The Power and the Glory Discussion Group discussion

The Title

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) | 18 comments What did y'all think of the title?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good question. I wonder what amount of thought went into it.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Jeremy, I'm not following you around, I'm just online right now. I hadn't noticed this subject before. Perhaps he got it from "for Thine is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory." That's the end of the Lord's Prayer, protestant version.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2009 11:03AM) (new)

That seems like a very reasonable conclusion. Even though it fits the theme, I don't see how it ties directly into the story. Not that every title does. Not that I am finished reading it yet.

Stalker!

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) LOL. I was confused by the title too. Okay, I'm signing out of Goodreads now. Whew.

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Kim, in her review, posted the Eliot's "The Hollow Men." In the last part the narrator says, "For Thine is," but can't quite finish the line, which just happens to be the title of this book. That's not coincidental I think. Toward the end The Priest is referred to as a "hollow man." I think this book can be read as a commentary on the poem.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

If this is true that would be such a sad thing not to know. The intertwining of literature. That would be beauty.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Wow Dave. You know, sometimes you blow me away.

message 9: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) | 18 comments That is cool and a really great reason for the title. Kind of strange that he would use the protestant version, though, considering the book's abut Catholicism. Though that line is so familiar to me, I feel like maybe it's included in a different prayer - the Apostle's Creed or something maybe?

message 10: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) I believe the priest was also referred to as hollow man initially where he met the dentist. Greene describes his features as hollow when he first appeared and used the phrase 'hollow man' a little later

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmm...must re-read the first chapter

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments I am with Dave- the poem and the Lord's Prayer are the makings of the title. Amazing stuff hidden in there. Graham was good- am getting the End of the Affair today. Can't wait to find out if I stay on team Whiskey Priest or change sides.