Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Interesting things found in used books... (Pics added)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments My step-son and I hit a big used book sale at the library today. We found some really great buys and a couple of interesting "extras" within the pages.

In a very well worn sci-fi paperback, we found a short "I will love you forever and ever and EVER" note written on an inside cover. It was bittersweet to imagine a young girl giving the love of her life this book as he went off to college where he read it over and over, wearing the pages to shreds just to remember her. But time passed and they grew apart. He didn't have the heart to throw this treasured memory away, but he had to move on. He carried it to the library and asked them to keep it safe for him and now they are passing it on for a new young person to give to the love of their life and so, the circle of life goes on.

Sigh.

message 2: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments The second interesting find of the day was in the book English Passengers. Keep in mind that we are in Maine, in the northeastern part of the United States. The book is written about a fictional boat trip to Tasmania on the search for the Garden of Eden, which is why I bought it. Showing it to my husband he jokingly asked me if there were any pictures in it. I opened up the book and POW, there IS a picture in it. Someone had stuck a block printing of an African woman in the book. It was attached to the front of a handmade card. Flipping through I also found an appointment card for a hospital in GHANA! Apparently the poor woman had had Malaria during a trip to Africa in 2003 and read this book while she was recovering. I hope she didn't miss her appointment!

I will try to post pics a bit later. The uploader isn't being nice to me right now!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Wow. The second example you gave is amazing. I too hope the lady didn't miss her appointment and fully recovered.

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Oh wow. Adventurous!

I only ever find coffee and food stains, dust, hair, something resembling snot, and other undefined fluids.

And slips (with full names of course) of paper from the library lending machines, used as bookmarks then forgotten. (Which is why I never print out the receipts, but use my account details online to keep track of due dates.)

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments OK, now I need to know what a library lending machine might be? Is it a vending machine for books or a computer to check out books?

message 6: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments [img]http://i.imgur.com/I6yl1bu.jpg[/img]
The Screen or block print on cloth, attached to the front of the card

[img]http://i.imgur.com/z7IMcue.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tn5MLzi.jpg[/img]
A bit of TMI!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HtqjHiK.jpg[/img]
Appointment card for the hospital in Chana

message 7: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Amy wrote: "OK, now I need to know what a library lending machine might be? Is it a vending machine for books or a computer to check out books?"

Ah, it is the receipt from either librarians' desk or self-service desk machine. Nothing fancy :)

What an odd collection of things you've scavenged!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Amy, have you done a search to try to find this person? I bet she would love to get that card back if you could find her.

message 9: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments I have briefly. There are a lot of people by that name on the internet. No one in this area seems to fit the age group, assuming she was college age or older when this happened. She may have gotten married since then and changed her name, or has moved on again. I haven't given up hope though. I will continue to look for her as I find time. :-)

message 10: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 1 comments I bought a used copy of Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz for £1, and I don't know how globally known he is but he's a fairly big deal in Britain. Turns out it was signed by him! Albeit, it is dedicated to someone called Joe, but special nonetheless!

message 11: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments Skye wrote: "I bought a used copy of Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz for £1, and I don't know how globally known he is but he's a fairly big deal in Britain. Turns out it was signed by him! Albeit, it is dedic..."

I would be super excited to find an autographed copy of a book, especially of an author that I really like!

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 143 comments I found $20 in a library book once. I've also found birthday cards, children's drawings and business cards. Lots of receipts and enough post-its to wallpaper my house. I found a French train ticket and a field trip permission slip, too. I hope little Timmy got to go to the zoo anyway. The things we absent-mindedly slip into books! I try to remember to shake mine out before I return them.

Yay for finding an autographed copy!

message 13: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments Susan wrote: "I found $20 in a library book once. I've also found birthday cards, children's drawings and business cards. Lots of receipts and enough post-its to wallpaper my house. I found a French train ticket..."

Wow Susan you have found some really great things! I wish I could find money in a book. I would have taken it back to the book sale to buy more books! :-)

message 14: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3227 comments I remember a couple years ago buying a book called The Artist's Way A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity and every margin of every page was filled in with handwritten notes of a private nature. It was an incredibly interesting read, although some parts I skipped over because they just felt TOO personal. It was like opening some stranger's purse and poking around!

I now know to keep or destroy any books that I have written private messages in. I easily could have hunted this woman down from all the info she put in the book, from her full name to the names of her family and places she has lived and traveled. It was kind of scary to think about actually. I have a self-help book in my trunk that is going on the fire this evening. Nobody needs to read what was written in there!