The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > movies movies movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 757 (757 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments So, I watched Now, Voyager last night.

great last line.

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Do we get to know what it is? Or is this your way of getting us to watch it? heh

message 3: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Isn't it some sort of Bette Davis movie?

Ah what do i know, i was working last night...
:)

T

message 4: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 28, 2008 07:28AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Arctic: I watched Now Voyager about a month ago. I posted on it in the Movies We've Just Watched Group. What did you think? Was Bette hideous at the beginning, or what?

message 5: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments yes, quite repulsive. I had a hard time seeing her beauty even after the transformation.

I could have sworn this movie was mentioned here in this group as well, possibly in the Holiday Movies thread. My viewing was based on a comment here on goodreads. I'll have to find it somewhere, but I thought it was mentioned on GG, which given the theme totally seems like something Lorelai would mention with regards to Emily.

Tom, yes Bette Davis is the star of this one.

Meghan, here's the line:
"Don't let's ask for the moon; we have the stars."

I would've posted this in the Holiday Movies thread, but seeing as the holidays are long gone, I thought maybe a new general movies thread was called for? I can re-title it Now Voyager though if we'd rather post individual movie threads, which might indeed be easier to navigate. What say the moderators?

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 28, 2008 08:46AM) (new)

Heather: Maybe you're thinking of the Movies We've Just Watched Group (page 7). You & I were chatting about Bette Davis films...and we agreed to watch this one, and possibly Jezebel? But maybe it was somewhere in the Holiday Movies thread as well.

I'm bad at making book group related decisions. The movies thread is fine with me. I'll leave it open to discussion. :)

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments must be Alison...oh well. It's a good film and I'd recommend it to this group as well. Especially for those interested in the whole mother/daughter dynamics thing.

I do still need to watch Jezebel.

I really liked the way this film ended though. So many films like this would have had a 'happier' ending for the two protagonists, but I thought this was a stronger more interesting way to do it. (trying not to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it still)

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan You know, it'd be kind of fun to do a group movie event, although I'm not sure on the logistics.

Remember the episode where Lorelai rents all three "A Star Was Born"? (My favorite because that's the one with "the kiss". sigh) Anyway, would anyone else think it would be fun to do this? We could give a week or two for people to get all three in and then schedule a real-time chat to discuss it? Or we could just pick one. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I'm not sure how feasible a real-time movie watching event would work out. (Field trip! ha. kidding)

Just a thought.

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan oooh! I just thought of another movie. Pippi Longstockings!

I actually bought the book so my daughter would be able to have the story. I remember discovering her (Pippi, not my daughter) one summer at the library. I thought she was so cool.

message 10: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I would love a movie night! We could pick a movie once a month along with our books, and just start a thread. We could pick them about six months out...so we wouldn't have to tie up too much time voting.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 35 comments oh wow.......Pippi!! She was so much fun. My favortie back then was Anne of Green Gables! Hmm...maybe I will go buy the rest of that series now.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I could go for the Judy Garland A Star Is Born, but not all three at once.

message 13: by Arctic (last edited Feb 28, 2008 10:12AM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments great idea Meghan! I could go for a monthly movie night as well.

I'm another Pippi fan too - been a looong time since I watched those though.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) TCM showed Philadelphia Story this morning and now it's showing High Society. Wow, this is really a crappy remake. I adore, adore, adore Bing and Frank and Grace, but they don't belong in the same film as Katharine and Cary and Jimmy. Totally different styles.

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany A RGBC movie night would be fun! I love the idea Meghan. If we go with A Star is Born I'd vote for the Judy version too. Since this website is pretty much the extent of my social life it would be like going to the movies with my girlfriends.

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Tiffany - LOL. Good to know I'm not the only one!

Judy is the one that was showing on the episode, so that is a good pick.

Okay, now on to the REALLY important question: Shopping list! What all do we bring to eat during said movie?! lol

message 17: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I say we do Judy's "A Star is Born" for March.

Are we going to watch it "live" or just watch it for March and post on it ad lib?

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Feb 28, 2008 12:35PM) (new)

Meghan Is this a movie we'd be able to get fairly easily? If so, we could attempt the live one. Otherwise, it might be better to just watch when you can and post later.

But I second the nomination. :)

Oh, and sorry for hijacking your thread Heather!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments I think a monthly movie or whenever would be a fun idea!

message 20: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Good idea. I think it would be hard to coordinate a "live" movie night, but maybe pick a date and then everyone discuss afterwards.

