Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Darkest Part of the Forest
This topic is about The Darkest Part of the Forest
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black (YA BOM) Starts October 22, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 123) (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments

Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill a monster and feel quite proud of themselves. A girl can look at her brother and believe they’re destined to be a knight and a bard who battle evil. She can believe she’s found the thing she’s been made for.

Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist side by side. The faeries’ seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once.

At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. It rests right on the ground and in it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives. Hazel and Ben were both in love with him as children. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking.

Until one day, he does…

As the world turns upside down, Hazel tries to remember her years pretending to be a knight. But swept up in new love, shifting loyalties, and the fresh sting of betrayal, will it be enough?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Oct 29, 2016 01:41AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

22 Oct 1-5 1-57 Kaleen
23 Oct 6-10 58-133 Karrie
24 Oct 11-14 134-193 Nikk

BREAK DAY

26 Oct 15-18 194-254 Crystal
27 Oct 19-end 255-324(end) Chelsea

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Hmmm... looks good. I can help with questions.

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments I might be able to write some DQs depending on when this starts. I look forward to reading and discussing it!

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments umm...just kidding, I realize now that it starts on the 22nd. I can help with questions :)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 386 comments Darn, wish I didn't have so many books to get thru this month so I could re-read it an participate.
:-(

Cress (urbanpanini) | 4 comments I'll go about rereading this if you guys need help with questions.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 857 comments I can volunteer for DQs

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (Jewl) | 43 comments This would be my first book club- how do you join? Just participate?

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11907 comments ~~*Julie wrote: "This would be my first book club- how do you join? Just participate?"

Welcome Julie! Yes, we start reading on the 22nd and volunteers will post questions/comments each day to get conversations happening. You can read more about it under the spoiler in this post. See you on the 22nd :)

Steven (Gallifreyan1218) | 3701 comments I'm joining this one :)

Colleen | 77 comments This will be my first BOM here, and I'll be picking up the book from the library this afternoon. Looking forward to it! :)

message 15: by TYLER (new)

TYLER | 1 comments I am going to join this one! :)

Alissa Buhoveckey (Morrigansbooks) | 1 comments I just read this and absolutely LOVED it. It was amazing, all of Holly Blacks books are amazing.

message 17: by Kaleen (new)

Kaleen | 60 comments I'm in! And I can do questions either the 22nd or the 25th please.

Tania I just joined the group and this will be my first book reading with you all. I can't wait! I've been wanting to read this one for a while. :)

Steven (Gallifreyan1218) | 3701 comments Tania wrote: "I just joined the group and this will be my first book reading with you all. I can't wait! I've been wanting to read this one for a while. :)"

You picked an awesome group to join. Great mods, awesome people, fun challenges... welcome to the PAR-TAY.

Tania You picked an awesome group to join. Gr..."

Thank you for the welcome! There seems to be so much going on here. It is definitely my kind of party!

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Breakdown posted above

Please let us know if you are one of the volunteers and a date doesn't work for you. Thanks!!

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Ohhh! I'm excited to see that we have so many members reading with us for their first time! I hole you enjoy the book and the discussion. And welcome to the group.

message 23: by Myca (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myca Salonga | 5 comments This is the first BOM I'll be joining in and I'm so excited! Can I ask, since I live in the Philippines, what timezones will we be following and do discussions go up at the end of each day or anytime during the day?

Thanks!

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11907 comments Myca wrote: "This is the first BOM I'll be joining in and I'm so excited! Can I ask, since I live in the Philippines, what timezones will we be following and do discussions go up at the end of each day or anyti..."

Hi Myca,
Everyone posts for their own timezone, which is generally for me a day late (as I'm in Australia) ;) As comments/questions are posted each day we will link them to the breakdown above so you can always click the link to go directly to the right day

message 25: by Myca (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myca Salonga | 5 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Myca wrote: "This is the first BOM I'll be joining in and I'm so excited! Can I ask, since I live in the Philippines, what timezones will we be following and do discussions go up at the end of each..."

Thank you!

message 26: by Kaleen (last edited Oct 22, 2016 07:33AM) (new)

Kaleen | 60 comments Chapter 1-5

1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?

2) The story about Jack and Carter was amazing! There mom sounds very brave. Could you have done what she did?

3) So Ben seems to have been blessed (or cursed) with the gift of fey music. Why do you think he has chosen to try and deny it?

4) The horned prince sounds creepy! And I find it interesting that the fey don't seem to mind people hanging around him. Thoughts?

