the romance genre is chugging along like a steam train in comparis..."

Love that article, and this documentary is truly going on my to-watch-list! Thanks Danielle!

message 16: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 118 comments I think Love Between the Covers is now available to rent on Amazon. I saw it in Orlando, FL and it was great.

message 17: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Miranda (cjmiranda) | 2 comments Definitely not meaning any shameless self promotion here (ok, maybe just a little bit) but I actually just wrote a blog post all about this kind of thing. You know, if anyone wants to read :)

http://www.authorcjmiranda.com/blog/w...

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric Plume (ericplume) | 66 comments CJ wrote: "Definitely not meaning any shameless self promotion here (ok, maybe just a little bit) but I actually just wrote a blog post all about this kind of thing. You know, if anyone wants to read :)

http..."

You just nailed why I like writing romance. Thanks for posting. :D