I'm stealing this idea from one of the gilmore girl blogs but they have everyone comment on the show played on the weekdays on ABC Family. That could be pretty cool if we started from the beginning.

message 21: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Jeez I take my eye off this little 3 post thread and look what happens!

As for a movie night, I would suggest, to tie it in slightly to the literary side of this group--watching "Emma" and "Clueless". Prizes for whoever can spot the most parallels, since they're essentially the same movie.
;)

T

message 22: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Wasn't there mention of a rory film list somewhere?

I like Shannon's GG episode discussion idea too. I think they're on season 4 now? Last time they only went through season 5 I think before restarting at the beginning. Still, it could be awhile. We might want to just jump right in.

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I like the way you think Tom!

You too Shannon. That would be fun. It would be a great way to get all the literary references too!

message 24: by Dottie (last edited Feb 29, 2008 12:27AM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Found this on Amazon -- a lisstmania list by someone in Ohio.

Gilmore Girls Movie List

1. The Way We Were (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Barbra Streisand

2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate
Factory DVD ~ Gene Wilder

3. Boogie Nights DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg

4. Flashdance DVD ~ Belinda Bauer

5. Footloose (Special Collector's
Edition) DVD ~ Kevin Bacon

6. The Wizard of Oz DVD ~ Judy Garland

7. Grease (Widescreen Edition, with
Songbook) DVD ~ Eve Arden

8. The Shining DVD ~ Jack Nicholson

9. Guys and Dolls DVD ~ Marlon Brando

10. Urban Cowboy DVD ~ Brooke Alderson

11. An Affair to Remember DVD ~ Cary
Grant

12. Sixteen Candles (High School
Reunion Collection) DVD ~
Molly Ringwald

13. Old Yeller (Vault Disney
Collection) DVD ~ Dorothy
McGuire

14. Ishtar DVD ~ Warren Beatty

15. Fiddler on the Roof (Special
Edition) DVD ~ Topol

16. Sid & Nancy DVD ~ Sandy Baron

17. Midnight Express DVD ~ Ken Minyard

18. Fiddler on the Roof DVD ~ Topol

NOTE -- this is repeated.

19. Purple Rain DVD ~ Prince

20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (25th
Anniversary Edition) DVD ~ Tim Curry

21. West Side Story DVD ~ Natalie Wood

22. Fame DVD ~ Alan Parker

23. Funny Girl DVD ~ Barbra Streisand

24. Desperately Seeking Susan DVD ~
Rosanna Arquette

25. The Music Man (Special Edition) DVD
~ Robert Preston

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Ooohh great list Dottie! I sense a Barbara Steisand movie night...heh

I think we should watch Richard III in the Rocky HOrror Picture Show style.

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I'm all in favor of anything Rocky Horror style! HAHA

message 27: by Dottie (last edited Feb 29, 2008 11:35AM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments This isn't MY listmania list -- I don't have one -- just don't want to claim anything that isn't so here. I thought it was a great list, too, and certainly a good solid start on compilations of the GG filmology!

message 28: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I think Willy Wonka would make a good movie to try RHPS style. heh

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Interesting that Boogie Nights is on there... that's the movie that Dean said he wanted to watch but Rory told him that Lorelai hated Magnolia so much she'd never agree to it.

Now WHY would a high school boy want to watch BOOGIE NIGHTS with his new girlfriend and her mother? All the nudity, sex, drugs... I'd never in a million years watch it with my mother, and I'm nearly thirty years old!

message 30: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 29, 2008 10:22AM) (new)

Exactly--that last shot with Mark Walhberg's prosthetic penis? I think that (Gilmore Girls) line was a set-up for a Magnolia joke.

"I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big bright shining star. Yeah, that's right."

I have been trying to message the moderators about movie night--but apparently there's a problem with messaging on GR right now--at least for me. Shannon, Michele...what are your thoughts?

message 31: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I was just wondering what hating Magnolia had to do with watching Boogie Nights...been awhile since I watched either film though.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Same director and writer, I think.

message 33: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 29, 2008 11:26AM) (new)

Yeah...both P.T. Anderson. As well as Punch Drunk Love, There Will be Blood...He made this big entrance with Boogie Nights and then a lot of people were split over whether Magnolia was brilliant or trash...it was pretty long and a big downer. Some people found it to be a bit painful.

message 34: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments Ishtar? How is that on anyone's list! Was it a movie they joked about or something? Doesn't seem like anything someone would want to watch on purpose!

message 35: by Sarah (last edited Feb 29, 2008 11:13AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Anyone notice that that list is mostly musicals?