5) What on earth do you think Hazel did on the night she can't remember? Any predictions?

6) Hazel and Ben used to fight dark fey when they were kids. I'm sure this will play a role in the story. Do you think they were brave or foolhardy?

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia V. Davis (PatriciaVDavis) | 1 comments Has to be one of the most gorgeous book covers I've ever seen!

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11907 comments Chapter 1-5

1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?
Oh I don't know. I mean, sure, you get amplified abilities but you also have to live with the constant threat of the Folk. It is such an interesting concept though!!

2) The story about Jack and Carter was amazing! There mom sounds very brave. Could you have done what she did?
Yes, I agree. I wonder if there are later consequences though? I love how everyone has just accepted Jack

3) So Ben seems to have been blessed (or cursed) with the gift of fey music. Why do you think he has chosen to try and deny it?
Must be something to do with the trip that they took to Philadelphia? He went there to learn more but I'm not sure why if he is meant to have this great ability he would have needed a special school for study

4) The horned prince sounds creepy! And I find it interesting that the fey don't seem to mind people hanging around him. Thoughts?
Yes I can't wait to find out more. Obviously he and Hazel are very connected somehow

5) What on earth do you think Hazel did on the night she can't remember? Any predictions?
She was there when he escaped I guess and I think the name on the window is his name. I'm starting to think this is something like Jonathan Strange where her years are taken from her night time life.

6) Hazel and Ben used to fight dark fey when they were kids. I'm sure this will play a role in the story. Do you think they were brave or foolhardy? A bit of both really!! I sure wouldn't have done that

Melike | 53 comments 1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?

I wouldn't mind living there!!!

I wish I were that brave. I loved what she did, what a fearless woman! I am not sure if I could have pulled it off though.

I am not sure of this one.

No thoughts on this yet.

She probably had something to do with waking the prince up.

6) Hazel and Ben used to fight dark fey when they were kids. I'm sure this will play a role in the story. Do you think they were brave or foolhardy?

A bit of both for sure!

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments I just got this book from the library, so I'll be joining in!

Tania Chapter 1-5

This is a tricky question. On the surface, the answer is yes. I'd love to live in a place with magic and magical creatures. However, Fairfold doesn't seem to be the fanciful place that one expects when you think of a magical land, which seems to be the point. Life is a bit of doldrum in Fairfold, even with the magical elements (Perhaps because the horned prince has been asleep?).

I think moms can do anything when their child is in danger. I'm interested to learning more about their mom and the boys' upbringing. I'm curious to know how she has raised Jack. Does she treat the boys the same, even with the rocky background?

It isn't clear to me yet, but I think a good guess might be a common reaction many teenagers have: denying something because it is what they are meant to do. Many, but often especially youth, don't like to feel like they are being forced down a path against their will.

Are we completely sure he isn't something completely separate from the fey? Perhaps he is a different creature altogether? I look forward to finding out!

She had glass under her fingernails. My guess is that she somehow broke the glass coffin the horned prince was in.

I agree. I think their past is going to come back to haunt them, even more so than the deal Hazel made. I think they were both a bit brave and foolhardy. My worry is that they might not have always been doing good. The following passage on page 54 is quite haunting, and shows that they believed they were doing good, but I think there is an undercurrent of brutality there as well: "Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill monsters and feel quite proud of themselves..." That paragraph seems to speak of more than just simple good vs evil.

Tania PatriciaV. wrote: "Has to be one of the most gorgeous book covers I've ever seen!"

I completely agree! I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I've totally judged this one!

message 33: by Myca (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myca Salonga | 5 comments 1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?

I definitely would not want to live there. Although the element of magic and the Folk make Fairfold really interesting, I don't think I could live in a place and be afraid 24/7. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I don't know if I could've done what she did. I'm most interested, though, in how that story would be used later on in the book. Or, if it would be referenced at all again.

Maybe he feels guilty for almost costing Hazel and himself their lives. I think he doesn't want to use his gift only to have it fail him again.

This was quite a refreshing element to the story. I expected people to either not know about the horned prince, actively deny his existence or worship him. But having the citizens of Fairfold treat the horned prince and his coffin like an ordinary statue or landmark is a cool twist and really helps set the tone for how Fairfold locals interact with magic and The Folk. Kudos to Holly Black for that.

The obvious choice would be to assume she helped set the horned prince free. I'm hoping Black has another twist for this mystery.

