Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments Ive been working on a project for a dance studio I work at. The project is going to be a HUGE wall full of quotes. I had a blast finding quotes and I thought it would be fun to share all of our favorite book quotes here!

message 2: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I love this idea! I tab books and keep a book of quotes from things I like or that stand out to me. When I get a chance I will go through and pull some of my favorites that don't give anything away.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments Ohh I have a book of quotes as well! Love it! Im glad to know someone else does =-) as soon as I get home Ill add some as well!

message 4: by Misty (last edited Jul 26, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I read this, went upstairs and opened the book I am reading, and there, the first sentence of the chapter I'm on sums up my feelings on life exactly (well, a big chunk of it):

"The trouble with morning is it comes well before noon."
The Sweet Far Thing
Libba Bray

:D

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I keep a book of quotes, too!!! After I finish writing my paper I'll add some.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) Excellent idea! Instead of constantly reading things aloud to my boyfriend I'll just post them here. He'll thank you all. :)
This may be kinda long, but it sums up why I'm smitten with this character Bridget in Gods of Manhattan:
"Flopping on her bed, she reached over and picked up her only Barbie doll. She normally didn't play with such girlie things, but her brother had given it to her for Christmas and so she'd decided to keep the doll but give it a Bridget-style makeover. She'd wrapped a bandanna around the Barbie's head and taped a huge double-edged sword from one of Rory's old toys to her hand. This was Malibu Death Barbie. A fashion-conscious dealer of justice. The last thing her enemies saw before their horrible dismemberment was a flash of pink lipstick and a really big knife."

message 7: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments That is fantastic. I want a Malibu Death Barbie.

message 8: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Jul 28, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) I love this too!!!

One of my favorites has to be from City of Glass.

Simon say "Have you tried talking to her?"
Jace replies: "No. We have been punching her in the face repeatedly. What? You don't think that will work?"

Cracks me up!!!

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 35 comments ohh I love that quote! I loved the immortal istrument books. Such great quotes in them! Heres another one.

You Might want to lie down," Magnus advised. "I find that it helps when the crushing sense of horrible realization sets in.

so funny!

message 10: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) LMAO!!! that one's great too.

"Malachi scowled. "I don't remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane."

"They didn't," Magnus said. "Your wards are down."

"Really?" the Consul's voice dripped sarcasm. "I hadn't noticed."

Magnus looked concerned. "That's terrible. Someone should have told you." He glanced at Luke. "Tell him the wards are down.""

Magnus is great!!!

message 11: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I don't love those books (I like, not love them), but I do love Magnus.

message 12: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I really like this one from The Once and Future King by TH White:
The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn."

message 13: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments From The Sweet Far Thing:

Peace is not happenstance. It is a living fire that must be fed constantly. It must be tended with vigilance, else it dies out.

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Looking for something else, I just came across these, my favorite quotes from Coraline:

"Small world," said Coraline.
"It's big enough for her," said the cat. "Spiders' webs only have to be large enough to catch flies."

"She kept us and fed on us until we've nothing left of ourselves, only snakeskins and spider husks."

"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."

The sky was a robin's egg blue, and Coraline could see trees and, beyond the trees, green hills, which faded on the horizon into purples and grays. The sky had never seemed so sky, and the world had never seemed so world.

So good.

message 15: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 164 comments okayy, i know im kinda, majorly delayed, but can i just say i LOVED that line with magnus in city of glass...i was cracking up when i read that xD

okayy, i know this isnt YA, but has anyone read the dark hunter series?? this is one of my favs from savitar *sighs*
The way to overcome the angry man is with gentleness, the evil man with goodness, the miser with generosity and the liar with truth. -An Indian proverb It sounds good, doesn't it? If only people and life were that effing easy. Trust me, it takes... more than a friendly biscuit to tame a hungry lion. And it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's war. -Savitar, Chthonian god

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments Zainab, Go to the Book Club Group listed below and please add your comments about the Dark Hunter series. We need a list of the books in order and would love to know why you love this series. This group is for the young at heart because we talk about books read in and out of book groups.

http://www.shelfari.com/groups/36484/...

message 17: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 164 comments Thanks Carol!

message 18: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 164 comments Carol- I'm not all that sure how that website works though...