Play Book Tag discussion

September 2016: 2013 > And the Mountains Echoed - Hosseini - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Oct 01, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
And the Mountains Echoed -Hosseini
5 stars

Confession; I haven’t read The Kite Runner. I did read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was wonderful and devastating. Hosseini’s depiction of the Taliban’s brutality gave me serious nightmares. It took me a while to be brave enough to read this one.

This book was also wonderful and heartrending, but fortunately without the stories of such vicious brutality. This book gave me a lot to think about, but it won’t give me nightmares. It is a series of interconnected short stories that radiate out from an initial act of desperation; A desperately poor family ‘sacrifices a finger to save the hand’. One child is given up for adoption to allow the remaining children to survive. There are consequences that have a ripple effect across decades, countries, and cultures. As Hosseini tracks the various trails leading out from the original story, there are similar themes running through the lives of his characters; parent/child relationships, survivor guilt, cultural displacement, jealousy, fear, and love.

I’m finding that I like reading novels that are structured as linked short stories. It doesn’t always work, but when it does, I enjoy looking for the connections. I think it works very well in this book. Each of the stories stands well enough on its own, but the connections and the comparisons make it more interesting.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm looking forward to reading this. I have read The Kite Runner, and I have A Thousand Splendid Suns on my shelf but haven't made it to it yet (it has been there for years and years!). Thanks for your review. I too have recently appreciated linked short stories, such as Olive Kitterage.

message 3: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book and was so lucky to see Hosseini speak about this book a few years ago with Anita and Regina. Great speaker (also very good looking)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments You guys get together in real life to see speakers? Like a coffee club? Gosh, that sounds like fun! I live closest to the two Jen P's and Nicole, but there has not yet been a compelling event that would take my goodreads addiction to the next level - lol. Interesting thought, though.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'd love to join in but it's a bit far! ;-)

message 6: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments The Kite Runner is my favorite by Hosseini. He's right up there with Mary Doria Russell in my opinion.

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments Denizen wrote: "The Kite Runner is my favorite by Hosseini. He's right up there with Mary Doria Russell in my opinion."

That's a great recommendation. I will have to get to The Kite Runner someday.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments I have read all three of Hosseini's books including this one. I think he's a great writer. But I too have been troubled T the depictions of violence. Its a sad truth world truth, but still hard to beat. But in each of the three books, worth it for both the stellar writing and the stories that need to be told.

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments Denizen wrote: "The Kite Runner is my favorite by Hosseini. He's right up there with Mary Doria Russell in my opinion."

Hosseini is definitely a must read author for me.

message 10: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "You guys get together in real life to see speakers? Like a coffee club? Gosh, that sounds like fun! I live closest to the two Jen P's and Nicole, but there has not yet been a compelling event that ..."

I met with Regina and Anita a few years ago at the National Book Festival in DC. I also met with Regina and her good friend Pam a few years ago, when she came to NYC for a trip. Also met Nicole D in Florida one year. Still have to meet Nicole R, she's not too far and it will happen eventually.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments I listened to the audio of this one, and Hosseini is one of the three narrators.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments LadyS, you live in New York City? See a lot of theater, I hope! We go there a few times a year, and always for Thanksgiving Weekend.

message 13: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 03, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "LadyS, you live in New York City? See a lot of theater, I hope! We go there a few times a year, and always for Thanksgiving Weekend."

I live outside of the city, 25 minute LIRR ride.

I go to the theater frequently, in fact I'm seeing The Book of Mormon next week.

Thanksgiving weekend - The one time you won't see me in NYC.

message 14: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments My favorite, favorite author!!!!

Yes, he was amazing at the book fair! So humble!

message 15: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Amy wrote: "LadyS, you live in New York City? See a lot of theater, I hope! We go there a few times a year, and always for Thanksgiving Weekend."

I live outside of the city, 25 minute LIRR ride.

..."

LOVE Book of Mormon!!!!