Classics Without All the Class discussion

October 2016 - Carmilla > Carmilla - Historical Significance

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) In this folder please share your thoughts on and knowledge of Ireland in the 1800s and what may have influenced Sheriden Le Fanu in his writing of this eerie and entertaining novella about a vampire which predates Bram Stoker's Dracula.

message 2: by George P. (last edited Oct 03, 2016 08:38PM) (new)

George P. This is my 7th novel or novella by an Irish writer. Most of my impressions of Ireland in older times comes from them. Only one was written before Carmilla's 1872 date, i.e., Gulliver's Travels from 1726, which was fantasy and not set in Ireland. The next-oldest were "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Wilde in 1890 and Stoker's Dracula in 1897, and then there was Joyce's "Dubliners" from 1914; the other 2 were much later. So from my reading I do have a couple Irish novels to compare from in this era. I see a lot of commonality between them in mood and the lifestyle of the characters, who are almost all from the higher socio-economic class. All of them from before 1900 seem to be rather fantastic tales, so Le Fanu followed that Irish writing tradition, apparently.
I know things were tough in Ireland for the lower economic class folks in those days- that's why so many US people have some Irish ancestry (like me)- lots of them came here because life was so much harder there.