Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
DISCUSSION THREADS COMING SOON...

Julie (julie_prewett) Can't wait!!! :-)

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Is anyone far enough into the book yet to contribute some discussion questions?

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

For anyone who's interested (where has everyone gone?! LOL), I'll start generating some discussion questions for the group for our current fiction read, "The Book Thief." I'm going to open up some new threads.

Julie (julie_prewett) I'm at page 110 or so. Great book so far. I'll go over to other discussion and answer the first question. :-)

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Thanks, Julie! I feel like our group has gotten a lil sluggish! ;-)

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Has anyone finished the book yet? Sadly, I'm way behind so I may have to extend the deadline for me personally. Hehe, such is life...

Julie (julie_prewett) I am about halfway through. I am trying to pace myself so I dont finish too early.

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Ah, I see! Good on you J for making it that far! I don't even want to reveal where I am. I'm THAT far behind.

Kelsey I'm a little over 30% into the book. I've had to put it on hold a little bit, because I have books out at another library that I've been desperately trying to finish, since they're due very soon! But after The Sugar Queen is finished, which should be in the upcoming week, I'm going to start on When Autumn Leaves and that way, I'll only have to worry about that one book, instead of two, so I should have more time to read The Book Thief which I'm loving by the way!

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Glad to hear you're enjoying The Book Thief, Kelsey!

Julie (julie_prewett) Allison, Just checking to make sure you have gotten a little more ahead on your book! :-)

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Not really Julie, but I'm trying! ;-)

message 14: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Where is everyone now with the book? Just checking on progress. To be honest, I don't think we have too many people reading and checking in so I haven't really been motivated to post discussion questions. If you'd like to post some discussions, please do! We need something to bring more people to these neglected threads!

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 804 comments Mod
I just started this a few days ago and have made it to chapter 31 (toward the end of part 4).

I'm having a hard time with all the allusions death makes. I find myself getting distracted by them, wondering what they could refer to and if, in fact, they will be addressed later or get neglected.

I feel like this is a book that should be read at a fairly quick pace so everything stays somewhat fresh in the mind. If I tried to read this slowly, I think I'd forget so many things that I wouldn't be able to appreciate it (which I'm at risk for anyway!)

I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts about it!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This was a book I enjoyed reading a couple years back. I thought Death as the narrator was a totally new concept! :)

message 17: by StarMan (last edited May 15, 2017 09:30PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Margaret wrote: "This was a book I enjoyed reading a couple years back. I thought Death as the narrator was a totally new concept! :)"

It is pretty rare to have a well-done (not gimmicky) unreliable or mysterious narrator, especially Mister Death ;)

Here are a few other books where GR (Grim Reaper, not GoodReads!) has a say:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/7...

I also thought this was an interesting related post:
http://bekindrewrite.com/2011/09/09/t...

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Bradshaw This is one of my favourite books, but it's a couple of years since I read it. I found it very moving, and the portrayal of Death was eye-opening. Once you can get past how weird that seems at first, hearing Death speak and think as this separate, and quite sympathetic, character, I think the book starts to draw you in.
The problem too though, for those having difficulty engaging here, could be that the book is so different from the film adaptation, and many people approach it now with those kinds of 'filmic' expectations in mind. I feel as though the film does the book a disservice in some ways, and the whole section with the 'book within the book' and the 'Standover Man' can never really work in a movie. You have to read it quietly to allow it to work its magic, I think.
Anyway, this is another of those to add to my list of 'must read again sometime!' so thanks for reminding me about it!

message 19: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Bradshaw StarMan wrote: "Margaret wrote: "This was a book I enjoyed reading a couple years back. I thought Death as the narrator was a totally new concept! :)"

It is pretty rare to have a well-done (not gimmicky) unreliab..."

StarMan wrote: "Margaret wrote: "This was a book I enjoyed reading a couple years back. I thought Death as the narrator was a totally new concept! :)"

It is pretty rare to have a well-done (not gimmicky) unreliab..."

Interesting links - thanks, StarMan!