Historical Fictionistas discussion

After Rome: A Novel of Celtic Britain
This topic is about After Rome
Recommendations? > After Rome

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tammy I recently finished reading a book of England after the Romans left. Any suggestions for this time period? Not Viking or Arthurian.

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny Ingham | 4 comments Hi Tammy, as you've specifically requested a recommendation for a novel 'after Rome' I feel it's ok to suggest my own latest novel The Saxon Wolves. It's set in 455AD and explores the power vacuum left behind when the Romans withdrew from Britain. Characters include the tyrant warlord Vortigern who, according to Bede, invited the Saxons to the island, like 'wolves into the sheep pen'. The novel also features Hengist and Horsa who, according to the Anglo Saxon Chronicle, were amongst the first Saxon settlers in England. The novel is available on Amazon as a paperback or on kindle.

David | 14 comments I can make several recommendations as this is one of my favorite periods in history. The first would be Jack Whyte. His Saxon Shore series is set in the Post-Roman period and while it does have some Arthurian element, it doesn't follow the usual mythological thread that most of this genre do. Of course, Bernard Cornwell has penned many excellent books set in this era and beyond. If you haven't read his excellent Uhtred series, do yourself a favor and dive in. Beric the Briton byG.A. Henty is one that is not well known, but I enjoyed it.
After Rome: A Novel of Celtic Britain by Morgan Llywelyn is yet another great Post-Roman era read.
I'm sure there are many others, and other readers will no doubt add their favorites, but this is a good start.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bashaar | 140 comments My novel The Saint's Mistress takes place in the late Roman/early medieval era in North Africa and Italy. It is a fictionalized accounting of the relationship between Saint Augustine and his long-time mistress. Hild is another one that takes place in the early medieval era that you might enjoy. It takes place in England.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bashaar | 140 comments Penny wrote: "Hi Tammy, as you've specifically requested a recommendation for a novel 'after Rome' I feel it's ok to suggest my own latest novel The Saxon Wolves. It's set in 455AD and explores the power vacuum ..."

Penny, your book sounds good. I'm interested in that era, too. See my reply to Tammy recommending my own novel as well. You might enjoy it, too. Although it takes place in a different location, the era is the same as yours. I love that period of history, that critical point when Rome fell and the medieval period began.

message 6: by C.P. (last edited Oct 30, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 684 comments If it doesn't need to be England, I recommend The Last Wife of Attila the Hun, as well as The Lord of Horses and its predecessors.

If it does need to be England, then Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales might qualify, starting with The Last Kingdom.

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Cougler (elainecougler) C.P. wrote: "If it doesn't need to be England, I recommend The Last Wife of Attila the Hun, as well as The Lord of Horses and its predecessors.

If it does need to be England, the..."
Love the Saxon Tales. Just finished reading the tenth one!