Romance Audiobooks discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
45 views
Recommendation Give & Take > Recommendations - After Outlander

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments I'm getting a little desperate, I've checked out various recommendations for outlander replacements. Read Sara Donati (Wilderness series) and Susan Kearsley's Firebird. Both fell well short of the mark. Though The Winter Sea was closer (but the characters were not serialized).

Please recommend a title if you've read both (i.e. Outlander) and something else? I love very thoroughly researched historical fiction, but it must have a compelling couple. (i.e the White Queen won't do.. fit the first but not the second). Listopia is a little useless because folks just throw stuff in those categories. And I don't have the patience.

If this topic doesn't belong here, please feel free to delete and advise.


message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 01, 2016 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4214 comments Mod
Are you looking for an historical series with the same couple in each book in the series?


message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Jonetta wrote: "Are you looking for an historical series with the same couple in each book in the series?" Definitely preferred but I'm okay with one offs. Lightening doesn't strike twice.


Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4214 comments Mod
I've loved the Highland Guard series by Monica McCarty.
The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCarty The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCarty The Viper (Highland Guard, #4) by Monica McCarty The Saint (Highland Guard, #5) by Monica McCarty The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6) by Monica McCarty The Raider (Highland Guard, #8) by Monica McCarty The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7) by Monica McCarty The Arrow (Highland Guard, #9) by Monica McCarty The Striker (Highland Guard, #10) by Monica McCarty The Knight (Highland Guard, #7.5) by Monica McCarty The Rock (Highland Guard, #11) by Monica McCarty The Ghost (Highland Guard, #12) by Monica McCarty The Rogue (Highland Guard, #11.5) by Monica McCarty


message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Jonetta wrote: "I've loved the Highland Guard series by Monica McCarty.
The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCartyThe Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCartyThe Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCartyThe Viper (Highland Guard, #4) by Monica McCarty[bookco..."
Excellent series, unfortunately I've read most... looking for something new. (But I get why you recommended it), Monica McCarty does a great job. Thanks for recommending someone else may want use this suggestion.


Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4214 comments Mod
Have you read Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris? It's primarily an historical mystery series with romantic elements and it is excellent.


message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Jonetta wrote: "Have you read Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris? It's primarily an historical mystery series with romantic elements and it is excellent." No I haven't I'll check it out. Thanks. Currently reading Deadly Engagement "Alec Halsey" mystery series and it's quite good.... your brief explanation of Sebastian St. Cyr sounds similar.


Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4214 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Have you read Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris? It's primarily an historical mystery series with romantic elements and it is excellent." No I haven't I'll check it out. Thanks. Cur..."

We're reading the series as a group (in another group) and, to a person, loving it.


Jillian | 16 comments Hi,
I completely empathize with you! I love Outlander and felt a little like I was going through withdrawal afterwards. Anyway, have you read the Amelia Peabody mystery series by Elizabeth Peters? The author was an Egyptologist, so it is historically accurate and the couple is very "Jamie & Claire" IMO. I couldn't stop reading those. The original narrator, Barbara Rosenblatt, was excellent. They were re-recorded with a new narrator and I haven't tried her.

Also, there is a trilogy by R. Garcia Y Robertson (Knight Errant, Lady Robyn, white Rose) that is time travel and historical, and while it isn't QUITE as good as Outlander, I enjoyed it a lot.

Lastly, the trilogy by Deborah Harkness (All Souls?) is very well written, has a great couple, and the second book is so much like an Outlander novel that I had chills (no plagiarism though!).

Hope this helps! Happy reading.


message 10: by Sue (last edited Oct 02, 2016 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Jillian wrote: "Hi,
I completely empathize with you! I love Outlander and felt a little like I was going through withdrawal afterwards. Anyway, have you read the Amelia Peabody mystery series by Elizabeth Peters? ..."


This is great, 2 more suggested authors series that I haven't read. I loved, loved All Souls... that's the closest to Outlander that I've gotten. Some people can't get by the PNR, it's a non-issue for me when it involves historical references.

Oh, you just reminded me of a suggestion I have as well, Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries is definitely as good as All Souls (less historical references but still EXCELLENT). Anyone liking All Souls would love it.

I have read a few of Elizabeth Peter's, thanks for reminding me... I only read a few but you reminded me how much I enjoyed it.


message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sue wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Have you read Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris? It's primarily an historical mystery series with romantic elements and it is excellent." No I haven't I'll check it out...."

What group is reading Sebastian St. Cyr? I'm wait listed on the first book at my library.


message 12: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 02, 2016 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4214 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "What group is reading Sebastian St. Cyr? I'm wait listed on the first book at my library.'..."

The 2-3-4 Challenge group, which focuses on making a dent in our series TBR. We actually use a companion group for the book discussions.


Kristin (kristincason) | 6 comments I know exactly how you feel. First, maybe too obvious, have you read the Lord John books? I adore him & have enjoyed his books as much as Jamie & Claire's. Next, some suggestions: Pamela Clare's Mackinnon Rangers & Joanna Bourne's Spymasters. Also, since you like Lucinda Brant's Alec Halsey, check out her Roxley series. It's wonderful. Deborah Harkness would've been my 1st suggestion. Good luck!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...


message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Kristin wrote: "I know exactly how you feel. First, maybe too obvious, have you read the Lord John books? I adore him & have enjoyed his books as much as Jamie & Claire's. Next, some suggestions: Pamela Clare's Ma..."

This is great, I knew this group would be helpful. You all get it. :) It's funny I was thinking... Of Pamela Clare's series, Some great suggestions, I think others going through this withdrawl will appreciate them too. As for Lord John series, I do love him... he won my heart in book 7 completely. The Scottish Prisioner is so far the best, it's 50/50 Jamie/Lord John. Having trouble finishing "Brotherhood..." but I have them all and will most likely finish them before DG finishes book 9. Love her books but I really wish she'd write faster :)


back to top