Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Warded Man (The Demon Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Warded Man

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments September 1st kick off

message 2: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I will be following the discussion. It's been three years since I read it, so you might just bring up some things I had forgotten.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Although on my to read list I'm oversubscribed for September.

Enjoy.

message 4: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I'll be good to go Sept 1st - but I have no problem delaying if most peoples' lists are full.

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

Angela | 3604 comments Mod
Enjoy Jarek and Sean. I have this one my TBR as well, but too many other reads committed to for next month. Will read at a later date.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Getting ready for the read as September looms around the corner:)

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I was going to send out a group email about The Dragon's Path and The Last Mortal Bond which are both starting September 1st as well to remind people. I'll add this to the list. Probably do it the 30th to give people two days to do what they need to have the books. I'm doing the other two, one on audio, so I'm out for this one. Enjoy.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Great Scott (nu pun):D Thanks:)

message 9: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments It'll probably be the weekend by the time I'm ready to start at this rate. If I get this and Bakker read for the month, I'll call that a success.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Kick off Time for the warded man enjoy and comment. Remember about spoiler tags:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Iam about 15% in to the book. The beginning is overall a bit slow. Its like a study of a socjety under great stress and full of fear. Its intertesting but a little dragging. Its also interesting world building showing how this socjety lives on a day to day basis. Closer to where I am now things start to heat up and we get to see some Demons in action. Looking forward to see what happens:)

message 12: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I'm still way behind on The Republic of Thieves and my reading has slowed right down, so I'm just going to skip this one for now. I'll try pick it up again at a later stage - it looks like it was just me and you with an interest Jarek, so maybe there'll be a larger read at some point in the future.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Yeah i noticed that people bailed on this read:D ill go on and finish it even though I got engulfed by the way of kings and iam using my reading time mostly on this:D

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments gotta cancel this read due to lack of interest/time. Hopefully at some later time it will be picked up again:)

Solseit | 1460 comments I was about to comment Jarek! I really want to re-read and read this series. I just had not considered the amount of books I had on my list (I am not surprised) or the lack of time this month (work, why are you doing this to me?).
What if we add this read between October and November? The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne will be over at that point. I know you might want to read Words of Radiance in October so November might be better - I want to finish it as well.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments whenever there will be some people cimmited to warded iam in just let me know:) as for the words of radiance i plan to finisz it still in september:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments comitted*

Solseit | 1460 comments Jarek wrote: "whenever there will be some people cimmited to warded iam in just let me know:) as for the words of radiance i plan to finisz it still in september:)"

That is really bold! I think Words of Radiance is even longer than The Way of Kings!
I am up for it starting October - I need to finish a number of series (or be updated) so I feel better about my reading habits!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I really got into it and helps my reading speed when iam so in to the whole world. Iam already 20% in. I finished the Way of Kings in like two weeks or so reading mainly on the bus to and from work

message 20: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

We are starting a new buddy read on this book in February 2017. Please feel free to join us.

message 21: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Cool, I'll hop in on that then if we've got a few reading it!

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'm in.

message 23: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Also in.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Nov 08, 2016 11:55AM) (new) - added it

Excellent news. There will be quite a few of us, me included plus Niki and Dani.

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
Nice! That will be fun. :)

message 26: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 34 comments I would recommend the audiobook version. I thought the narrator (Pete Bradbury) did an excellent job. I've already read (listened to, actually) this one but I'd love to join if/when you guys move on to the rest of the series.

message 27: by A.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.J. (adz2011) | 6 comments Funny this is using 'The Warded Man' (defunct name) instead of 'The Painted Man'. It's a page-turner this book, with a great central concept. And it's written in an easy and accessible style. The series is worth persevering with, although nothing is perfect. Mr Brett is something of a 'grimdark' author and likes to use the device of rape in his books a tad too much. (If you want to know more about grimdark and other sub-genres, check https://metaphysicalfantasy.wordpress....) That aside, this is an intelligent and rewarding series. Recommended for those with darker tastes.

message 28: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Andy I'm going to listen to the audio version, so thanks for the recommendation!

message 29: by Mirja (new) - added it

Mirja I would be interested in joining the buddy read in february, too

message 30: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'm also interested, if you don't mind me reading the german edition and getting confused sometimes ;)

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Sweet, this is shaping up to be a large group.

message 32: by Mirja (new) - added it

Mirja Anni wrote: "I'm also interested, if you don't mind me reading the german edition and getting confused sometimes ;)"

Ich werde auch die deutsche Version lesen :)

message 33: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Mirja wrote: "Anni wrote: "I'm also interested, if you don't mind me reading the german edition and getting confused sometimes ;)"

Ich werde auch die deutsche Version lesen :)"

Perfekt! :)

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Can't wait! It's about time I read this. It has been collecting dust forever.

Quinn | 460 comments Lol Same here, I didn't know that I have warded man until i clean up my "library bookcase"

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha that's a problem only us fellow book nerds understand. Bonus book! Yay! ;)

Shaitarn | 1970 comments I'd like to join in on this one if you don't mind (this group is already ruining my 'start reading the books on the top shelf of the bookcase and work your way down' policy! :)).

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hahabyoure welcome to join! And maybe you can just rearrange your bookshelf. ;)

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Just a reminder this starts in a week.

Quinn | 460 comments plus the powder mage sigh

Azrael James | 18 comments I read The Warded Man, and enjoyed parts of it and some of the premise, but over all I thought it could have been better. I did not continue the series.

Quinn | 460 comments I want to read this book so I will finish second powder mage as fast as I can!!!

message 43: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I absolutely loved this book so enjoy! ( Just don't bother with the sequel!)

Ilyas | 17 comments I just started reading Mistborn, but I might try to squeeze this book in with you guys too - bought it over christmas sales.

Solseit | 1460 comments I will come out with it right away. I think I will start with this book today. I messed up my timing (better said, The Crimson Campaign messed it up by being simply spectacular) so I find myself with a "free" evening and I want to be able to finish the book by the end of the week. So don't judge me too harshly but I will start the re-read every today!

Solseit | 1460 comments I forgot how good this book was.
In chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 47: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - added it

No judging here. :)

Solseit | 1460 comments Through Part 1. Having to leave work early to go to an unscheduled appointment to the dr really empowered my reading.

(view spoiler). I am loving this!

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I read the first half of chapter one this morning. The problem is I wanted to be reading the rest of The Crimson Campaign so I had to switch back. Once I complete that, probably tomorrow, I'll pick this up again.

message 50: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I'm only at chapter 4 but it's a struggle to read on. The story hasn't hooked me so far and I don't feel engaged in any of the characters yet either. Really hoping this will change.

« previous 1 3