Oh, remember, Easter Parade was one. Lorelai bought it for Emily when she bought her the DVD player.

And that one with Rosie O'Donnell where she rides the bus.

message 36: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Yeah...I'm thinking we make fun of Ishtar and that Rosie one, but don't actually watch them. :) Yay, musicals! Also, episode 1 when Rory meets Dean she references "Rosemary's Baby."

Midnight Express is about getting arrested in a foreign country--much like that movie with Kate Beckinsdale....the guys get them to put the drugs in their backpack??

Also, I watched Sid and Nancy because of The Gilmore Girls. It's pretty entertaining. :)

message 37: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments ah yes, that might explain it. thanks.

message 38: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Sounds like a lot of fun, can't see a reason why we shouldn't.

message 39: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

When we were talking about gilmore girl movies in some other thread, I had never seen Funny Girl - so I watched that a week or so ago. I really liked the beginning, but not so much the ending.

message 40: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Feb 29, 2008 03:33PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Okay, after seeing the List Mania list, I see a GLARING omission... The Godfather Trilogy. They revered them and would watch them periodically all in one night. I can't list the episode, but I remember it so distinctly because I was so surprised being that those movies tend to be considered more guy flicks. I also remember because I hadn't (still haven't) seen them and since they loved them I decided I HAD to see them! (If someone else mentioned them already, I apologize... have to run - literally - so didn't get to read all the posts here yet.)

message 41: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments The Godfather movies are definitely worth a watch, some more than others. I could go for re-watching the first two again for sure. If we do a Godfather marathon though, we have to do a Lord of the Rings marathon as well. :)

I prefer Funny Face to Funny Girl, but then I also prefer Audrey to Barbara.

With any luck I'll be watching both No Country for Old Men and 27 Dresses this weekend. (yay!)

Kudos to Dottie for finding the other GG films thread with list links.

message 42: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Heather - Good suggestion. But do we watch the regular LOTR movies or the extended versions? or both!?! heh

message 43: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

I've been recently catching up on classics and I love Audrey Hepburn. I just watched Roman Holiday the other day. Gregory Peck was pretty hot - lol.

message 44: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Shannon - I couldn't agree with you more. RH is one of my favoite Hepburn movies and I so had a crush on Peck (even though he was my grandfather's age). He brought that smooth coolness way before Clooney & gang.

message 45: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments I love Gregory Peck too, he's totally hot at any age!

message 46: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Heather & Meghan, my sister just bought the extended versions of all LOTR movies so I'm up for a marathon! Hee. The behind the scenes were interesting because of the relationship between the cast -- the Fellowship really had some great bonding moments while filming. They make fun of each other all the time.

Also because my sister kept playing bits and pieces of the DVDs before going to bed at night, the image of Aragorn is embedded to my mind and crops up whenever I try to imagine Rochester while reading JE.

message 47: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh Dini, what a lovely image to go to sleep with!

But speaking of whom, I have no idea how to picture Rochester. He's suppose to be completely unattractive right? But I just don't get the sense that he's outright (physically) ugly either.

message 48: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I love the idea of a "movie night" whether on the same night or as we can with comments at a set date.

I have been a bit sick the last few days and have been reading more than movie watching (normally, it is a balance between the two), but last night, after getting TCM's monthly newsletter, went to program Tivo to record the 8 million movies I want to see. I caught "12 Angry Men" right at the beginning, one of my most favorite movies, and settled down with some theraflu for the amazing ride. When it was over, I watched "So Big," an early '30s Barbara Stanwyck film with a VERY young and fabulous Bette Davis. It was a glorious evening!

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Didn't the Girls also watch Grey Gardens?

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think the episode with The Godfather trilogy was when Rory was going off to Yale. They got back from Europe and planned to watch them all and eat biscotti but then Rory found out she had to get back a week early, right?

Courtney, I've had the flu all week too. But I can't concentrate hard enough to read so I've been watching a lot of movies when I'm not sleeping (but I've been sleeping about 18 hours a day).

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16