They were quite brave, in the way children are. The older we get the more cautious we are and the more afraid we become. What I love about stories with children is that they still have that pure courage and imagination. Something I think a lot of us have left behind.

message 34: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 250 comments 1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?
It does sound interesting, but I was surprised that the townspeople were so normal after living in this town. The teenagers and main character sound like your average teen, which I wasn't expecting. I thought there would be more to them and that they might be more mature than average. I wouldn't want to live in this kind of town where the relationship between the fey and citizens sounds so dismal.

If I knew what had happened, I feel like I would have done exactly what she did, especially keeping the second baby.

I think it has to do with it not working for him that one time with Hazel. I think he realized that he isn't infallible and could get both of them hurt by relying on it.

I think he sounds really interesting!

I have a feeling she had something to do with the horned prince being missing. I hope there's an interesting twist there.

I think they were a mixture of both. I think they were too young to realize how dangerous it really was, but I think it takes a brave person, no matter the age, to do something like they did without looking for credit.

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments Chapter 1-5

Ehhhh, I dunno. Thought it sounds beautiful and certainly interesting, I'm not sure I'd be okay with the ever present danger of being murdered by faeries.

If I knew how to go about it, I think I would. I'd do a hell of a lot for my kids.

I don't know if he's denying it so much as he's lost his confidence after that falter in the woods. I think he always assumed his music would just come naturally, but when it didn't, he got spooked.

That whole thing seemed... weird. I'm not sure I'd want to hang out at a coffin, now matter how good-looking the entombed person happens to be. I guess if you grow up in that odd little town, though, you probably wouldn't be as freaked out about it. I think Hazel busted him out in her sleep, though, and I'm interested to see where that leads.

See above! I think she somehow broke the horned prince out of his glass coffin. I have no idea how, but I'm intrigued.

I mean, that's pretty freakin' brave for just being little kids. But they also had the power of Ben's music on their side. I'm not sure I would still considered it brave if they had tried it with no advantage on their side. I guess it's a little bit of both.

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11907 comments Tania wrote: "Are we completely sure he isn't something completely separate from the fey? Perhaps he is a different creature altogether? I look forward to finding out!..."

Ah, good point. He may be completely separate. Perhaps imprisoned by them

Kay Kay | 1790 comments 1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?
No!! The people don't have the magic, and the creatures seem kind of dangerous.

For my baby I would hope so.

I'm not sure he is trying to deny it. For some reason it seems the magic is gone.

I think he sounds cute. Maybe they know that there is nothing that can be done for him, and the glass can't be broken except by a certain spell or person - like a prophecy that we haven't been let in on yet.

She broke the coffin and released the prince. (My guess)

Both. With Ben's music it seemed like it was pretty easy for them.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 148 comments Chapter 1-5

It sounds interesting but definitely dangerous. The kind of town where it's overly tempting to make unfair deals for something you think you really want... Not sure if I would really want to live there.

2) The story about Jack and Carter was amazing! Their mom sounds very brave. Could you have done what she did?
Well, I would certainly try to save my family if I needed to. But I think a lot of her success came from knowing fairy-lore, so being prepared is where her bravery really came from.

Well, he gave it up when he returned from Philadelphia, so it almost makes me wonder if he also made a deal with the fey and promised not to play in return for something else. If so, Hazel should have been honest with him about her deal. I'm sure he at least thinks he has a good reason for stopping, even if someone else would know better.

I don't think he sounds creepy. I'm sure it has to do with some kind of magic or curse. The question now is- where is he? And the fey may not mind people being around his coffin if they know it is unbreakable, simple as that. Although they obviously don't like violence towards it.

Considering that she had glass on her hands, I'm guessing she somehow broke open the coffin herself. But she was obviously under some sort of spell to do it since she doesn't remember anything. Not sure yet how it's tied into her 7-year deal. Maybe seven years of her life are to be added to the boy's? So maybe the fey gave her the ability to break the coffin in order to do so? But why now?

They were definitely foolhardy, but it seems like a good fighting duo all the same. And yes, I'm sure their childhood games will come back in some way.

message 39: by Tania (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tania Chelsea wrote: "And the fey may not mind people being around his coffin if they know it is unbreakable, simple as that. Although they obviously don't like violence towards it."

I think this is an interesting point. Do you think that they don't want violence toward the horned prince or toward the coffin itself? Perhaps they don't want the coffin to be broken, because they don't want what is inside to be freed. If so, this means he could be a threat to the fey.

