Play Book Tag discussion

The Chosen (Reuven Malther, #1)
This topic is about The Chosen
Archive: Other Books > The Chosen by Chaim Potok - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Aug 01, 2016 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5130 comments I read this book only because it was assigned reading for my daughter and I was curious about it. Once I started it I found it hard to put down, and absolutely loved it. It's a coming-of-age story of a friendship between two Jewish boys, set in America during World War II, as well as their relationships with their fathers, who are philosophical opposites. Aside from that it provides a rich window into the differences between the Hasidic and the more sectarian Jews. Knowing nothing at all about the Jewish religion made this fascinating to me, and it's easy to see why the school assigned it. I also found very interesting the struggle for the establishment of a Jewish state and the divisions it caused between the factions in favor of and opposed to it. Highly recommended.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sounds good. I'll tell our teenaged niece. :-)

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments annapi wrote: "I read this book only because it was assigned reading for my daughter and I was curious about it. Once I started it I found it hard to put down, and absolutely loved it. It's a coming-of-age story ..."

I read this when it was first published, 1970s maybe, and it remains one of my favorites. I had no idea it's now assigned reading, but I'm glad to see that it is. The author's other books are also very good.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read this back in 2012 and liked it. There is also a movie which is quite good and stays true to the book.

message 5: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 435 comments Chaim Potok is one of my favorite authors. If you liked this book, I highly recommend My Name is Asher Lev,