Psychological Thrillers discussion

Book Series > FEBRUARY BOTM (2017 ) All books by JAMES PATTERSON

Comments (showing 1-50 of 176) (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by emilee ashline (new)

emilee ashline (eashline92) | 4 comments So far I really love the Alex Cross series. They are fast paced and the plots definitely catch your attention

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I liked Alex Cross too. My problem is with Patterson anymore it seems to be hit or miss. I've had a few I felt I wasted my money on.
There's another detective he writes about too, can't remember his last name but it is Michael and he has a lot of adopted children. He's Irish. I want to say Michael Sullivan.

message 3: by emilee ashline (new)

emilee ashline (eashline92) | 4 comments I seem to agree. i havent read any of the Michael series but I've read a couple of Alex Cross novels and so far they are pretty good

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Karen B. wrote: "I liked Alex Cross too. My problem is with Patterson anymore it seems to be hit or miss. I've had a few I felt I wasted my money on.
There's another detective he writes about too, can't remember h..."

It is the reason I won't buy his books anymore unless I get them at a deep discount.

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) They say it's because he uses ghost writers. He writes so many books a year that it's hard to believe one writer could do that by himself.

message 6: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments Karen, great observation on the ghost writer explanation. I lost interest in Mr. Patterson books when he incorrectly depicted Alex Cross' back story in one of his latest Alex Cross books. That was a contradiction from the earlier Alex Cross books.

Just curious, has anyone read any of the James Patterson Book Shots books?

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Jimmie wrote: "Karen, great observation on the ghost writer explanation. I lost interest in Mr. Patterson books when he incorrectly depicted Alex Cross' back story in one of his latest Alex Cross books. That was ..."

I got Witnesses but haven't read it yet. Really trying to finish up some old reading. Have you read any.

message 8: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments A co-worker loaned me Cross Kill and I have the audio version of Little Black Dress on loan from my library. I will provide an update on these two later this week.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom | 10 comments James Patterson is coming to the Savannah Book Festival in February. I haven't read him in years but might try to see him anyway.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments I just finishing up a Cross book now. His recent books are co authored which to me isn't the same as his earlier books

message 11: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 961 comments Mod
I don't read him, but what is the reason why he has someone else writing for him?

message 12: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments I'm reading the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series for a Dean Koontz book group. These books are also co-authored. One of the reasons I like the Psychology Thrillers group is because Stephanie-Mod picks books by authors that still write their own books.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Jimmie wrote: "I'm reading the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series for a Dean Koontz book group. These books are also co-authored. One of the reasons I like the Psychology Thrillers group is because Stephanie-Mod pic..."

I think that when an author co-writes a book with someone it is to give that person a break because I myself wouldn't buy a book from Mark Jones if Patterson/Koontz/King name wasn't on it. Unless it had a eye grabbing cover would I pick up and look.

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave Barlow | 4 comments I've read the first two Alex Cross and they are quite enjoyable. I've got the third one in my drawer at home which I definitly want to read at some point

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Dave wrote: "I've read the first two Alex Cross and they are quite enjoyable. I've got the third one in my drawer at home which I definitly want to read at some point"

I think there are about 10+ books in that storyline I could be wrong but after the first 6 they start becoming cookie cutter. The characters have their own personal lives.

message 16: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments Dave, Chris is spot on with the Alex Cross series. They get a little redundant. What soured me on James Patterson was he changed the back story of Alex Cross' wife murder in the Alex Cross series. I have continued the Alex Cross saga because like my child's art work, I continue to post their art work on the refrigerator because I support my child. I have found the last two Alex Cross book are on par with the first group of Alex Cross books. So I'm glad I did not give up on the Alex Cross series.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Jimmie wrote: "Dave, Chris is spot on with the Alex Cross series. They get a little redundant. What soured me on James Patterson was he changed the back story of Alex Cross' wife murder in the Alex Cross series. ..."

