Space Opera Fans discussion

Armor
This topic is about Armor
Previous BOTM Threads > Armor by John Steakley

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greeting Space Opera Fans!

Pew-pew-pew-pew!!!
Pew-pew-pew!!!
Pew! BUGGERS!!!

I sure love a good military space opera! 'Nuff said...

Armor by John Steakley John Steakley

Felix is an Earth soldier, encased in special body armor designed to withstand Earth's most implacable enemy-a bioengineered, insectoid alien horde. But Felix is also equipped with internal mechanisms that enable him, and his fellow soldiers, to survive battle situations that would destroy a man's mind.

This is a remarkable novel of the horror, the courage, and the aftermath of combat--and how the strength of the human spirit can be the greatest armor of all.

ARE YOU READING ARMOR? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, find some Book Buddies to read it with 'ya, and discuss it with some like-minded space opera junkies. Just remember to be kind, please, and use the spoiler html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who's not so far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

Trike | 589 comments On a whim while at an airport decades ago I picked up Steakley's novel Vampire$ because the blurb on the cover hooked me. I liked it well enough that I found his earlier novel, Armor.

After Starship Troopers and The Forever War (and the movie Aliens), I thought Armor was so-so. A bit unfocused and overly long.

However, an interesting tidbit I noticed on the copyright page of Vampire$ is a note reading: "This Jack Crow is no other Jack Crow. This Felix is no other Felix." turns out those character names appear in both books.

I've often wondered if he was making some sort of metacommentary on alternate lives or something.

message 3: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments I really enjoyed Vampire$, smashing page-turner. Not read Armor yet, but looking forward to it. I'm not sure if the shared character names is a meta commentary or just a fondness from the author for the characters. Those were Steakley's only two novels, and maybe he was just attached to certain aspects of them and reimagined them in a different setting. He also has a building called the Antwar Saloon in Vampire$, and in Armor they are fighting the Ant War, so perhaps he just came to find a way to remix elements that he loved for a different purpose.

Either way, looking forward to the read! But Remanence first for me.

message 4: by Fiannawolf (new) - added it

Fiannawolf | 163 comments Ill give this a looks-see after tampa comic con. Been kinda MIA on the book side of things lately.

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments I'll agree with Trike's comments about this novel. It certainly was not in the same league as other well know Military Sci Fi novels that I have read. With that said, it did have a fair amount of action and a good finish. I believe that the author could have written sequels that would have been interesting to detail more of the lives of the central characters.