Classics Without All the Class discussion

October 2016 - Carmilla > Carmilla vs. Other Vampire Stories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) Dracula is the first vampire most people think of and has certainly influenced other books, films and TV shows. How about Carmilla? Is there something unique about the story that you see in more modern vampire tales?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments There are a lot of differences between Carmilla and the modern horror version. Even major differences between her and Bram Stoker's. I think the only movie I have ever seen that comes close to the Carmilla version is Let the Right One In.

Carmilla fed on her Souls via the human response to obsession. There was never a focus on seduction or sex. It was about her victim being imprisoned by their obsession with her. They wanted to do everything with her and for her. Does that make sense?

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) Yes, that makes sense. Some of the book descriptions on line make Carmilla seem racy or erotic. I did not find this to be the case. As you explained, it was more of an obsession.

I have not seen any of the popular movies/shows like True Blood, Twilight, etc. How about the series, Carmilla? Has anyone seen it? Is it mostly just the name that connects it to the book?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments I didn't know there was a series out! I'm excited to hear this though. What network is showing it?

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) It is a Canadian web series. I don't know anything about it but here is the link. www.carmillatheseries.com

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments Thanks! I will check it out for sure! Have you read any of the other writings by this author? I always wanted to read uncle Silas but haven't gotten to it yet.

message 7: by George P. (last edited Oct 03, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

George P. I know Le Fanu wrote 2 books that are included in Boxalls "1001 Books You Must Read...", Uncle Silas and In a Glass Darkly. Uncle Silas is quite long and has the lower avg rating of the two in Goodreads. "In a Glass..." is a collection of short stories; I may read it some day.

message 8: by George P. (new)

George P. The only other vampire book I think I've read is Dracula. I see a great deal of similarity. In Dracula, however, the vampire doesn't try to develop a close relationship with his victim(s) as in Carmilla. I think that in Dracula the prescribed method of killing the vampire was a stake through his heart while he slept, while in Carmilla it was decapitation which could be performed while the vampire was awake if you were tricky or agile enough.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I liked Dracula's format, story told as letters and excerpts from diaries. There were a couple of very scary scenes in the book, not effectively captured in any of the film versions. In Carmilla, I liked the simple but rich story line and characters.

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown i just finished Carmilla. The only other vampire stories I've read have been Ann Rice novels (oh,and D. Harkness). It seems to me that Rice must have been influenced by Le Fanu, since her vampires either are obsessive or inspire that feeling in others.

message 11: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) Valerie wrote: "i just finished Carmilla. The only other vampire stories I've read have been Ann Rice novels (oh,and D. Harkness). It seems to me that Rice must have been influenced by Le Fanu, since her vampires ..."

I agree. I haven't read many of Rice's Vampire Chronicles books so far, but I remember thinking about them while I was reading Carmilla.

I wish I'd read Carmilla years ago because I've read quite a few vampire stories over the years and I don't remember most of them clearly enough to remember if there were any things in them I could identify as being inspired by Carmilla.

message 12: by Lohengrin (new)

Lohengrin | 23 comments I don't think Carmilla massively influenced later vampire stories - Let The Right One In pays hommage to it, but I don't think it's been such a massive influence. However, it's pretty interesting in its own right - vastly more interesting than Dracula, who was pretty one-dimensionally evil. Carmilla is far more ambiguous and, as Laura puts, it, she both attracts and repels.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark I think it was a case of the vampire as a parasite. Sure, they suck your blood which eventually kills you, but there is this weird obsessive parasitism going on as well. I thought it was refreshing after all the vampire stories I'm familiar with. I liked that the creepy mom-drops-off-her-daughter M.O. they had too. And they were less inhibited by the common vampire rules--no aversion to sunlight for example.

PS. I've been trying to come up with anagrams for Carmilla. Maybe Allimarc or Llamacri or Crillama or Crallaim. This is not as easy as it would seem :)