I haven't given up on the Cross series because I do like the characters especially Nana. I will be really sad when her time is over because to me she is the heart of the books because she keeps the main characters grounded.

message 18: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I have been turned off by James Patterson several years ago; his writing just wasn't as good. I am thinking for the BOTM discussion of going back and re-reading the Woman's Murder Club Book One as it has been a long time since I read it. I am open to other suggestions. I also liked his books with Michael (can't remember last name) who has a lot of adopted children and an uncle priest who helps him as well as a really good Irish nanny.

message 19: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments Karen, the Michael Bennett character is outstanding. Michael Bennett's father plays a key role in raising the kids. I believe his name is Seamus, other something like that sounding name. He is the same type of grounding rod to Michael Bennett that Nana Mama is to Alex Cross.

I recommend the James Patterson Book Shot books to anyone new to James Patterson or just as a filler. They are quick reads and are great bridge books between normal book releases.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Karen B. wrote: "I have been turned off by James Patterson several years ago; his writing just wasn't as good. I am thinking for the BOTM discussion of going back and re-reading the Woman's Murder Club Book One as ..."

Read the book that I am reading now "Invisible" . It is about an FBI analyst whose sister dies in a fire. The person that set the fire is a serial arsonist along with being a murderer. The story goes back and forth between the arsonist and the the day to day routine of the analyst of the FBI. I think you would enjoy it since it reminds me of Patterson of Old.

message 21: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Thanks Chris, I like that idea.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments I have read so many Patterson books that his characters start melting together except Cross books. I am trying to figure out what book Michael is in because I am sure he is a a recurring character.

message 23: by Marti (new)

Marti | 5 comments I stopped reading Patterson when he had to go to a co-writer. Either you write your books--but don't farm them out!

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Marti wrote: "I stopped reading Patterson when he had to go to a co-writer. Either you write your books--but don't farm them out!"

They are his ghostwriters. That is why most of his books start sounding the same. Very rarely will you hit upon one of his books now that really grabs ya. The one I am reading now is co-authored and worth reading. It's actually original considering it came out in 2015. Most of his books are fluff, beach books or whatever you call a book that doesn't keep you thinking.

message 25: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 182 comments Chris wrote: "I have read so many Patterson books that his characters start melting together except Cross books. I am trying to figure out what book Michael is in because I am sure he is a a recurring character."

Chris, the Michael Bennett books are based in New York. The first few books were good, but just like the Cross series, they became cumbersome.

message 26: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) He's a policeman and he has quite a few adopted children. I thought the first book was great! His uncle is a priest and helps him out ... Seamus. He has a fantastic helper, a nanny, housekeeper, good friend. I wish I could remember the title of the first book. I bet if you did an Amazon search for Michael Bennett - James Patterson you'd find the series.

message 27: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Chris, the first book is Step on a Crack. It's written with another author but he's good (at least the first few books) I think the first three were the ones I liked.

message 28: by stephanie, MOD (new)

message 76: by Jim
4 hours, 14 min ago

I'm still looking for a GREAT JP book to read for Feb. That way I can actually partI cite in the discussion!

message 29: by stephanie, MOD (new)

message 77: by Karen B.
3 hours, 24 min ago

Jim, I'm going to read the one Chris recommended. Haven't downloaded it yet but I trust her opinion and it had high ratings on Amazon.com too.

message 30: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Okay, which one is that? I have to admit I'm not the biggest JP fan in the world. I did read one once and didn't get real excited about it Don't remember which. So I'm certainly willing to try another one. He has an online writing course I'm going to look at. Maybe enroll if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

message 31: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Chris mentioned liking Invisible . That's what I am going to read.

message 32: by stephanie, MOD (new)

message 76: by Karen B.
2 hours, 25 min ago

Chris put it on that thread ... maybe you didn't see it --- Invisible I don't know if this link will work for you or not.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FPQA7O...

message 33: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 49 comments I feel like James Patterson is too mainstreamed and have never ever read any of his books. So do you you recommend Invisible as a good starting point? Based on your comments the Alex Cross series sound interesting too.

message 34: by David (new)

David Blyth | 1 comments I've read most of the Private series of books and really enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to picking the new one today - Private Delhi. The hardbacks in the UK are deeply discounted at chain stores like Tesco. His books which are cover priced at £20 sell for £9.00 on release day. I've read some of his stand alive thrillers to which gave been great reads.
I've bought most of the Bookshots and they are quick fast paced reads - novellas actually. Again discounted here in UK - priced at £2.49 they are available for as little as £1.50.
As I understand it, I may be wrong, but Patterson plots the story lines and others write them.
Incidentally, James Patterson is not the first to use ghost writers - it began with Jules Verne.

