Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > December Nominations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
It's time for December nominations! As you all know December gets to be a pretty busy month for this group. My idea therefore was for the theme to be "Short Story Collections". Nominations are open until the 15th of this month. The stories must be at least 50 years old, must not have been read previously by the group, and must be written by a woman.

Nominations are limited to two per person. Also please state whether or not you are available to lead the discussion. Thanks!

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Oct 01, 2016 09:56AM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1165 comments Mod
Old New York: Four Novellas by Edith Wharton is an interesting set of short novels, called novellas, that are set in the New York of the 1840s, '50s, '60s, and '70s (one from each decade.)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments I nominate The Old Man in the Corner by Emmuska Orczy, author of and best known for The Scarlet Pimpernel. It was first published in 1901 and is comprised of 12 stories in which an old man sits in a London tea shop solving mysteries without any investigation or leaving his spot.

message 4: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 81 comments Short stories are a great idea for a busy month!

I'd like to nominate The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories by Carson McCullers (published 1951)

message 5: by Haaze (last edited Oct 05, 2016 11:44PM) (new)

Haaze | 57 comments Does it have to be a single author or are anthologies fair game? This looks like an alluring one...

Nineteenth-Century Stories by Women: An Anthology
Nineteenth-Century Stories by Women An Anthology by Glennis Stephenson

"“The female novelist of the nineteenth century may have frequently encountered opposition and interference from the male literary establishment, but the female short story writer, working in a genre that was seen as less serious and less profitable, found her work to be actively encouraged.” ― from the Introduction.

During the nineteenth century women writers finally began to be as popular―and as respected―as their male counterparts. We are all familiar with the novels of Jane Austen, Mary Shelley, Elizabeth Gaskell, George Eliot and the Bröntes. Less familiar is the short fiction of the period; yet a great many nineteenth-century stories by women―both famous and obscure―retain in full measure their power to fascinate and to entertain. For this anthology Glennis Stephenson brings together stories by both British and North American writers; by such established luminaries as Shelley, Gaskell and Kate Chopin; and by lesser-known writers such as the Anglo-Indian writer Flora Steel, the Afro-American Alice Dunbar Nelson and the Canadian Annie Howells Frèchette. The result is an anthology that will be as interesting to the general reader as it will be useful to the student. Stephenson provides background information on all authors, together with a general introduction."

from
https://www.amazon.com/Nineteenth-Cen...

message 6: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Haaze, I think that looks like an amazing collection! Thanks for the nomination!

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Actually, all of the suggestions look excellent - I'm going to be hard pressed to choose among them!

message 8: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Thank you everyone for your nominations! Here is the poll:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 9: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

The winning book was Old New York.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments I just placed a reserve at the library for our December selection!

If the library doesn't have it, I'll buy it!