If they only cause harm to those who try to do physical harm to the coffin, do you think that they know there is someone out there who can indeed break it?

message 40: by Keli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keli | 152 comments 1) Fairfold sounds like an interesting town. I would love to live there! What about you?
I don't know. It sounds interesting but it also sounds a bit Stepford-ish. Everyone's okay with a tourist or two getting "lost" because they like to live in an enchanted town? That seems more scary than the fairies.

Heck, yes. Well, the burning the baby bit would've been incredibly hard. That probably been the only point I'd hesitated. But I would've kept them both too.

Probably cos he faltered. He must have some idea of the effect of hos music and it must've scared the dickens out a 12 year old boy to realise that their safety is largely on his shoulders with his ability to entrance.

I think it's weirder that the parents don't mind. Or that their okay their kids hanging out in haunted woods with an enchanted creepy prince. I don't think the fae care cause what can humans do to them? Or clearly, the Prince is not well regarded as they don't seem to care about him or tend his coffin.

Killed fae.

Foolhardy. But when your 11 it doesn't appear that way to you. Well, at least until something goes wrong and the weight or severity of your actions gets forced upon you, like Ben's music faltering. What insane fun it must've felt like to their child selves.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 148 comments Tania wrote: "Do you think that they don't want violence toward the horned prince or toward the coffin itself? Perhaps they don't want the coffin to be broken, because they don't want what is inside to be freed. If so, this means he could be a threat to the fey."

(Some of my reasoning for my answer to this question comes from info in about Chap 8, so I'll put it as a spoiler just in case.)
(view spoiler)

Tania Chelsea wrote: "(Some of my reasoning for my answer to this question comes from info in about Chap 8, so I'll put it as a spoiler just in case.)
(view spoiler) "

Thank you for being so careful with the spoiler note. Continued discussion about this topic (Ch 7-8): (view spoiler)

Kay Kay | 1790 comments Chapters 6 - 10

7. Ben breaks his hand on purpose so that he can't play after his music teacher is killed when he plays when he is upset. I get him being upset, but this seems like an over reaction, when he could just learn to be more careful with his gift. What did you think about that? Also is that why he could no longer play the music?

8. Hazel mentions spaghetti, meatballs and peas as a common childhood meal that is comfort food for her. Do you have a meal like that that you associate with comfort from your childhood?

9. Why do you think the prince was awakened and released now?

10. I was surprised that Ben has not been to college to study music yet, but the fairies can collect on their seven year agreement. Am I misunderstanding something here? Is the time in Philadelphia the school that Hazel bargained for, or is it college?

11. I was surprised by how much Severin knows about the desires of Ben and Hazel. Is that part of his magic? Do you think he knows everyone's desires?

12. When Hazel is thinking about her family she thinks "Normal was a lot more tempting when it was out of reach." Do you agree or disagree?

13. Are you enjoying the story so far? Any favorite characters?

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 148 comments Chapters 6 - 10

7. Ben breaks his hand on purpose so that he can't play after his music teacher is killed when he plays when he is upset. I get him being upset, but this seems like an overreaction, when he could just learn to be more careful with his gift. What did you think about that? Also is that why he could no longer play the music?

I was so sad when he did that, being a former musician myself. That just shows how it's both a blessing and a curse. I think that definitely has to do with why he no longer plays, but I think it's also a mental thing. There are definitely some instruments that can be played with one hand and/or limited movement, so it's not that he can never play again. I think it's a fear of hurting someone again.

8. Hazel mentions spaghetti, meatballs and peas as a common childhood meal that is comfort food for her. Do you have a meal like that that you associate with comfort from your childhood?
Well, I went through stages of being addicted to certain breakfast foods, that's for sure. As for a family dish... spaghetti is actually one of them, with garlic bread. Homemade sourdough bread for memories of my aunt and grandmother.

This goes back to my previous discussion with Tania. I think Hazel was used by someone to release him to counter a certain threat. Alternatively, one of the prince's enemies figured out that Hazel could release him so that they could then go kill him. But then why not just have Hazel kill him? So yeah, I think he's going to be an important tool on one side of some sort of battle.

