Dystopian Society discussion

The Last One by Oliva > The Last One - Oct. Modern Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisb83) It begins with a reality TV show. Twelve contestants are sent into the woods to face challenges that will test the limits of their endurance. While they are out there, something terrible happens—but how widespread is the destruction, and has it occurred naturally or is it human-made? Cut off from society, the contestants know nothing of it.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
So... I finished this the other day. Mixed feelings - here is my review. Anyone else read this?

So....I liked this, but I didn't love it. I did love the premise: a TV survival show, with a $1 million dollar prize. 12 contestants are chosen and set off on a number of group and individual challenges. The producers stage some fake stuff, and there are times when someone gets hurt.

So far so good, right? Great premise. The book alternates between 2 time periods and 3 points of view. First is the present, with a contestant named Zoo as the narrator. Then the past, a view of the show as it started, and the nicknames given to the different contestants - Zoo worked with animals, Tracker was a professional tracker, Exorsist was a...you got it, nutjob exorsist. The 3rd voice is a message board, Reddit style, about the show. It gets a bit confusing when Zoo uses the real names of the contestants, and the "show's" POV uses the nicknames. It sounds confusing but aside from the names it works really well.

While the game is going on, something is happening in the outside world. A deadly virus spreads worldwide. Zoo has no clue - even when she finds deserted areas, even when she finds dead bodies. She figures it's all props put there by the production company.

What didn't I like? (view spoiler)

message 3: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) I did read this and (view spoiler)

message 4: by Jane (new)

Glad to know I'm not the only one!! (view spoiler)

message 5: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) Jane wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one!! [spoilers removed]"

Jane wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one!! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Jane (new)

Anne (sweetie) wrote: "Jane wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one!! [spoilers removed]"

Jane wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one!! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)