DC on TV discussion

General > Wonder Woman

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments So, what do people think of this latest announcement about Wonder Woman?

I generally don't really care about super hero sex lives and this just feels like a stunt.
Was feeling a bit lukewarm on Rucka's run, so this helped my decision to drop the title.
Shame, as the art was really nice.

message 2: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*, *Daily Planet Intern* (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 580 comments Mod
I think it's stupid and was invented just to cater to modern day and age. Like you said, feels like a cheap stunt to me.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments Yeah.
Especially when they spent most of the Nu 52 turning her and Superman into a couple.
Not to mention her boyfriend of the last 70 years, Steve Trevor.

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments And what is it with Greg Rucka and lesbians?
He doesn't seem to know what to do with women in comics unless they are gay...?

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments In more geeky and optimistic WW news: There is going to be a 'Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77' team up mini, as well as a 'WW77/Bionic woman' team up comic.

So, there are some WW comics coming on our way to look forward to.

message 6: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*, *Daily Planet Intern* (new)

Travis wrote: "Yeah.
Especially when they spent most of the Nu 52 turning her and Superman into a couple.
Not to mention her boyfriend of the last 70 years, Steve Trevor."

I've always been old fashioned with the Lois Lane stuff. Doesn't sit right me either but since I Haven't read it, won't judge it yet.

message 7: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*, *Daily Planet Intern* (new)

Travis wrote: "And what is it with Greg Rucka and lesbians?
He doesn't seem to know what to do with women in comics unless they are gay...?"

LOL Maybe secret fantasies coming out in his work? :)

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Travis wrote: "Yeah.
Not to mention her boyfriend of the last 70 years, Steve Trevor."

I've always been old fas..."

Nu 52 DC has no idea what to do with Lois Lane. Poor woman.

I read very little of the WW/Superman romance, so can't judge it as a story, but just the idea of it kind of messes with the whole 'Diana is gay' gimmick.

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 423 comments Well, there have always been lesbian signs for wonder woman that she preferred her own sex. The same with some of the other characters in the DC universe.
Sara Lance of Arrow and Legends was revealed that she was lesbian when she was lovers with Ras AGuls daughter. and even more so jumping into bed with different girls she meets in time.
But I don't have a problem with it I think its cool to have these different sexual tastes.
Batwoman and a few others are the same as well.

message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 480 comments I don't mind new characters, like Batwoman or White Canary, but not thrilled when they decide to do it with established characters.
Especially since DC is only doing it with women.

Batman's not suddenly going to be outed.

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 423 comments I don't agree with doing it just to do it. But there is a certain dynamic that two women can share relationship wise as opposed to men. Oh and DC does have a gay male couple. They are originally part of the wildstorm universe that is now part of the DC universe. One of them is called The Midnighter and there is another hero who is his lover as well called Apollo.

message 12: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*, *Daily Planet Intern* (new)

Travis wrote: "I don't mind new characters, like Batwoman or White Canary, but not thrilled when they decide to do it with established characters.
Especially since DC is only doing it with women.

Batman's not su..."

They definitely wouldnt' do that to Batman, but it would be funny because of all the old Robin jokes.

I don't care if certain characters are Lesbians, but if they were straight before in mythos and are changed just to make them stand out, that would be irritating.

message 13: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*, *Daily Planet Intern* (new)

Jeff wrote: "I don't agree with doing it just to do it. But there is a certain dynamic that two women can share relationship wise as opposed to men. Oh and DC does have a gay male couple. They are originally pa..."

Interesting.

I have a feeling we will see more gay characters over time

The Wonder Woman doesn't surprise me much since, as Jeff said, there have been signs it was a possibility before.