Virginia Beach Book Club discussion

Bookclub | September 27, 2016

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Ladies,
Here is the placeholder for the next meeting.
Kendra is choosing the book for us.
If you have any suggestions, please send them to her this week.

Bookclub is from 6pm to 7:15pm at Central Library in Virginia Beach.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

message 2: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments Any recommendations for books for Sept? Here are three choices, but if someone has a desire to read something else, please put it out there!

1. The Art of Inside Out, Amy Poehler
2. Lilac Girls, Martha Hall Kelly
3. The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown

message 3: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments I know summer is busy for everyone! Is this something we want to continue or is it not what folks were looking for? I enjoyed both of the books we read and enjoy being able to discuss with fellow readers!
Thanks!
Kendra

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I am interested, my dates just didn't line up for the last two.

message 5: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments Well, let's go with something light and fun to end the summer... Amy Poehler's The Art of Inside Out. Hope we can get a group together on Sept 27 to discuss!

message 6: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments I think I have the wrong book title. That book is an art book from the movie inside out. I think the book is Yes Please.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Kendra,
You are correct.
It is because I goofed and got the wrong Amy on my brain!

Amy Schumer | "The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo"
available to buy from August 16

So sorry!
Understand if you want to choose a different one! :)

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments So the book is Amy Schumer's, right?

message 9: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments Yes, the book is Amy Schumer's The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Thank you ladies! Can't wait to see you there! Please feel free to bring a bevvie with a lid as the library allows it! (Coffee or tea)

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Ladies,
I hope you have had a great two months and enjoyed reading the Amy Schumer book as much as I did. I seriously had people on the airplane in the nail salon looking at me for laughing out loud as much as I did with Amy's comments.

So....can I get an RSVP for those ladies planning to attend tomorrow night.

Kendra and Diane are the only two on this thread but please comment either way so we know who to look for!

Best,
Emily

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments I will not be there tomorrow. Hope to make the next one!

message 13: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments I will not be there this week either, my husband had a medical procedure this week.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily Heather / Kendra-- appreciate you letting me know!

Diane--can you confirm either way by 5pm today?

All others on the thread are welcome but please RSVP by 5pm. It looks like a wet and messy commute from Norfolk so I would really appreciate your RSVP.

I plan to meet those who are attending in the entrance to the atrium at 6pm.

message 15: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Meyer | 14 comments I will not be able to attend this week. Hope to see you next month

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Thank you Peggie.

Sharon / Diane,
Are either of you planning to attend tonight?
So far we are 0 for 3.

Best,
em

message 17: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Meyer | 14 comments Sorry I missed another one. Did anyone attend? Do we have a date for October and a book? Thank you - Peggie

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Hi Ladies.
We did not have anyone attend the bookclub on Tuesday.
I went just in case Diane or Sharon were attending.

Best,
Emily

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I'm so sorry I wasn't there. I neglected to put it on my calendar and didn't see the comments until Wednesday morning. I promise I really want to do this.

message 20: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Meyer | 14 comments Emily - so sorry no one attended. Maybe the last Tuesday of the month is a bad time?? Should we try moving it to the first Tuesday of the month? Just a thought...

Warm Regards,
Peggie

P.S. Any thoughts on a book?

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I agree with Peggie, maybe earlier in the month or perhaps a different night of the week.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Staley | 1 comments Hi, I'm a book lover new to the area. I was wondering if you have an extra spot in your group. If so, I'd love to join in.

Thanks,

Laura

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy Hello, I have lived here for a long time and am a book lover too. If you are still planning to meet up, I would be interested in joining.

Judy

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments It seems as though there was a lot of interest but little follow through (including myself, sadly) but I would still love to get this going. So that being said, Tuesdays didn't work out well for me but Wednesdays should be fine. should we try maybe Wednesday October 26 to meet and pick a book and date for November?

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments I can meet on the 26th.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy That works for me too. Name the time and place.
Judy

message 27: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments I am very interested as well, and normally Wednesdays are good for me as well. I'm not available next week, but let me know the book that you guys pick and the date/time for Nov. Keep in mind the week of Thanksgiving might be tough for people travelling...
Thanks!
Kendra

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I think meeting at the Library makes sense. Would 6:30 work for everyone?

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments I'm new to the group too, but Wednesdays work for me, as does 6:30. Looking forward to it!

message 30: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Meyer | 14 comments Hi - Sadly Wednesdays are not good for me. Can we meet on Tuesdays - say the 1st Tuesday of the month? Would that work for everyone... that would mean: Nov 1, Dec 6, Jan 3 etc?
Warm Regards,
Peggie

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I can't do Tuesdays. Is there another day that works for most?

message 32: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Meyer | 14 comments Mondays or Thursdays work for me...just not Wednesdays most weeks.
Peggie

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments Are we still meeting tomorrow or are we moving to Thursday instead?

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments It looks like Tuesdays and Wednesdays are out - can everyone do Thursday? Also, as far as reserving a room, do we do that online?

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments We can switch to Thursday if that works best for most people. As far as getting a room, there is a fee for that, so I thought we could just grab a table and duscuss, at least for the first one. So, Thursday at 6:30?

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments Works for me - looking forward to it!

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments I can do Thursday at 6:30pm.

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments Thursday it is. See you at the main library at 6:30 on Thursday. Don't forget to have a suggestion or two. We will decide on a book and a date for November.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments By main library, are you referring to the Central Library at 4100 Virginia Beach Blvd?

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments Yes Heather, that's the one I mean. Will we see you on Thursday?

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather Heying | 10 comments Today was actually better for me than tomorrow is. My daughter has tryouts for swim team tomorrow and I'd really like to be there for that.
My book suggestions are: 1. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance as well as 2. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.
I can meet Thursday, December 1st to discuss whatever book is chosen. Thanks!

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Heather. Sorry you can't make it tomorrow. We will discuss your suggestions and will let you know what book is picked and when the next meeting is.

message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I'm at the Library. Hope to see you all here.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments Unfortunately we only had two people tonight. Diane and I met and picked a book, so I will post a new thread. We also are going to move meetings to a coffee shop or book store since there is a fee to reserve a room. Also, we're going to add email and texts since it seems that would be better for most. DM me your contact info if interested. I'll still post meeting dates and locations for any new members.

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments Hey everyone, just a reminder that we're going to meet November 30. If you're still interested in being a part of the club and just can't make it this month, let me know. Or, if you're not able to read the book, still come out to meet everyone and vote on next book! :)

message 46: by Kendra (new)

Kendra DiMichele | 21 comments I plan to be there and have started the book!
Thanks,
Kendra

message 47: by Diane (new)

Diane | 29 comments I'm reading the book now too. Do we want to meet at Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, or the Library? BAM & B&N have no fees, we can sit in their coffee shops and chat at our leisure.

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (byemilyme) | 23 comments I'm fine with either bookstore!