Q&A with Paulo Coelho discussion

Your books

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilmarie (new)

Hilmarie | 1 comments I don't have anything unique to add to the chorus of praise that is absolutely deserving of your writing. You're an inspiration and breath of fresh air to many tired and weary souls. I live in the DC metro area, so the commute to and from work can be frustrating and often times, stressful. I bought The Alchemist on CD to survive and discovered myself sitting in my car, after having parked at my destination, not wanting to interrupt the story. I loved it; it was nothing I had ever heard or read before. Your storytelling is amazing and your message universal.

My best friend, referred me to Eleven Minutes, which was also a treat to read. I started and finished while on vacation in Miami.

The most recent book I've read has been By the River Piedra, I Sat Down and Wept.... and I must say, this story really touched me on a personal level. This was finished in a matter of hours. And I'm almost ready to pick it up again.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your gift. I look forward to reading more of your work. I wish I had an intellectual question to ask, but am coming up blank. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to extend my appreciation and love of your writing. For now, I hope you'll simply accept that much :)

blessings,
hilmarie

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Dear Paulo,

I was introduced to the Alchemist by a Korean friend who wanted me to help him better his English skills. He brought this book along and started reading it out loud. I was hooked and though I didn't have the money then to buy the book and pursue it to the end, I did so a few months later. I enjoyed it a lot.

However, my favorite remains The Devil & Miss Prym. Again, it was a friend who introduced me to this book. She borrowed a book of mine and having misplaced it, decided to replace it with one of yours. I love the simplistic answers that make the finale. I've read it twice and I know I'll read it again. The other book that I really enjoyed reading was Be Like A Flowing River. I think it's good enough to use as a morning devotional.

What I like about your books are the simple stories and more importantly, the simplistic way in which you put across your philosophy. Some authors and columnists expound on philosophy so complex, that it appears to be meant only for the highly intellectual :). I believe that an author's greatest ability is to put across his story/philosophy in such a manner as to be understood by the common man.

I read in one of your posts that you're re-reading Sidhartha now and that you've recently written the preface to that book. I also read that it was a book that saved you when you were in the asylum. I read Sidhartha a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that it's now one of my all-time favorites. Isn't it neat how a book, no matter when it was written, can reach out to people and make a difference to their lives? I guess that's because there are certain universal themes that remain constant.

Could you name some of your other favorites?

May you continue to have a rich everyday life so you can share it with us through your writings.

Jen