Classics for Beginners discussion

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
This topic is about Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Archive 2016 > October 2016: Ghost Stories of An Antiquary by MR James

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
MR James is considered the master of the classic ghost story for a reason. Join our read and discussion. This is a book of short stories. I will post the list of the stories.

List of Stories in the Original Edition:

"Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book""Lost Hearts""The Mezzotint""The Ash-tree""Number 13""Count Magnus""'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad''""The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"

If you have different stories, no worries. Feel free to list them. You are welcome to discuss stories individually or the volume as a whole.

I will post some food for thought questions as I am able.

message 3: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Thinking of using my Audible credit to buy this one.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 73 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Thinking of using my Audible credit to buy this one."

It's free on librivox.

https://librivox.org/ghost-stories-of...

I have to admit I am a huge fan of MR James. "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" is an incredibly effective ghost story, and "The Mezzotint" uses such a novel approach and device to tell the story. I am looking forward to other's thoughts on him.

I will try to start reading this soon.

message 6: by RitaSkeeter (new)

RitaSkeeter How scary are his stories Danielle? I'm easily frightened!

They are scary in a fun way, not truly disturbing scary. What's a book or movie that scared you uncomfortably as a basis for comparison.

message 8: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Haha, I love that you asked that, RitaSkeeter, I felt the same but didn't dare to ask ;-)
I might try one and see how it goes.

And thanks for the librivox link, Kirsten!

Adria About halfway through and I am enjoying it. I find the best time to read it is in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. They're spooky, but not necessarily scary. Since I'm not a modern horror fan at all, these stories are perfect for me.

message 10: by RitaSkeeter (new)

RitaSkeeter Nina wrote: "Haha, I love that you asked that, RitaSkeeter, I felt the same but didn't dare to ask ;-)

And thanks for the librivox link, Kirsten!"

Did you end up trying one Nina? I've just read the first, and have survived without even a creepy feeling!

I'll try a second tomorrow.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Oct 29, 2016 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am working my way through the book at work and other times. I just love MRJames. I like the feel of the old and I like the stodgy Professor type heroes in it. I like the subtlety of the horror where it where it takes a while but then it creeps up on you. I also like that it doesn't have that mean sort of vibe to it that sometimes modern horror can take.

message 12: by Nina (last edited Oct 28, 2016 04:22AM) (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "Nina wrote: "Haha, I love that you asked that, RitaSkeeter, I felt the same but didn't dare to ask ;-)

And thanks for the librivox link, Kirsten!"

Did you end..."

I had planned to finish my current book first, but am really struggling with it and it takes me way longer than I expected... I hope to finish it tonight though and then listen to one of the stories. And I might also continue listening to them throughout November, it's a good ghost story month after all :-)

Have you read any more?

message 13: by RitaSkeeter (new)

RitaSkeeter Nina wrote: "RitaSkeeter wrote: "Nina wrote: "Haha, I love that you asked that, RitaSkeeter, I felt the same but didn't dare to ask ;-)

And thanks for the librivox link, Ki..."

Only the one. They're okay, but not really grabbing me. I've never been much of a fan of short stories in general though!

Sorry you're not liking the stories, RitaSkeeter. I'm getting a kick out of them. I just finished Number 13. About to read Count Magnus.

message 15: by RitaSkeeter (new)

RitaSkeeter Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "Sorry you're not liking the stories, RitaSkeeter. I'm getting a kick out of them. I just finished Number 13. About to read Count Magnus."

It's not so much that I haven't enjoyed them, more that they're just okay for me. I'm looking forward to the 'Oh, whistle and I'll come to you, my lad' one that you've mentioned above though.

Beranga | 11 comments Did not finish it. The stories are mild, in the sense of terror. Not scary at all, and at times, plain boring.

Tania | 25 comments I started this last night. I agree that the stories are not scary, they are mildly spooky, I'm fine with that though, enjoying the stories. I remember few of them being read by Christopher Lee for the BBC one Christmas. Must see if I can find them anywhere.

message 18: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Just finished the first. I somewhat enjoyed the dusty, adorable 19th centry-ness of the story if you know what I mean. Also reminded me a bit of the Canterville ghost. But I also found it a bit mwah. Might listen to one of two more but not finish the whole book. Btw: does anyone know why the title of the book refers to an antiquary?

message 19: by RitaSkeeter (new)

RitaSkeeter Nina wrote: "Just finished the first. I somewhat enjoyed the dusty, adorable 19th centry-ness of the story if you know what I mean. Also reminded me a bit of the Canterville ghost. But I also found it a bit mwa..."

Hi Nina,
This explains why: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost...

I had wondered too!

message 20: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Ah, thanks, RitaSkeeter!! Just finished the second story. I liked it a lot better than the first - until the end. That wasn't spooky, it was gross.. Let's see what the third brings (I am somewhat hooked to it now, I admit haha)

message 21: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Listened to 'The Ash-tree' this morning on the train. And somehow I just don't get really into the stories. They're ok but not more than that. Will give it one last try with 'Oh, whistle and I'll come to you, my lad' (I love that title!).

Tania, is reading ghost-stories around Christmas Eve a British tradition? And is it still done? I have never heard about it.

message 22: by Nina (last edited Nov 02, 2016 01:55AM) (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Dear MR James, I appreciate and respect you. Your ghost stories are considered classics and still read today and you even created a new genre! My compliments on this. But let me be honest: you and me are not made for each other. I guess you are too old-fashioned and I am too modern. You like spooky stories with scholars, old castles, lots of half-said things and little really happening. I also like scholars and castles but I also need specificity and some activity to understand and enjoy a story. Otherwise I get confused and lose track of the story. I admit it: I even fell asleep while listening to one of your stories. So, let's close this experiment and stay good friends.

I can see why he isn't for everyone. Thanks for giving him a try!

message 24: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "I can see why he isn't for everyone. Thanks for giving him a try!"

It's always worth trying! :-) And it's not that I disliked them, they were fine. But also not more than that for me. Anyways, thanks for having introduced my to it!