2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Mary Beth's Reading Plan August 206

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Beth (last edited Aug 31, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Play Dead
✔End of Watch★★★★
Sweetheart
Suspect
Murder on St. Mark's Place by Victoria Thom
✔Faithful Place Tana French ★★
✔A Darker Shade of Magic★★★★
✔Rubbernecker★★★★★
The Soul Catcher By Alex Kavs
I Let You Go
Immortal in Death by JD Robb
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
Die Trying
Open Season by C.J. Box
✔Well-Schooled in Murder★★★★
Burial Rites
The Passage
✔A Cold Dark Place★★★★
Between Shades of Gray
Deadly Savage
Fatal Affair by Marie Force
✔Indelible by Karin Slaughter★★★★★
Broken Angels by Graham Masterton
Corrupted by Lisa Scottoline
✔Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben★★★★★★
✔The Missing★★★★.5
Void
The short drop
Twisted
✔What remains of heaven★★★★
✔The Red Queen★★
Guilty Minds★★★★

message 2: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Stephanie! Its mainly copy and paste the books I didnt read last month then added a few more.

message 3: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I forgot What Remains in Heaven, as you can tell my list isnt done yet.

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Yes I am! Really looking forward to it! How about you, are you ready? I have the book, wish I had the ebook

message 5: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Awesome! I want the ebook and I have the ebook on hold at the library over a month now so hopefully it will come in by Friday. That would be great.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments LOVE your list, Mary Beth!

message 7: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 663 comments Another great list!!

message 8: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Kris and Viki!

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2511 comments I hope you like Marie Force's Fatal series. It's addictive.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments I read A Cold Dark Place last month. Loved it. The Fatal Series is one I want to start.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Great list, Mary Beth. I read The Passage a few years ago when my brother-in-law loaned me his copy to read while I recovered from surgery. It was a little slow to start but it wasn't long before I got really into it. I had no idea at the time that it was the first book in a trilogy though (and my BIL never mentioned it) so I was totally unprepared for the ending, lol.

Your list also reminds me to get back to the Inspector Gamache series. :-)

message 12: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Robin wrote: "I hope you like Marie Force's Fatal series. It's addictive."

Yea I am really looking forward to starting this series. I hear that its a series that I will want to binge read.

message 13: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Laura wrote: "I read A Cold Dark Place last month. Loved it. The Fatal Series is one I want to start."

Thanks Laura! Looking forward to reading bothl

message 14: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica wrote: "Great list, Mary Beth. I read The Passage a few years ago when my brother-in-law loaned me his copy to read while I recovered from surgery. It was a little slow to start but it wasn't long before I..."

Veronica I have been waiting forever for the. fifth book in the Gamache series to come in ftom the library for the ebook.

Also The Passsage is due back to the library so will have to wait agsin for it.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Great list Mary. I've had Burial Rites on my TBR for a while so would be interested in what you think of it once you've read it.

message 16: by Mary Beth (last edited Aug 09, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Angela! I will let you know, unfortunately I recently had to take it back to the library so will have to wait till I get it back.

I finished What Remains of Heaven and loved it! It was full of surprises. I loooved the ending

Also finished Well-Schooled in Murder and it was so good also.

message 17: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I just finished Indelible and loved it. My first 5 star read this month.

I loved all three books so far this month.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Sounds like a great start to the month!

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Veronica! I really enjoyed them!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4433 comments Mod
Excellent list, Mary Beth.

So glad that you enjoyed Indelible and What Remains of Heaven. Hope you enjoy all the others as much :0)

message 22: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Lauren!

message 23: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I finished A Darker Shade of Magic and enjoyed it, it was so different than what I usually read. I listened to the audiobook.

I also read Faithful Place by Tana French. I did not like this one. It could of been a lot better. The book just seemed to drag on and on. It would get to a suspenseful part several times then just stop. All the suspense came at the ending, but just not enough. It was a 400 pg plus more, which could of been written in 150 pages.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11255 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I also read Faithful Place by Tana French. I did not like this one. It could of been a lot better. The book just seemed to drag on and on. It would get to a suspenseful part several times then just stop. All the suspense came at the ending, but just not enough. It was a 400 pg plus more, which could of been written in 150 pages. ..."

