A Good Thriller discussion

Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
This topic is about Bloody Mary
PIFM - Archive > Bloody Mary Buddy Read October 1st

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Just checking to see when you all want to read this, we talked about starting this Oct. 1st but if you arent ready we can change the date. I am flexible. If you want it to be today we can do that to. Just trying to find a datevwe can all read togethor.

message 2: by Mary Beth (last edited Oct 01, 2016 05:11PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I just saw Agniezska's comment that she should be ready the 5th. I have a buddy read the 4th so I probably wont be ready until the 9 th.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments I'm flexible. Whenever you guys want to start.

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments The best day for me will be around the 15th or any time afterwards.

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Any of those are fine for me. :)

message 6: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments The reason why I cant do it before that is because I have a buddy read the 5th and the 10th. So many buddy reads this month, but I love them.

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Ok let's start the 15th.

message 8: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Great sounds great to me! Kirsten and Agnieszka does the 15th work for you?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments Yes! I'm trying to finish up my current Kindle Unlimited selection so I can check out Bloody Mary. Thanks!

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments I made yesterday a biiiiiiiiiiig mistake. I wanted to read the first chapter only - since I struggled so much with the first book - and I have no idea how it happened but somehow I already finished - but it's still fine with me. I can still follow the discussion after the 15th.
Though be warned make some time free - because it's most likely when you once start you'll have a real problem if you have to put the book down - so sent family out of house put enough food and drink next to your reading chair (or bed) and enjoy the book ;-)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments LOL, Agnieszka!

I've had books like that. Only problem is the dog insists that she needs to eat and pee/poo!

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Excellent Agnieszka!
That makes me want to read it even more!

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "LOL, Agnieszka!

I've had books like that. Only problem is the dog insists that she needs to eat and pee/poo!"

That's unfortunate for you ;-)

message 14: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Glad you enjoyed it Agnieszka!

So are you all ready to read this tomorrow?

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Yep am good to go.

message 16: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Me too Vicki! It looks so good.

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments I read this book in 2013. It was really good - in fact, I gave it 5 stars.

message 19: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I really loved this one and agree with you Agnieszka! I devoured it
In 2 sittings. I thought for sure that I wouldnt love it more than the first one because I loved the character of the Gingerbread Man because it made me squirm. This one was fantastic. I loved Mr. Friskers. He had such a wild temper. The suspense just kept on having me turning the pages.

message 20: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 16, 2016 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments I just wanted to see how you're doing ladies only to see you already finished Mary :-)

Yeah Mr. Friskers is quite amusing - though stil I would prefer a nice, good behaving dog all the time :-)

Even after reading the introduction and kind of knowing 'the story starts' in the second half somewhere around 40 percent I got this feeling everything got nicely wrapt up and I'm almost finished - than seen the reading progress indication and though 'You're kidding me? Right - What's going on? Grrrrrrr' And than it got really interesting as the author promissed - even if I struggled with it in the beginning with it in the end that was what made the book so appealing because it was so unusual.
How was it for you?

message 21: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I agree! I didnt think I was going to like it in the first sitting. I only read to 38%. Then at the second sitting, I couldnt put it down until it was finished. I read the ebook. No! I wouldnt enjoy Mr. Friskers as a pet.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments What happened - where are the others?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments Hi! I'm here!!

I just finished today. I loved it. One of the things I like Jack is that she's not crippled emotionally and hasn't had her femininity surgically extracted like many female police detectives.

Mr Friskers *shudders in horror* I wouldn't wish on my enemy. Proof of why I'm a dog person.

message 24: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Kirsten I loved it also and agree I wouldnt want to have Mr. Friskers as a pet either. I love my dog and I wouldnt want to have a cat. I do like Jack a lot!

So are we all on for the third book? We also might have others that are going to join us which will be great. I am flexible when do you all want to read the third book. I would like to do it some time next month.

message 25: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 21, 2016 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Hi! I'm here!!

