The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
This topic is about Terms of Enlistment
Frontlines > TOE: Section 3: Chapters 16-24 (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 3

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Chapters 16-24.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Ctgt (last edited Oct 01, 2016 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments Still a lot of unanswered questions. He really set this up for a series. Yes, it's not really a cliff hanger but a ton of threads left dangling. I will say he is turning Grayson in to an all around soldier, first the combat experience, then the networking angle. He's going to have all the tools before too long.

Probably be three stars for me but it's a pretty good start so I'll be jumping in to the next book before too long.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

I enjoyed this section the most of the three. I'm rather annoyed though that we get no explanation for Detroit. Was it all just a plot device to get him up into space?

At least the way he got on the same ship was a little bit different than him just drawing her ship. I was glad to have to the two of them back together again.

I'm ready to do the next book whenever. I have the first four already in audio. Well pretty much anytime next month. My audio time is pretty booked this month now.

Teanka | 134 comments The last section of the book was intriguing enough that I think I want to keep reading the series, to see what happened next. The terraforming part and first alien contact were the highlights of the story, even though I was pretty annoyed that the troopers never tried any other approach except shooting and killing the aliens. Well, what else can you expect from the army, I guess. I'm quite curious where does Andrew get posted next.

Still, there were some major drawbacks to the story, such as no explanation of how can Earth afford to have so many colonies and terraform them while simultaneously having so many problems on Earth (wouldn't they all starve before the colonies became self- sufficient?) or nothing about the presumed Sino-Russian enemies. Where are they? Do they occupy other planets? Apparently they don't make war on Earth any more.

I've given the book 3 stars. I can read the next installment in November, if we all agree on that, it's a pretty fast read, as Rob pointed out earlier.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

To be fair to the troopers, they were hostility invaded by the aliens and the ship was blown out of the sky by mines. I don't think they had peace on their minds.

I hope in the future we meet another alien species that isn't so aggressively hostile. But since it's military sci-fi, I'm not really holding my breath.

To me I think all the rich people are fleeing earth for colonies on other planets. They poor get left behind in slums. The bare minimum is being spent to keep those people alive.

As to on earth war, he kind of quickly explained that doesn't happen anymore due to a previous nuclear war. So now, much like the cold war between the US and Russia, hostilities between nation states take place elsewhere. In this case out in space. But we haven't seen any of that yet. Maybe that will come up in future books though.

Teanka | 134 comments I thought the same, that the colonies would be rich, but the one we have seen so far wasn't really what I expected in that regard. And yes, there are definitely many possibilities of what would happen next. We can either focus on a war vs the aliens or a war vs the 'Sino-Russians'. As you've pointed out, there has to be some war because this is military SF :).

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well I think the wealth goes into the ship and supplies used to get to a colony. Not to mention the cost of terraforming itself.

We have no idea how much that costs, but probably a lot. I'd bet there is a sort of race to colonize planets before other nation states where they are sinking more money than they can afford into colonies, but spreading that money too thin (numerous planets) such that the colonies themselves won't be that well off.

They are still probably better off than most people in the slums on Earth though, albeit an entirely different lifestyle (rugged rural vs. poor urban).

There is a lot of room for more world building to flush this stuff out than we got in the first book though.

Ctgt | 629 comments I'm giving it a pass on some of these issues, hoping that they will be addressed in future books.....but since it's military sci/fi that might not happen.

Lindsay | 545 comments I picture the atmospheric processors as to be something like the ones in Alien 2. (Dropships as well actually).

And this planet had dozens and dozens of them. That seems outrageously expensive for a colony of so few.