Star Trek Book Club discussion

October Book/s > Before reading...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Snonono (new)

Snonono | 2 comments LET'S SEE

- I know nothing about this book, but Garak is in it. That's all I need to know for now.

- Garak is the greatest space lizard to ever live, breathe and murder.

- I don't know if it will change my ideas about Garak. He's a complex character and I'd like to know more about him, but I get the feeling I will only end up getting more complexity added.

- If this isn't better than the academy books I will legitimately cry. But it's Garak. It will be.

message 2: by Lilian (last edited Oct 02, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Lilian Angel (lilianangel) | 1 comments - I am Jon Snow.

- GARAK!!!

- I hope the book is a little bit more complex than the academy books. I'm really looking forward to reading more about Garak because he's one of my favorite DS9 characters but if he starts to chicken Bashir or something like that I'm out. XD

message 3: by Snonono (new)

Snonono | 2 comments Lilian wrote: "- I am Jon Snow.

- GARAK!!!

- I hope the book is a little bit more complex than the academy books. I'm really looking forward to reading more about Garak because he's one of my favorite DS9 chara..."

Unlike you, I will not become truly immersed until a chicken is mentioned.

message 4: by Miri (new)

Miri | 2 comments People have said this book is really rich with character and details, and I'm going to assume it will be more complex if only because the actor got REALLY into his role u know? Like I have a feeling this book will be super personal which is going to give it an interesting vibe

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aurumcalendula) | 5 comments Miri wrote: "People have said this book is really rich with character and details, and I'm going to assume it will be more complex if only because the actor got REALLY into his role u know? Like I have a feelin..."

Judging by this interview it sounds like he did - apparently this started as a diary he was writing to get a sense of the character

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aurumcalendula) | 5 comments Hi!
I read this a number of years ago and really enjoyed it (although I feel like I’ve forgotten a significant amount of it now). I find Garak a really interesting character

...I haven’t read any of the YA Academy novels, so I’m not sure how they compare

message 7: by Miri (new)

Miri | 2 comments Hello Andrea!
Sorry for the late reply I had thought I'd responded to this.

Cool interview link, ill need to check that out. And yeah Garak seems to be known as like.. the most interesting character in DS9 or even Star Trek as a whole. It's going to be interesting getting that in depth view. I'm assuming the book is in first person so im looking forward to those nitty gritty insights

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aurumcalendula) | 5 comments Hi Marie!
I've read some other Star Trek books- mostly DS9 related ones (The Hollow Men, The Missing, The Never-ending Sacrifice) and some older ones (Dreadnaught, Killing Time, Uhura's Song) I've run across at by local library or elsewhere.

I think A Stitch in Time may be somewhat similar to Una McCormack' The Never-ending Sacrifice (although considering when they were published it might be more accurate to say The Never-ending Sacrifice is sometimes similar to a Stitch in Time).
I am curious how A Stitch in Time would compare to The 34th Rule, which I haven't read yet (since it was also written by the actor who played the character it centers on).

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aurumcalendula) | 5 comments Good point re: Shimerman's cowriter - I'd forgotten about that.

The Never-ending Sacrifice is not the repetitive epic that gets mentioned by Garak in the show as such (although that does make appearances in it) - it follows what happens to Rugal after the events of episode 2x05 of DS9. (I'm curious if the two books have as many similarities as I remember)