Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Hunting Ground--September Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments So the first thing that suprised me about the book was when she mentioned that Charles takes care of the packs finances. He must have taken over when Samuel went to live with Mercy.

I guess that just didn't seem to be one of his interests to me.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tiffanykotz) I'm in for this book!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I didn't really care much for CRY WOLF, but this book redeems the series. Really liked it. Arthur....what a tool! It was nice that Moira & Tom were such a part of the story even tho I didn't care for the short story about them in STRANGE BREW.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I loved seeing Tom & Moira after reading their short story. It was like a little inside secret :D

Really like the direction this book took things. I kept going back and forth on who the bad guy was! Was a nice change to not automatically know who was causing the trouble. Arthur, nuttier than a fruitcake.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 18 comments Just a thought. It might be nice read the Patricia Briggs short story in Strange Brew prior to starting this book. It's a good introduction to Moira and Tom who are presented in Hunting Ground. I am about halway through the book and like it as much if not more than Cry Wolf.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Dawn wrote: "Just a thought. It might be nice read the Patricia Briggs short story in Strange Brew prior to starting this book. It's a good introduction to Moira and Tom who are presented in Hunting Ground. I a..."

I wasn't nuts about that short story in STRANGE BREW. The only story in that anthology that I really liked was Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden story.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I received 'Hunting Ground' today and will start reading it tomorrow. Hope it's an easy read or I'm going to be way behind everyone else!

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I found as I read this book that I really started to like Anna and Charles better. I wasn't too sure with the 1st book. What I really liked was how in a lot of books they never brought up the problems that they were still trying to figure out as a couple. Just because they were mated didn't mean that it is the fast track past getting to know each other and dealing with their personal issues. It was nice to see both of them stop to think what the other was going through and make adjustments to what they were going to do.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I agree. It was nice to see them considering each other and not just automatically knowing everything. Though, at time their insecurity was a bit annoying too.

message 11: by Asher (new)

Asher (rusco_) | 1 comments I actually read Cry Wolf before I even got into the Mercy series. Coming back to Anna and Charles after reading up to the latest Mercy book was a nice return although it seems like it could have been a different world. Mostly (only) because the hired vampires came across incredibly underpowered. That could just be due to the perspective of a werewolf, as opposed to Mercy's experiences, but I felt they were spoken to be a lot more dangerous than they were shown to be (if that made any sense).

My favorite scene would have to be "Submissive Charles." It sums up a lot about their relationship. A powerful scene considering how erotic it was.

I had no clue about the Moira/Tom short story. I'll definitely check it out.

I honestly could write an essay on my thoughts and feelings. Definitely cannot wait for the next in the series.

message 12: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments I started with Cry Wolf, then read the Mercy series, too.

I didn't think the vampires seemed underpowered. None of them seemed to be very old.

message 13: by Paula (last edited Sep 08, 2009 08:20PM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I just finished Hunting Ground. Nice book. It has most of the fantasy people, werewolves, witches, fae, trolls, and spirits. I like that it was written in third person. First person's alright, but there seems to be less information flowing.

I'm always for beheading vampires. I've never be able to buy the premise that vampirres are anything other than souless nasties.

Brother Wolf and the way he is separated from Charles was interesting. There was constant negotiation going on between them and once or twice Brother Wolf just took over.

I agree that submissive Charles was a powerful scene. It's what Anna needed and so he gave it to her. I also like the doubt both of them have with each other. Briggs does let the doubts temporarily be resolve (they talk, they touch, they are reassured).

message 14: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I really enjoyed Hunting Grounds. Liked the plot and also the growth of the relationship between Charles and Anna. Briggs has a way of making you care about the the characters in her books. Am looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 15: by Starling (new)

Starling | 153 comments Read the book a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it very much and like where the series, and the relationship, was going.

And it looks like an Omega is not only not a super submissive, an Omega might be the only one who can stand down a super Alpha. Anna begins to get a handle on her real powers in this book.

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Tom and Moira was a nice addition to the story. I want to find out what happend to Moira's eyes. I said to myself when her eyes were describe "Somebody fix them! Use magic". Don't think that's going to happen.

I forgot which brother is older, Samuel or Charles. I think Samuel is older. I need to go to the Mercy books and look it up.

I'm not too pleased about Bran making Charles his killing machine. It certainly made Charles an interesting character study, but it's just so sad.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Fowler | 29 comments Sam is older, thus Cornick as a last name, Bran and Sam are Welsh. They mention that he was turned not long after Bran-- making him another one of the really old werewolves, and then Charles mother happened after the father and son came to the new world.

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Thank Laura!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Paula wrote: "I'm not too pleased about Bran making Charles his killing machine. It certainly made Charles an interesting character study, but it's just so sad.

Its made pretty clear in the Mercy books that this is just the way things are. I don't think its that Bran 'made' Charles his killing machine. I think its one of those things that just happened, and since he was so good at it, he continues with the responsibility.

message 20: by Paula (last edited Sep 12, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I'd like Patricia Briggs to let us into Bran's head. Though that may be a difficult task. I should reread the Mecry books and pay more attention to Bran. I think that Charles was depicted as detached or distant by Mercy. In Hunting Ground I found out why!