Dave

message 35: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) If he plots the books and then ghostwriters take over than I fault him for the uninteresting plots in some of his more recent books. I think he is in too much of a hurry to get the books pushed out.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Karen B. wrote: "If he plots the books and then ghostwriters take over than I fault him for the uninteresting plots in some of his more recent books. I think he is in too much of a hurry to get the books pushed out."

I agree with you Karen that is why I consider his books fillers. In other words if I am behind on my Goodreads Book challenge i read a few of his to catch up.

@David I believe I read the first Private book by Patterson and enjoyed it immensely bc to me that was Patterson of old the story actually had substance.

Karen, I better get back to reading Invisible then. Yes, I am enjoying the book even though it was co-written with someone. All I have to say was it was a well spent 25 cents for book.

message 37: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 247 comments I am going to opt out of the Patterson reading month,
I was never a big fan of Patterson but found some of his earlier plots entertaining and interesting but the more he wrote, the less I liked. He has become too commercial for my tastes.
So, I'll check in on your discussions and catch you in March :)

message 38: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Oh Betsy has flew the coop....

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Betsy wrote: "I am going to opt out of the Patterson reading month,
I was never a big fan of Patterson but found some of his earlier plots entertaining and interesting but the more he wrote, the less I liked. H..."

I believe you would like the book that I'm reading. Believe it or not there was actually thought when he wrote this one.

message 40: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (absorbedinpages) Just started the first Alex Cross book Along Came a Spider Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. Pretty good so far.

message 41: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I liked that one a lot.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Karen I don't know if your reading the book I am Invisible well I all I can say is that the evil doer in the book is totally off is rocker. JP actually took time with this book.

message 43: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I haven't been able to get it yet Chris but believe me I can't wait! God-willing I will get it Wednesday.

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments Jaime wrote: "Just started the first Alex Cross book Along Came a Spider Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. Pretty good so far."

Along came a spider and Kiss the GIrls are my all time favorite Cross books.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy (TheNikitaGirl) | 15 comments I think I might read these in February. It's been YEARS since I read a Patterson book. I remember LOVING the Kiss the Girls film.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 515 comments Wowzer! Talk about rolling along, and it's not even Feb yet. Okay, so I will follow along and give INVISIBLE a try. That previous link didn't work. Give this one a shot:

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Jame...

I noticed that the French version is only $1.99! Wowzer!

Betsy, you might like to jump ahead and read the March BOTM book called TWISTED by Hannah Jayne. I LOVED it!!

message 47: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 247 comments I just downloaded it, Jim, on your recommendation. Thanks!

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris | 559 comments I would like to apologize to the people that I recommended Invisible too. Didn't realize that it cost $9.99 since I got the book for $.25. Patterson has written 144 books I am sure many of his books can be picked up in thrift shops.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 515 comments Wha-wha-wait a minute! I didn't "recommend" it, as in, Don't blame me! It was somen odyssey else recommended it! It's in my library queue and should pop up any minute now.

I will put up a yuge James Patterson page on the BOTM site pretty soon. Send me a note on Goodreads if you have anything great for me to post there! Botm.blackdogebooks.com

I'm ready for March, having read TWISTED nearly straight through. So that should be another fun-filled month there, too.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 515 comments Okay INVISIBLE just showed up in my library queue. Hope I can find it there. I'll wear my special glasses!

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Along Came a Spider (other topics)
Kiss the Girls (other topics)
Invisible (other topics)
Cross the Line (other topics)
In The Company Of Liars (other topics)
More...