World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Halloween - favorite read for Halloween? costumes? scary or fun - how do you celebrate

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.L. (last edited Oct 01, 2016 08:51AM) (new)

M.L. Favorite Halloween read or give out candy . . .What do you do for Halloween? Still dress up, scary or fun? How do you celebrate this awesome holiday?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments We never participated in Halloween activities as children so of course, as an adult, I love it lol. My husband and I usually go all out and living in NYC gives us plenty of opportunities to get the most out of what we pay for our costumes. We've done Halloween karaoke, rooftop parties, costume balls and Halloween dinner cruises. It's a lot of fun and gives us a chance to be crazy before the holiday stress kicks in.

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Hm, usually goes something like this...

1. Buy a few bags of candy before Halloween
2. Eat said bags of candy
3. Buy more candy on Halloween Day
4. Hand out candy
5. Eat remaining candy

:D

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I know whose door I'm knocking on (the day before Halloween ha ha)

message 5: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 01, 2016 09:12AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments You'd be welcome anytime, Tara :D your Halloweens sound so fun by the way!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Marie wrote: "You'd be welcome anytime, Tara :D your Halloweens sound so fun by the way!"

Thank you! XD
The aftermath is pretty horrific lol. Glitter, candy wrappers, wine corks and Elvis sideburns everywhere.

Hubby and I went as cop and convict one year and real cops kept stopping me for selfies, it was awesome :)

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer As a child, we were out well into the late evening trick or treating. Back then, costumes weren't too elaborate, but that didn't matter to us.

I live in Germany now, so not much is going on for Halloween. My husband and I still carve pumpkins, and cook the seeds. It's scary enough just being me.

Oh, and starting Oct. 4, I'll be doing back to back Goodread Giveaways for my dark, psychological suspense novel. :)

message 8: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Tara wrote: "Marie wrote: "You'd be welcome anytime, Tara :D your Halloweens sound so fun by the way!"

Thank you! XD
The aftermath is pretty horrific lol. Glitter, candy wrappers, wine corks and Elvis sidebur..."

That sounds like fun. (Elvis sideburns! :) That's really funny about the selfies. lol

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Marie wrote: "Hm, usually goes something like this...

1. Buy a few bags of candy before Halloween
2. Eat said bags of candy
3. Buy more candy on Halloween Day
4. Hand out candy
5. Eat remaining candy

:D"

That sounds like my Halloween. I did wear a costume for giving out candy for awhile, My last was an 'angel' with big wings. :)

message 10: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Denise wrote: "As a child, we were out well into the late evening trick or treating. Back then, costumes weren't too elaborate, but that didn't matter to us.

I live in Germany now, so not much is going on for Ha..."

I trick or treated as a kid too, lots of fun. I like giving out candy now and seeing all the kids. I put decorative lights along the front of the house and jack-o-lanterns.

message 11: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments I'm pretty much out of it, being 5 miles up a winding hill road and a quarter of a mile from the nearest neighbour, so I'll be floored if I get trick or treaters! It's not the big occasion in Europe as it is in America though that is changing.

You asked for a scary read - I'm going to cheat and suggest something to view! The Signalman, based on a Charles Dickens story and filmed in the late 70s by the BBC with the late great Denholm Elliot as the signalman. Although the picture quality is a bit grainy it's still a chilling watch and is only half an hour long. You'll find it on YT.

message 12: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments Don't know if it qualifies as a scary read but my all time favourite book to read around Halloween is Wither by J.G. Passarella. Just an all around fun read about witches and a college town :)

message 13: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Jen wrote: "I'm pretty much out of it, being 5 miles up a winding hill road and a quarter of a mile from the nearest neighbour, so I'll be floored if I get trick or treaters! It's not the big occasion in Europ..."

Thanks for the tip on The Signalman! I've never heard of it but Denholm Elliot is great, I'll have to look for it.

message 14: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Eldon wrote: "Don't know if it qualifies as a scary read but my all time favourite book to read around Halloween is Wither by J.G. Passarella. Just an all around fun read about witches and a college town :)"

Another new title! It sounds like fun, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Alex ~They/them~ ~Annabeth Chase and Alex Fierro are the best~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments HALLOWEEN!!!!! I'm really excited for it!!!! I'm dressing up as a book character this year for halloween

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) I read Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVor on midnight on All Hallows Eve last year.

Wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "I read Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVor on midnight on All Hallows Eve last year.

Wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done."

ooo... exorcism! scary! i'm a wimp. reading your review and the blurb sent shivers up and down my spine. i never watched "The Exorcist"--except for that one brief spitting scene. "Alien" scared the pants off of me.