Charles's responsibilities may shift some what, now that he is with Anna. I just love the way Charles and Anna do whatever they can to please each other and they both worry that it's the wrong thing or not enough.

message 21: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments I think we got into Bran's head a little in Cry Wolf. He's one of my favorite characters. He seems like the kind of leader you'd gladly risk your life for.

The only thing I wonder about with Bran is 'why does he allow the rule about unmated female wolfs being property of the alphas?' He was quick to protect that young girl from the Mercy series. Why not protect all wolfs?

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I need to read Cry Wolf. After reading about the abuse Anna endured, I decided to skip it. There is obviously information in Cry Wolf which would clear up some questions I have.

I didn't like the unmated female's situation in the Mercy book. I was hoping that Mercy would start a safe house for all abused female weres! I hold hopes that conditions will improve for them. I'm so glad that Bran protected the young girl. I was worried about her saftey.

message 23: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments Yeah. I've noticed a reacurring theme.

Anna, Mercy, Ben, Honey, Mercy's friend...

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Hopefully Patricia Briggs will resolve the abuse issue or at least make it better.

Briggs' depiction of the fae was right on, at least in my opinion. Anna being chosen as "the instrument of our justice" by the Gray Lords was momentarily uplifting. Anna went to confront (kill) Dana to save Charles' life. Poor Sunny! Liked the Troll.

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne I was told to read the short story in On The Prowl before reading Cry Wolf and Hunting Ground. I don't think I would have understood either story quite as well without it. I don't know why it wasn't included as the beginning of Cry Wolf. It tells the story of how Anna became a werewolf, what she had to endure, and how she met Charles. Pretty important stuff, in my opinion.
I was wondering about the reacurring rape theme in Briggs books, too. What's up with that?

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I'm going to have to buy On the Prowl and read Cry Wolf. I like Anna and want more detail in her timeline. Yes the rape scenes are reacurring. Maybe Briggs is leading up to a solution. I realy don't want to read a series where rape is used to demonstrate brutality within the packs.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments In fairness the rape in the Mercy series had nothing to do with the pack, so I don't think it's anything like that. And I always thought Bran would send that young girl to Samuel, as we know how much he wants a child and I think he'd do a great job raising her. Oh well...

Back on topic though, I really enjoyed this book, much more than Cry Wolf. I love that we're getting to know Anna and Charles more and watching their relationship develop. Seeing Tom and Moira again was a huge bonus, as I'd really enjoyed their story in Strange Brew. I wasn't entirely sure where this series was going, but I'm really enjoying it. It's not Mercy, but it's a good way to tide be over in between her books.

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I finished Hunting Ground today. I really liked it. I read "Alpha & Omega," from On the Prowl just a few days ago. Having not read On the Prowl first, I was less ready for Cry Wolf. Now I'd like to read the story in Strange Brew about Tom and Moira.

Re: the abuse, I wondered if Ric the almost- psychologist is going to become an ongoing character helping Anna, Mercy and others. Anna can hardly go to a shrink down the street.

message 29: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments Julia, if there was a shrink down the street, he or she would have been raised around Wolfs. Like half of Aspen Creek are Wolfs, and it's been an open secret there for who knows how long.

I was able to buy just the Alpha & Omega story from ON the Prowl for like $3 from the Amazon Kindle store and read it on my ipod touch. I don't know if that helps anyone.

I liked both the Alpha & Omega stories better then last Mercy book. Mercy's felt like her life had ended, while these feel like a new beginning for Anna and Charles.

message 30: by Anne (new)

Anne I've enjoyed watching Anna slowly get stronger and stronger. I think Briggs does an excellent job writing characters who have been traumatized. It's almost like she lets them heal in real-time. I seems like it takes forever in the books, but when you think about it, it is a little more realistic than some of the other stories that I've read. Well, as realistic as you can get when the main character is a werewolf!

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments mostunexpected wrote: "Julia, if there was a shrink down the street, he or she would have been raised around Wolfs. Like half of Aspen Creek are Wolfs, and it's been an open secret there for who knows how long."

Yeah, but wouldn't it be difficult to open up to someone you have to see in your day to day life? I know I appreciate that my therapist and I never see each otehr outside of her office.

message 32: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I could see that who, Dr Ludwig, Dr Choo (?) (I almost said Jeremy!) would set Ric up to have regular appointments with wolves all the planet via the computer.

He is needed in this universe.

Those werewolves in France need him!

message 33: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments Jessica wrote: "mostunexpected wrote: "Julia, if there was a shrink down the street, he or she would have been raised around Wolfs. Like half of Aspen Creek are Wolfs, and it's been an open secret there for who kn..."

I guess that would be an issue in a small town.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I finished the book last night and enjoyed it. I gave Cry Wolf 3 stars when it came out and this entry in the series was a definite improvement. Not a 5-star book yet, in my opinion, but a high 4-stars.