I had the same problem with her first book.

message 25: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I agree, the first book had a big question which was never answered. I thought it would be answered in the second book but it wasn't. It took me a year to get to this book after I read the second book. So many people tell me to read the next book, and I will love it. Well I never did. I have given this series way too many chances and I am now divorcing it lol! It has now finally ended for me.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

I got the same advice but was so irritated with the unresolved ending and the overly descriptive prose.

message 27: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments It was so overly descriptive. Every little thing she had to describe. I remember her describing red thread in her second book and went on and on describing it. I was thinking its only a peice of thread why in the world would you describe a peice of thread. It was a buddy read and we just about died how she kept on describing things with her descriptive pose.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Mary wrote: "I finished A Darker Shade of Magic and enjoyed it, it was so different than what I usually read. I listened to the audiobook.

Great to hear you enjoyed this book Mary. I read Vicious this year by Schwab and thought it was great.

message 29: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Yeah the author is a good writer Angela. I am looking forward to reading the second book next month.

message 30: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Just finished End of Watch by Stephen King and loved it!

message 31: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I finished Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. It was awesome. I just love this author. He has a new book called Home which is # 11 of the Myron Bolitar Series. I cant wait to read it. Actually I think it comes out this month.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

I'm looking forward to reading Fool Me Once! I've got it on audio and am waiting for that version of Home to show up on the OverDrive site. I've listened to the entire series.

message 33: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments It is so good Jonetta! I couldnt put it down! I also am looking forward to Home to show up on the Overdrive site. Its a fantastic series.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Mary wrote: "Just finished End of Watch by Stephen King and loved it!"

I am going to start this series next year for sure.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Mary wrote: "It is so good Jonetta! I couldnt put it down! I also am looking forward to Home to show up on the Overdrive site. Its a fantastic series."

Looking forward to this one. I am listening to one his older books right now Six Years and always am intrigued!

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Mary wrote: "I finished Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. It was awesome. I just love this author. He has a new book called Home which is # 11 of the Myron Bolitar Series. I cant wai..."

So this is a series? Why did I think he only wrote standalones?

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Yes, he has a series called Myron Bolitar. He is a former basketball player turned sports agent. He wrote this series before he got into standalone novels...the series has a bit more humour in them.

I thought he wrote standalone novels as well so picked up his newer book and discovered it was a series.

message 38: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Kris I loved Six Years! It is so good!

message 39: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica wrote: "Mary wrote: "I finished Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. It was awesome. I just love this author. He has a new book called Home which is # 11 of the Myron Bolitar Series.

Yes he does have s series called Myron Bolitar. The first book isDeal Breaker. Loved it Veronica!

message 40: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Yes, he has a series called Myron Bolitar. He is a former basketball player turned sports agent. He wrote this series before he got into standalone novels...the series has a bit more humour in them..."

I bet you were surprised. There is 10 books ahead of it too. Well you have some good reading ahead of you Kris?

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments I was totally surprised...I think I read Promise Me and then started back with Deal Breaker and I caught up when the last book was out. It was a good series. I think I have a couple of Coben's standalone novels to read. I missed a few in the middle as I was catching up on Myron, lol.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "So this is a series? Why did I think he only wrote standalones?..."

The series went on a 5-year hiatus so we're sort of gaga about the upcoming new release. Coben said he had a lot of stories in him that just didn't fit Myron.

I can't wait!

message 43: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I cant wait to read Home! I miss Myron!

message 44: by Mary Beth (last edited Aug 24, 2016 09:29PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I read Red Queen and it really bored me. I gave it 2 stars

I read The Missing by Chris Mooney and loved loved loved it. It was so good. I cant wait for the second book next month.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Thanks for all the info on the Myron Bolitar series, ladies. I'll have to give it a try now. :-)

message 46: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica I would love to know your thoughts after you read the first book. The whole series has lots of twists and turns.

message 47: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I finished A Cold Dark Place and Guilty Minds and both were so good!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Veronica wrote: "Thanks for all the info on the Myron Bolitar series, ladies. I'll have to give it a try now. :-)"

Welcome and anytime, Veronica!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Mary wrote: "I finished A Cold Dark Place and Guilty Minds and both were so good!"

I agree about A Cold Dark Place! Thanks for getting me to finally read this.