Dystopian Society discussion

The City of Ember > City of Ember - YA Book of the Month for October

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisb83) Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked…but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness…

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments This was a highly enjoyable read. It was like the children's version of Wool Omnibus.

message 3: by Jane (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
OOOH! I just got it from the library and will start it tomorrow (after finishing The Running Man). Wool is one of my absolute favorites, so I am looking forward to this one.

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments I know you're going to like it but maybe not quite as much as Wool. That was a fantastic series. There are 4 in the Ember series but City of Ember is the best one.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments Also a movie

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments Simon wrote: "Also a movie"

I haven't seen it yet. Have you? I was wondering if it was good.

message 7: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments It was ok, nothing special IMHO. A lot of the YA movies feel like they are trying too hard to develop marketable characters.
I haven't read the book for comparison.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Okay, now I need to hear from someone who has both watched the movie and read the book.

There are very few that live up to the book - The Hunger Games, last month's book The Leftovers, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, and I would have to say the Divergent trilogy was actually an IMPROVEMENT on the book.

I don't watch a lot of movies (except stupid comedies with my son) - so, what movies do you think lived up to or were true to the spirit of the book?

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments The lord of the rings trilogy nailed it!

The hobbit ridiculous extended edition was awful.

message 10: by Jane (new)

I am truly ashamed to say this, and may have to give back my credentials as a baby boomer/flower child/60's -70's person - but I have never read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings - nor did I watch the movies!

(blushes). And my girlfriend/neighbor had a big hairy dog named Frodo when we bought our houses in 1981 - I mean, I never let on to her I hadn't read the books. It's enough part of our culture that I have caught onto the basic themes, races, characters...

The movies LOOK visually stunning. I've seen clips - I really should watch them!

My only excuse is I spent a lot of years not reading books or watching movies, except for children's books & movies, while I raised my kids.

All kidding aside, this is something that embarrasses me!

message 11: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments There are probably a few good ones out there but it's rare for me to read a book AND watch the movie. The two that did come to mind where I loved them both were The Princess Bride and I Am Legend, although in the case of IAL, the story in the book was much different from the movie.

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose | 79 comments Jane wrote: "I am truly ashamed to say this, and may have to give back my credentials as a baby boomer/flower child/60's -70's person - but I have never read The Hobbit or [book:The Lord of the Ring..."

I didn't read them although I did try, but they were brutal. I don't know how kids get through them. You have to watch the movies. They were amazing

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon Welsh | 25 comments Watch the movies in good faith too, they extremely accurate reproductions. Beautiful.
I read LOTR I suppose between 13-16. I was hard to follow, so the second time was a charm.
2 solid weeks beside the pool in Greece on holiday :)

I also read First Blood. You know Rambo: First Blood was adapted from it. Ones about a family mans fight to save himself and his family. The others about a war vet readjusting to home town police brutality. Strange what counts as adaption. The only similarity was they were set in a mountain :)

message 14: by Jane (new)

I finished this book last night, and I really enjoyed it. It's definately YA, but that's fine with me - some of the best stories in post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction lately are YA. I was reminded of Wool Omnibus, and also The Giver. The setting and story are very much like Wool, and the fact that teens at the age of about 12 are done with schooling and are given a job to help the town work reminded me of The Giver.

I actually started the NEXT book in the series, and read the first few chapters. They explained HOW and why the city was built, and I almost felt that chapter should have been in this first book. It explains how, unlike Wool, not one of the citizens has a clue that they are underground, or that there is "sky" and "grass" and "animals".

They must have had some super magical vitamins to keep their potency for over 2 centuries! I'm sure without sun and without milk they would need to take in Vitamin D daily.

So...should I look for the movie of this?