I love chatterbox Ric and hope he gets to stick around for awhile. Also liked Tom, Moira, and Angus. "Rabbit" - haha! :)

I totally did not peg Arthur for the villian (to use Charles's phrase)! I can't believe he had Sunny killed. What a crazy rat-bastard. Sad too because I kind of liked him even though he thought he was King Arthur.

It was nice to see some progress in Charles and Anna's relationship.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Arthur was defiantely off his nut. Sunny was such a sweet woman and so good to him. I was so mad at how he treated her!

message 36: by Starling (new)

Starling | 153 comments More than anything else Sunny never realized that he had stopped loving her.

message 37: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I don't think he stopped loving her. I think he had her killed - remember, they weren't supposed to make it painful - because he loved her and didn't want to watch her age and die. In his own crazy way, I think he believed it was an act of love.

message 38: by Anne (new)

Anne Theresa wrote: "I don't think he stopped loving her. I think he had her killed - remember, they weren't supposed to make it painful - because he loved her and didn't want to watch her age and die. In his own crazy..."

I thought the same thing. Arthur really loved her, but he was nuts. He had her killed so that he could spare himself from watching her slowly die of old age. I think he talked himself into believing that it was for her own good.

message 39: by Paula (last edited Sep 17, 2009 06:04AM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) He did love Sunny and Arthur had a good replacement with Anna, Guinevere(sp?).

message 40: by Starling (new)

Starling | 153 comments Anne, I agree. She wasn't suffering at the point when he killed her; she was just beginning to age.

message 41: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments I don't know. Anyone over 30 has lost their trustworthiness. :-)

Even if he thought her death was better than further aging, why not try to make her a Wolf? He did love here, but this was all about greed. He wanted to be a legend.

At the time of her death I thought he was going to try to make her a vampire. I was wrong, but I did think it was him from the very beginning.

I wonder what cool things the sword and dagger can do.

message 42: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I agree that Arthur really thought he was doing Sunny a kindness, but that didn't negate the fact that he was a wack job and didn't even think about what she would have wanted. I'm glad he bought the farm. Now, as I said before, tell me Bran's story! I don't care if it takes a book the size of an Outlander book!

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 18 comments Melodie-

I agree! I need a book on Bran's story. Maybe we should blog about that on Patricia Briggs site - start a we want a Bran book chant or something.

I am not convinced Arthur was being kind, I think he wanted to delude himself into thinking that so he wouldn't have to think of himself as being the nut job jerk he ended up being... Just my 2 cents.....

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I think he was just too crazy by this point (buying into his own lies) to realize how horrible it was to do what he did.

message 45: by Anne (new)

Anne I want to read more about Bran, too! I almost feel sorry for Leah. At times it seem like she really loves him, and all of that bitterness in her is coming from her feelings of rejection by him. I wonder if Ms. Briggs is going to give a few chapters dedicated to working out the drama between them?

message 46: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments Leah may be bitter because of Bran, but she was always unkind. Bran mated with her because she was an unpleasant person. He wanted a mate who he could never love. Her character was introduced trying to kill Mercy.

If you were going to start trying to tell Bran's story, I'd start with a book from Blue Jay Woman's point of view. She was a witch(shaman). The book could have walkers before they were almost wiped out, which would be a nice Mercy tie in. Also Asil and his Wife.

message 47: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 40 comments I may be in the minority, but I'm really not sold on these Alpha & Omega books. It's unfortunate, because I've been a Mercy Thompson fan since day one. To me it seems like Patricia really loves the world she's created and wants to keep writing in it because she loves it so much, but she doesn't care as much as Anna, Charles, etc. as she does about the Tri-Cities gang...therefore, to me, these books read much more flat and soulless than her other work. It's almost like fan-fiction, honestly: same world, same overlapping characters, but that "spark" that makes Briggs' work so special to me just isn't there.

I'll probably keep reading this series because I want to support Briggs' writing, but it'll never measure up to Mercy in my opinion.

message 48: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I agree that the Alpha & Omega books are nowhere the caliber of the Mercy books. If HUNTING GROUND hadn't measured up the way it did I didn't intend to continue with them. But it was a good story, so I'll stick around for the next one.

message 49: by Anne (new)

Anne mostunexpected wrote: "Leah may be bitter because of Bran, but she was always unkind. Bran mated with her because she was an unpleasant person. He wanted a mate who he could never love. Her character was introduced tryin..."

I don't think I could read a story about Blue Jay Woman or Asil's wife. Now that I know what ended up happening to them, I wouldn't want to get attached to them. Too sad for me.

message 50: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 40 comments Melodie wrote: "I agree that the Alpha & Omega books are nowhere the caliber of the Mercy books. If HUNTING GROUND hadn't measured up the way it did I didn't intend to continue with them. But it was a good story..."

The story was pretty good...and I think I would have liked it, had it been different characters and a different author. You know, without the whole Patricia Briggs thing to live up to... :-)

« previous 1