10. I was surprised that Ben has not been to college to study music yet, but the fairies can collect on their seven year agreement. Am I misunderstanding something here? Is the time in Philadelphia the school that Hazel bargained for, or is it college?
I don't think he has graduated high school yet- I'm pretty sure he's a senior. It was the Philadelphia school that she bargained for, which would have been when they were in middle school, I think. It was five years previous to the present that Hazel made the deal because he had already had his audition but didn't have the money to get in. So then he received a scholarship right away and they left for Philly. And he left the school because of his teacher/hand.

11. I was surprised by how much Severin knows about the desires of Ben and Hazel. Is that part of his magic? Do you think he knows everyone's desires?
He said that he heard everything that was said near his coffin while he was asleep. Which means he not only knows their desires, but also their mother's as a young girl since she hung around the coffin as well. And anyone else who came to the coffin, of course.
At first, I was wondering if he could read minds, but since he had to ask Hazel about the sword, I concluded that he can't. Although maybe he can "read" emotions.

12. When Hazel is thinking about her family she thinks "Normal was a lot more tempting when it was out of reach." Do you agree or disagree?
Everyone wants what they can't have. But then if they get it, they're not always happy. People are usually better equipped to deal with the problems life hands them naturally rather than other people's problems.

Definitely enjoying it so far. There seems to be enough content to make it into a series. As for a favorite character, it's hard to pick someone other than Hazel since we see everything through her perspective. I hope that Ben goes back to playing music. And I hope Jack always remains a friend and doesn't turn into an enemy. And for goodness sakes, what is up with their clueless parents? I can't believe how unobservant they are.

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 250 comments Chapters 6 - 10

7. Ben breaks his hand on purpose so that he can't play after his music teacher is killed when he plays when he is upset. I get him being upset, but this seems like an over reaction, when he could just learn to be more careful with his gift. What did you think about that? Also is that why he could no longer play the music?
I don't remember his teacher actually dying, but I may have just misunderstood. I thought the teacher was close to dying because of him, but either way, I do think he could try and learn how to be careful with it instead of giving it up altogether. It's hard to put myself in that position, but I would want to try and learn as much about it as possible in case a situation came up where it could be helpful. If he feels it's uncontrollable for him, though, it would be hard to try and learn knowing it could have the opposite effect of what he wants.

My comfort food when I was a child was probably frozen single-serve pizza from Schwann's. That was an easy go-to meal for us since my parents didn't cook often, so seeing those brings me back to my childhood for sure. Chocolate/peanut butter ice cream also brings me back!

This is a question I can't wait to have more answers to. I think Hazel's forgotten memories of that night will reveal a lot. I'm hoping he was released by her for good reasons - like she found out how to release him and knew he could help defeat evil faeries. He doesn't seem like a "bad guy" to me yet, but there's too many unanswered questions to be sure.

I thought it was just the Philadelphia school and not college.

I think he knows theirs because they visited him so often and talked to him. It sounds like they both went there separately without each other, so I'm sure they both revealed a lot about themselves out loud thinking he could never hear them. I think he knows desires about others as well that talked to him when he was "asleep," but I'm hoping it's another thing we find out more about.

I think it's easy to believe the grass will be greener on the other side, but it doesn't always hold true.

I am enjoying it, although I feel like my expectations of Hazel's personality were higher than they should have been. She has moments where she seems mature and I enjoy her story, but the whole teenager kissing, flirting, etc, just isn't what I see her as in my head, so those moments I don't like her as much. My favorite character is probably Jack because he's so mysterious and doesn't seem like a villain (that I can tell).

Tania Chapters 6 - 10

I think this is an extreme reaction, but honestly I thought it was one that made sense. I think the music was something he couldn't resist, or at least something that he was worried he couldn't resist. He destroyed his ability to play, so that there was no chance he could start playing again.

Pigs in a blanket (hot dogs wrapped in canned crescent rolls) and mac n' cheese. It was a cheap and easy meal, but was one that was always fun, and one of the first things I learned how to cook on my own.

I don't have a guess on any exact details, but I think he has been released to cause/or due to some sort of change in power. I think the balance is being disturbed in some way, rather it be from his release or his release is due to this imbalance.

I think from the timeline, Ben is a senior in high school. I think the school in Philadelphia was just a private school and that this was the school Hazel bargained for, because she knew her parents couldn't afford to send Ben. Then Ben got the scholarship. What I wonder is whether or not Ben would have gotten the scholarship without her deal. Did the fae even actually do anything to make the deal happen? It would be like them to take advantage of something that was already going to happen.

I think it is a bit of magic, but I think a lot of it is because they used to sit at his coffin and tell him their secrets, because they never truly thought he would wake up.

