Write Your Heart Out discussion

Professional Screenwriting Tips

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
This thread will be for anyone interested in screenwriting. Hopefully I can share some tips with you that will be helpful.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Great screenwriting tip: Stick to the format. Use the standard screenplay format as a template and just plug in your story. Don't write a screenplay on Microsoft Word without using the screenplay template or some form of screenwriting software.

Trust me it makes the process a lot easier in the end. Stay organized!

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Great screenwriting tip: Try to break down each scene piece by piece so that you don't overwhelm yourself. It's great to outline each act which should bullet-point the scenes and how you plan to navigate the story.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Let me know if you guys need any template movie/tv-show screenplay scripts that you can use as a guide to practice and format your own.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments Lol! I was reading your third post here when I started to think " It would be helpful if he gave an example". Then I read the fourth post!

Yes, it would be nice to have a guide format to be able to direct from.
If it isn't too much trouble, I think it would be nice if we put these tips to use in a kind of 'work shop'.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Esther wrote: "Lol! I was reading your third post here when I started to think " It would be helpful if he gave an example". Then I read the fourth post!

Yes, it would be nice to have a guide format to be able ..."

Sure, sounds like a great idea! I'll put together some guides and templates that you can refer to help keep your story organized. Please let me know anything other questions you may have about screenwriting and I can do my best to get the resource.

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments I have questions about everything! Lol! I'm not sure what specific things I'll have questions about or need help understanding. I guess learning will help me grow. :)

message 8: by Joseph (new)

My Favorite Screenwriting Software Programs I Use:

So we all know that First Draft is the industry standard. However, it's quite pricey. The good thing about First Draft is they recently released Final Draft for iPhone and iPad if you have those types of devices. It's really convenient and pretty user-friendly if you already know how to set your screenplay up in the correct format.

My 2nd favorite program is WritersDuet. It's a free online screenwriting software that I've used on numerous occasions for TV-scripts that I've written.

There are many more but these are my favorites that I have found VERY useful. They even give you the opportunity to collaborate with other writers you maybe working with on the script. The dual collaboration interface gives multiple writers the ability to write, update, and edit one script all at the same time in real-time.

Hope this helps you my fellow screenwriters.

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments I'll look into those! Thanks!! I can't wait to finally start writing a script! Lol!

message 10: by Joseph (new)

When working on the first draft of your script don't focus on editing. Concentrate on getting many ideas and thoughts down on paper as you can. Trust me there will be plenty of time to edit your script.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Does anyone have any questions they would like to ask about screenwriting, getting your work noticed, format, etc.? This is the perfect place. I'm willing to share resources and knowledge I have.

message 12: by Joseph (last edited May 11, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Here are a few screenwriting contests that are cool for those of you intermediate and advanced screenwriters. These competitions are an excellent way to get your feet wet. Also, you get terrific feedback from Top Executives in the industry.

Script Pipeline:
Deadline: May 15, 2018

Through annual competitions, Script Pipeline discovers and develops writers of all levels for film and television, connecting them to producers, agents, and managers. Since 1999, several produced films and over $6 million in screenplay and TV pilot spec sales are credited to Script Pipeline’s unique, intensive process of long-term writer-to-industry facilitation. Contest finalists work with Script Pipeline’s executives year-round, getting broader exposure for their work in addition to continuous, one-on-one development assistance.

Los Angeles Screenplay Contest:
Dates & Deadlines:

October 16, 2017 Opening Date
January 15, 2018 Earlybird Deadline
April 15, 2018 Regular Deadline
July 15, 2018 Late Deadline
October 15, 2018 Extended Deadline
December 1, 2018 Notification Date
December 1, 2018 Event Date

The Los Angeles Screenplay Contest was created to introduce new screenwriters into the world of professional script-writing and to provide recognition to those new and unknown talents looking to forge careers as professional writers in the entertainment industry. As such, the contest stands as a testament to rewarding and recognizing quality storytelling through film.

The LA Screenplay Contest’s primary goal is to recreate the opportunity channels that were once more accessible in Hollywood when agencies were more diverse and working writers mentored bright prodigies. We bring the best of today’s screenwriters to those who seek their talent with the written assurance that we will never own, sell, or misuse any script that enters our competition.

Hollywood Screenplay Contest:
Deadline:

Earlybird Deadline: January 10, 2018
Regular Deadline: April 15, 2018
Late Deadline: June 15, 2018
Extended Deadline: August 10, 2018

Entry Fees:
Earlybird Deadline $30
Regular Deadline $35
Late Deadline $40
Extended Deadline $55

Welcome to the Hollywood Screenplay Contest
As one of the world's most visible and recognized screenplay competitions, our aim, quite simply, is to discover and recognize the brightest new talent and original voices in film and television storytelling from around the world. We identify emerging talent and place top new screenwriters firmly on the industry’s radar directly in the heart of the motion picture capital of the world.

Winners and finalists in several competition categories receive prizes and benefits including cash and exclusive packages from our industry leading partners, and priceless introductions and meetings with some of Hollywood’s top production companies and talent agencies. Over $45,000 in prizes, and services will be awarded to this year’s winning screenwriters and finalists alone.

I'm planning on submitting a few scripts as well. Although, I'm already staffed on a few shows I don't believe in passing up an opportunity.

Good luck and have a beautiful day!