Dystopian Society discussion

The Running Man > Classic Oct. Book -The Running Man by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) The Running Man is set within a dystopian future in which the poor are seen more by the government as worrisome rodents than actual human beings. The protagonist of The Running Man, Ben Richards, is quick to realize this as he watches his daughter, Cathy, grow more sick by the day and tread closer and closer to death. Desperate for money to pay Cathy’s medical bills, Ben enlists himself in a true reality style game show where the objective is to merely stay alive.

Two reality tv books in one month. Can we handle it?

message 2: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments Read this when I was a teenager. Very different to the spin off Arnie film. Ending...wow!

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments I also read this when I was a teenager, and then I watched the movie. Enough time has passed now that I don't remember much about either but I don't know if what I remember was from the book or movie.

I do remember that I read it from the Bachman books and I know I liked Rage and The Long Walk much better.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
I'm nearing the end - and I think I like it better than The Long Walk. I thought the introduction, where he explains his thoughts on Richard Bachman, was very interesting and good look into his "author brain".

I'll reserve judgement until I finish this last little bit!

I guess I will have to watch the movie now - but someone mentioned that Swartzenager (sp?) was the star, and I just can't picture him as the protaganist here.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments Jane wrote: "I guess I will have to watch the movie now - but someone mentioned that Swartzenager (sp?) was the star, and I just can't picture him as the protaganist here. ."

Don't do it!! It's classic 80's and will inevitably ruin the story for you.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Okay - yeah, I had that problem as previously stated with Charlton Heston and a couple of books we have read...

Thanks for the heads up!!

message 7: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) Jane wrote: "Okay - yeah, I had that problem as previously stated with Charlton Heston and a couple of books we have read...

Thanks for the heads up!!"

I also read it when I was much younger and I saw the movie. If I remember correctly, they are very different. I liked them both but I liked the book better, even though I am a child of the eighties :D

message 8: by Jane (last edited Oct 06, 2016 09:50AM) (new)

I finished the book last night, and it was good. BUT - I had some issues with the ending: (view spoiler)

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments The biology or the method :)