I think we often want what we don't or can't have. When we are experiencing a mundane existence we crave adventure, but we often want simple life again after a while of adventure. It is kind of like that feeling of wanting to go home after you've been on vacation for a while. It has been fun, but you just kind of want your own bed and normal routine.

I am enjoying the book. It took me a bit to really get into the flow, because it wasn't what I expected. So much of it is just a story of what it like to be a normal teenager, even with the presence of fairies. which I think makes this unique. The magic and modern life are blending in such a way that nothing seems out of place. The world building in this story is quite good; it just wasn't the whimsical and surprising world of magic that I was anticipating.

So far, I'm not feeling very close to any characters, although they are interesting. I really want to know more about Jack, though. So, if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably say him. I really like Ben, too, because of the relationship he and his sister have. I was quite close with my own brother when we were younger, and I admire strong sibling bonds that last as they grow older.

Tania Chelsea wrote: "And for goodness sakes, what is up with their clueless parents? I can't believe how unobservant they are. "

Oh my goodness, yes! The parents, or lack of, kind of annoys me. I feel like we are just supposed to take Hazel's word that her parents care about them, but there has been hardly any interaction with them. I wonder if this has been done on purpose, or if the characters of the parents just aren't going to be fleshed out. Do you think there is more to them, especially the mom, than we've been allowed to see yet? Do you think they will become players in the story? I really hope they do in some way.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 148 comments Tania wrote: "Oh my goodness, yes! The parents, or lack of, kind of annoys me. I feel ..."

My guess is that they are simply background characters, but that's still no reason for them to not be involved in their children's lives to the point of not knowing they are literally out fighting monsters! I mean, I understand that there are negligent parents out there whose kids often get into trouble or drugs, etc., but to this point of danger? Hard to believe. I would like to hope that they later become involved, but I highly doubt it.

message 49: by Keli (last edited Oct 26, 2016 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keli | 152 comments 7. Ben breaks his hand on purpose so that he can't play after his music teacher is killed when he plays when he is upset. I get him being upset, but this seems like an over reaction, when he could just learn to be more careful with his gift. What did you think about that? Also is that why he could no longer play the music?
If I grew up in town where fairies and magic were real and I knew growing up that my "gift" was given by a fairy (whose magic is a curse as well as a blessing) i think breaking my hand might not be that strange. Equally if I knew my music could kill, indeed had hurt someone, again I don't think maiming myself would be over the top. Even if i got training and unbelievable control over my playing there is every chance it could go wrong cos noone is perfect, so do I accept that I could kill someone accidentally even though I tried my hardest not too? Or do i make it so if I felt compelled to play it hurt so bad i couldn't? Again i might choose the latter.

Chicken and biscuits with gravy.

He's got to help Hazel in an epic battle against the momster in the forest.

Did she not ask that they get him into the school he wanted to go to? I don't think she put too many stipulations on it, poor thing.

At first, I thought he could read minds but i later learned how he knew everything. Being encased for hundreds of years, listening to humans ramble on to you can make one an expert at human psychology. And allow into all their deepest secrets.

What is normal? The neglect that she and ben suffered is not normal. It's definitely not normal that they are out there slaying dangerous fairies without their parents knowing. I couldn't even get away with smoking a cigarette without my mom finding out much less kill monsters! So is she missing that level of disinterest that borders on neglect? If that's the definition of normal, I'll take normal any day of the week. Give me food, love and attention.

13. Are you enjoying the story so far? Any favorite characters? I think it's a great story good pace, interesting characters and premise. Jack is my favourite character so far.

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11907 comments Chapters 6 - 10

I thought it was a bit O.T.T too, and I'm not convinced this is why he can't play anymore as the gift was magical and he seemed to lose it before they went to Philadelphia

Probably crepes with lemon and sugar as a Sunday night dinner. So nutritious... haha

Is it something to do with the 7 years? Has that passed already? I'm not really sure

I thought she bargained for Philadelphia which is where he was studying music, but then left when he thought he was responsible for the teacher's heart attack

Maybe. I figured he knew from hearing everyone talk at his coffin and he was listening to them all. Perhaps took more notice of Ben and Hazel for reasons we will find out

Yes I like this saying. specially considering where they live

I am. I find it intriguing although I'm not sure I have any favourite characters so far as we haven't really delved into characterisation too much. I just really like the interesting town and how they all live. Looking forward to finding out more

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Holly Black (other topics)