I just finished today. I loved it. One of the things I like Jack is that she's not crippled emotionally and hasn't had her femininity surgically extracted like many female police de..."

It's alive :-)))))))))))))))))
OK looks like either I read the right kind of books or not so many, when I think about Eve Dallas, Tracy Crosswhite, Kate O'Malley or some other strong fictional police women I'm not really sure I can agree or I just don't get the point ;-)

How did you ladies feel about the entire Latham and Alan situation?
I just hated it and thought it was unnecessary even if it gave Jack some kind of closure with her ex-husband but I just didn't like him from the beginning. Latham on the other hand I loved in the beginning until he got 'too perfect' - I thought it's so annoying nobody's so perfect.

Mary wrote: "So are we all on for the third book? We also might have others that are going to join us which will be great. I am flexible when do you all want to read the third book. I would like to do it some time next month."

I'm flexible as well and can start anytime - just let me know when's the best time next month for all of you.

message 26: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I felt the same way about them. I didnt really care for either one of them really. I thought it was unnecessary also. Just give me the mystery and thriller and I am happy, unless you are going to have better characters in a romance in the book like Eve and Roarke, which I just love the In Death Series!

message 27: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments My favorite genre is RS - if done well - so I'm looking forward to the next In Death book I got today from the library #16 (Portrait in Death in English). I love this series it's such a great combination of thrill, romance or erotic, and mundane realtionship stuff.
I don't know if you know the Romantic Suspense series by Karen Rose according to some member from one of my RS-groups it's the series 'with amazing writting and the most nasty villains' and the one appearing most often on our list with the Worst Book Villains

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments Mary wrote: "I felt the same way about them. I didnt really care for either one of them really. I thought it was unnecessary also. Just give me the mystery and thriller and I am happy, unless you are going to h..."

I love romantic suspense, but I don't get that much in this series. I don't care for either Alan or Latham. In fact, I don't remember Latham from the first book. (Although there was some guy in the pool hall.)

There's just no chemistry. I like the series mainly because it has tough female lead with a great wit and hasn't had her femininity removed.

I'm available to start the next book whenever. Please let me know when you want to start #3.

message 29: by Mary Beth (last edited Nov 02, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I agree Kirsten, there isnt any chemistry but I think this series might just be a mystery and thriller with a little romance in the background. We will see if book #3 might have more of a romance.

Do you all want to start book 3 Nov. 7th. I am just putting a date out there, I am flexible to when we start it.

Agniezka I am really interested in the Karen Rose Romantic Suspense Series. I will probably start that series in Jan.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments November 7th fine for me!

The first book in the series by Karen Rose is dealing with domestic violence and the a crooked cop, it's really tough topic and it was her debut book originaly planned as romace but after she's rewritten it ten times it became very thrilling and set the tone for the entire series. Almost all people from the RS group (we read it this year together) mentioned the romance part is the weakest but other than that great book - especially for a debut :-)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8113 comments November 7th (tomorrow) sounds good to me too!!

message 32: by Agnieszka (last edited Nov 06, 2016 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "November 7th (tomorrow) sounds good to me too!!"

For me is tomorrow already - since two hours - I think I'm going to bed now and start my book :-)

I set up the thread for the next book!

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I am planning on reading the second one (next on my list) and then catching up with you ladies on the third one. :) Sorry I got behind.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1425 comments Vicki wrote: "I am planning on reading the second one (next on my list) and then catching up with you ladies on the third one. :) Sorry I got behind."

No worries Vicki, I didn't start this month book yet as well - and it should be fun and not stress :-)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I started this one and am at about 30%.
Mr. Friskers is cracking me up. So is her partner and his trying to diet.
About Latham (view spoiler)

message 36: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Vicki Mr. Frickers cracked me up also! He has a bad temper lol!

It does get very graphic and brutal. I loved it also.

message 37: by Vicki Willis (last edited Nov 19, 2016 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Finished! Gave it 4 stars.
Thought it was great. Again another unique villian!
Going to on to the next one to catch up.

Vicki's Review