The Sword and Laser discussion

Fantasy Westerns/Weird West suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyabear) | 44 comments I'm looking for books that are fantasy and westerns (I think the term is Weird West?). It doesn't necessarily have to be the American West with magic. I'd actually be more welcome to books with secondary worlds, though I'm looking for both. Graphic novels/comics are also appreciated. Any suggestions?

message 2: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1624 comments The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers is a comic series that would match that pretty well. It's a bit Buffy in the old west. I don't know how many GN's there are of it, but the series just wrapped up a couple of months ago. I'm not a big fan of horror comics, but I liked this one.

I see you've read a bunch of Brandon Sanderson, but not his take on this, I enjoyed The Alloy of Law but have not read the other couple in the series.

And if you want some tv, check out the old series "Brisco County Jr." It didn't run long, but was a bit of x-files in the old west staring Bruce Campbell.

message 3: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments The Half-Made World is a secondary world Weird West novel with a very unique magic system. I loved it, would highly recommend.

message 4: by ladymurmur (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

ladymurmur | 150 comments Silver on the Road and Thirteenth Child
Both are alternate American West settings, with quite different flavors, and both delicious. :-)

ETA: a weird western anthology - Westward Weird

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4208 comments FWIW Steampunk Trails has some pretty good shorts.

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3654 comments Mod
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie is a western in the "First Law" world.

It is the 6th book in the series, but can be read as a stand alone. it probably works best if you have read the first 3 books in the series.

Stephen King's Dark Tower 7 Book series is essentially a sci-fi/fantasy western.

message 7: by nickytwothumbs (new)

nickytwothumbs | 18 comments You could try Dead West by Tim Marquitz/J.M.Martin/Kenny Soward - zombie sin the old west

message 8: by nickytwothumbs (new)

nickytwothumbs | 18 comments Or Tales of the Far West - an anthology of Asian flavoured weird west tales

PS. I'm not sure this app likes working on an iPad...

message 9: by Daryl (new)

Daryl | 92 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Red Country by Joe Abercrombie is a western in the "First Law" world.

It is the 6th book in the series, but can be read as a stand alone. it probably works best if ..."

Red Country is currently my favorite of Abercrombie's work.

message 10: by Joel (new)

Joel The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson.

It is a sequel series to the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson taking place 300 years later. You can read the Alloy of Law without reading Mistborn, you might just not understand everything about the history of the world that the characters reference, but otherwise it doesn't prevent you from enjoying the story, characters, and world. I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2551 comments A few that I've read and enjoyed in the past couple of years are The Dead of Winter and She Returns From War by Lee Collins, and The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyabear) | 44 comments Thanks for all these suggestions! I just added a lot of books to my to-read list.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6910 comments Mod
Dark Tower had been mentioned, and would be my top recommendation too. There are comics associated with it too. I havent read them yet, but I'd say check the books out first.

Some of the comics rehash the books, but some of them fill in the gaps. The comics aren't written by King however.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2551 comments I always forget to look at lists here on Goodreads. Here's a Weird Westerns list

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments Try the The Sisters Brothers, one of my favorites. It has a slight relationship to SF, but not much.

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren A weird west thread with no mention of Joe R. Lansdale?

Shame.

message 17: by Robobobo (new)

Robobobo If you're interested in roleplaying games, I'd recommend a look at Deadlands: The Weird West Roleplaying Game

message 18: by Dharmakirti (last edited Aug 04, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Emma Bull's Territory is something I have heard good things about. I've not read it myself, however, I did really like her urban fantasy novel War For the Oaks.

message 19: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments On the graphic novel/comic book side- East of West by Jonathan Hickman definitely fits that description. There are 5 volumes available now, with the 6th due in October.

Synopsis- A science-fiction Western set in a dystopian America, casts the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as heroes. Of these four characters, Hickman describes Death - a "Clint Eastwood-y" man wearing a suit, cowboy hat and skull bolo tie - as someone who feels "betrayed", and the others (War, Famine and Conquest) as feeling "abandoned." [via Wikipedia]

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I would second the suggestion of "The Six-Gun Tarot" by R.S. Belcher, and it's sequel "The Shotgun Arcana". There is an excerpt from the Six-Gun Tarot at tor.com: http://www.tor.com/2012/11/20/the-six... . It's tone is creepy/dark and there are a ton of influences from different genres. Definitely solidly hits the "weird" part of weird western.

The Six-Gun Tarot
The Shotgun Arcana

message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments In addition to East of West, Pretty Deadly is supposed to be very good. And I believe preacher, both the comic and the new show, could be considered a kind of western.

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fugate | 13 comments Dead Man's Hand is a great weird west short story collection edited by John Joseph Adams

message 23: by nickytwothumbs (new)

nickytwothumbs | 18 comments You could also try Six Gun Gorilla - a bit more sci-fi-y but I think it qualifies...

message 24: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 111 comments Definitely look into Iron Council by China Mieville. Fantastic book with Wild West influences, and certainly pretty weird.

message 25: by Dave (last edited Aug 05, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Dave Wallace | 8 comments I liked this for fantasy western, something really unexpected.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 26: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Darren wrote: "A weird west thread with no mention of Joe R. Lansdale?

Shame."

I was gonna say...I found Zeppelins West and Dead in the West enjoyably quick reads. There was another Lansdale story in Jeff Vandermeer's first Steampunk anthology, "The Steam Man of the Prairie and the Dark Rider Get Down: A Dime Novel" I also liked.

Catherynne Valente's Six-Gun Snow White is another good read.

message 27: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 591 comments Mark wrote: "A few that I've read and enjoyed in the past couple of years are The Dead of Winter and She Returns From War by Lee Collins, and The Six-Gun Tarot by..."

I enjoyed The Six Gun Tarot very much as well, the sequel was ok, but not as good, I felt

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orneck (amandaorneck) I don't know if you're a member of Inkshares, but there's a book funding right now called Devil's Call which sounds right up your alley. It's about a pregnant witch taking revenge on the outlaws that killed her husband.

message 29: by Winterking (new)

Winterking | 2 comments I know of two that no one has mentioned on here. Now you may have to track them down, but they are so worthy of a book hunt. They are, The Devil's Engine and The Devil's Tower, by Mark Sumner. Both are wierd west novels that are also alternate history. Both are some of my favorites. There are also quite a few excellent recommendation of other wierd west books, but you need to find these two if you really like these types of stories.

message 30: by Rue Lazzaro (new)

Rue Lazzaro | 1 comments Ooh! Time for me to plug my book! Thunder in Marrow is in the G&S fantasy contest right now. I too was bummed at the lack of weird west fantasy novels -- so I wrote one. :) check it out on inkshares.

message 31: by Brad (new)

Brad Haney | 400 comments I'd second Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. It's western fantasy and it's definitely weird.

message 32: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 268 comments StoryBundle is currently running a Weird Western Bundle. Those are a good way to sample a variety.

https://storybundle.com/weird