Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Dark Beyond the Stars: A Space Opera Anthology
This topic is about Dark Beyond the Stars
Book Discussions > Dark Beyond the Stars (anthology)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G33z3r, Old Man Yelling at Clouds (last edited Nov 10, 2016 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

G33z3r | 8638 comments This is the discussion hub for our discussion of the scifi Short Story anthology...

Dark Beyond the Stars by David Gatewood Dark Beyond the Stars edited by David Gatewood

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in the Dark Beyond the Stars folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content below.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

CONTENT
"Containment" by Susan Kaye Quinn (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Nos Morituri Te Salutamus" by Annie Bellet (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Protocol A235" by Theresa Kay (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Winner Takes All" by Elle Casey (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Carindi" by Jennifer Foehner Wells (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Animal Planet" by Patrice Fitzgerald (-->> DISCUSSION)
"The Event" by Autumn Kalquist (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Dragonet" by Sara Reine (-->> DISCUSSION)
"Lulu Ad Infinitum" by Ann Christy (-->> DISCUSSION)
"To Catch an Actor" by Blair C. Babylon (-->> DISCUSSION)
"2092" by Rysa Walker (-->> DISCUSSION)

I didn't find any of the stories in this collection available (legitimately) free on-line.

Michael | 151 comments One comment I had on the overall anthology. I know this is more important to some peoole than to others but I was actually about 2/3 of the way through the book before I realized the authors were all female. I can only assume this was deliberate and it certainly goes to show that space opera isn't limited to make writers.

message 3: by G33z3r, Old Man Yelling at Clouds (new) - rated it 3 stars

G33z3r | 8638 comments Michael wrote: "One comment I had on the overall anthology. I know this is more important to some peoole than to others but I was actually about 2/3 of the way through the book before I realized the authors were a..."

I think it's also an indie author showcase.

message 4: by G33z3r, Old Man Yelling at Clouds (new) - rated it 3 stars

G33z3r | 8638 comments Michael wrote: "One comment I had on the overall anthology. I know this is more important to some peoole than to others but I was actually about 2/3 of the way through the book before I realized the authors were all female..."

As a general observation on the collection of stories: there aren't many male characters in this collection (and only one of them is the lead character.) In those few stories where a male character appears, they're all bloodthirsty, trigger-happy idiots. In "Animal Planet", "Dragonet", & "To Catch an Actor", the male character is a murderous idiot; In "Winner Takes All", he's just an idiot. (The one exception is Annie Bellet's Nos Morituri Te Salutamus, and maybe 2092 where most of the males are duplicitous jerks but the human male seems well-meaning and smart. )

message 5: by G33z3r, Old Man Yelling at Clouds (new) - rated it 3 stars

G33z3r | 8638 comments My choice for stories worth reading in this collection would be
"Containment",
"Lulu Ad Infinitum",
"2092", &
"Carindi".

message 6: by Michael (last edited Sep 21, 2016 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael | 151 comments G33z3r wrote: "Michael wrote: "One comment I had on the overall anthology. I know this is more important to some peoole than to others but I was actually about 2/3 of the way through the book before I realized th..."
I remember being a bit displeased with the shallow, one dimensional characterization of the "trigger happy idiots" but I guess I wasn't keeping track from story to story how many times that was repeated. In retrospect it is more than a little annoying as a male reader.